Old Amps - I Can Hardly Believe My Ears

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Old Amps - I Can Hardly Believe My Ears
« Reply #20 on: 20 Feb 2012, 07:55 am »
Ilike 300B tube amps like the Cary 300SEI and the WooWA5LE but I was reluctant because the price for good NOS tubes in insanity. WE going for 1000 and up for a single tube. I have little confidence that the newer 300 B tubes from China would be bette ror near as good in quality and they are about 175.00 tube so I have stayed away from those types of amps. My Decware run on EL84 and NOS Sylvania run me about 40-50 tube  NOS and I am stacking up on the the blackplates as they are getting scarce. I have enough EL84 for about 8-10 years. So it less expensive to run and granted they don't have the 300B sound but to get the best out  of a 300B amp you need to spend lots and lots of money for the NOS. EL34 amps are nice too.

I'm using both Black Treasure and Psvane 300B's with my Manley 300B and I'm totally stoked with the sound - hit a sale and they don't break the bank, either. Paying 1G + per tube for NOS WE 300B's is nuckin' futz IMHO.

D.D.

davpowerslave

« Reply #21 on: 9 Apr 2012, 03:57 am »
New here.  Just thought i would add that a few years back i had a NAD C320BEE with a headphone out and thought it sounded pretty damn good.  Not quite up to my old headamp v2 amp but pretty damn close.  Ultimately i upgraded the integrated because it made no sense keeping a huge integrated just for headphone out.  Just my 2 cents.

7x57

« Reply #22 on: 14 Sep 2012, 03:49 pm »
My AKG HEARO 999 transmitter base has a jack for wired headphones. It is perfect with my AKG K601 headphones. No surprise there, it was a pro level tool for engineers. If you use DT880 headphones, the recessed midrange becomes more recessed. With midrange forward AKG headphones, the midrange is just about perfect and the K601 headphones become very well balanced across the entire frequency range. It has very good drive capability, because many AKG pro headphones are somewhat hard to drive. The entire setup was $650 for the setup with two headsets, and the aluminum carrying case. A pro unit all the way, and the transmitter base is also an excellent DAC and a nice little preamp with its variable output. The adjustability of the sound, synthesized reverberant soundfields, surround sound, and all, are far beyond what comes on higher priced "audiophile" headamps that have far less real engineering and do far less. I use the DAC in the transmitter base instead of the one in my SACD player because it is better. The HEARO 999 flew under the radar of most headphone nuts, but then again, it was mainly made for sound engineers.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #23 on: 14 Sep 2012, 11:18 pm »
Years agoI had a 'spare' Yamaha amp, a big one, which also had a headphone jack.
I wish i had not sold it!!!

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #24 on: 15 Sep 2012, 03:09 am »
The headphone out on my SX-1250 is as good as any of the high priced spread I've
heard.  Something about boat loads of headroom...even on efficient phones.
Hibuck...