Meters, I want them

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Meters, I want them
« on: 19 Jan 2012, 06:30 pm »
My first piece of true hifi gear was a phase linear 400 series 2 power amp.
  :lol:
 my eye has always been drawn to gear with meters. I wonder why more companies don't implement them. they will spend big $ on machined aluminum but what draws my eye is

why don't more manufactures add this piece of eye candy. I know it adds nothing sonically to the mix  but i really like to see those meters moving.

Wayner

Re: Meters, I want them
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2012, 07:11 pm »

8)

Delta Wave

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2012, 07:22 pm »
I feel the same way, those old Onkyo, Yamaha & some of the Carver stuff sure did look cool. I've been tossing around the idea of building just a box o' meters as a stand alone component. You know... for that OOOOH factor.

Delta Wave

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2012, 07:22 pm »

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2012, 07:30 pm »

i always love looking at the pumpkin kings McIntosh (not his but close)

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2012, 07:32 pm »
I feel the same way, those old Onkyo, Yamaha & some of the Carver stuff sure did look cool. I've been tossing around the idea of building just a box o' meters as a stand alone component. You know... for that OOOOH factor.

Id be interested i have a set of spare line out terminals on my pre amp.  can it be done?

mca

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2012, 08:57 pm »

One of my first amps. I loved to make those meters dance!

Delta Wave

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2012, 09:01 pm »
Id be interested i have a set of spare line out terminals on my pre amp.  can it be done?

That's the route I was thinking about as well. Can it be done? I dunno, I will have to look into it.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2012, 09:05 pm »
If you're handy with DIY and love meters, consider this:

How-to instructions at http://www.tronola.com/html/level_meter.html.

kingdeezie

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2012, 09:08 pm »
I used to have a Pass Labs 250.5. It was probably the most beautiful looking amplifier I have ever owned, if not the most synergistic with my setup.

It sure was nice to look at.

*Scotty*

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2012, 10:08 pm »
I like meters too, even if what they tell you is a lie. I would settle for a light that lit up when or if clipping occurs.
 My favorites were the Marantz meters followed by the McIntosh, blue don'tcha know.
Scotty

AVnerdguy

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2012, 10:42 pm »
There are numerous pre built panels for the Broadcast industry. Expensive - but available. Here's one example of some that I use. Google analog audio meter panels

http://www.newburysystems.co.uk/htmlsite/products.asp?step=2&id=13&pstring=13

Another:
http://audio-video-supply.markertek.com/broadcasting/Led%20Vu%20Meter

KJ

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2012, 11:58 pm »
Quote from: ecramer
I know it adds nothing sonically to the mix  but i really like to see those meters moving.

With the Pass, you ideally won't have the meters moving because it would mean you're leaving Class A.   However, they are still purty at night.  :thumb: 

Frisco

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2012, 11:58 pm »
My McIntosh Mc402 meter...I was actually thinking of leaning the other way..... no meters ie. Bryston 4BSST2.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2012, 12:51 am »
Hi Ed meters you say

Delta Wave

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2012, 12:55 am »

Pez

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jan 2012, 01:04 am »
Can I ask an honest question, Why? Why does anyone care about a useless meter that doesn't really tell you anything important? It's basically just bling like those guys everyone loves that go rolling down the road at 2am with neon effects and spinning hubcaps. I mean seriously they serve absolutely no purpose.  :scratch:

*Scotty*

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2012, 01:25 am »
They're purty that's why. Of course they could tell us something useful about peak and average power consumption if enough money was spent on the driving circuitry to ensure some measure of accuracy.
As it is I like the color blue.
Scotty

OzarkTom

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan 2012, 01:47 am »
These NYAL 250 pound OTL monos were nice to look and listen to.

Here is some more info on these amps.
http://www.meta-gizmo.net/tri/nyal/nyal_art.html

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan 2012, 02:41 am »
Can I ask an honest question, Why? Why does anyone care about a useless meter that doesn't really tell you anything important? It's basically just bling like those guys everyone loves that go rolling down the road at 2am with neon effects and spinning hubcaps. I mean seriously they serve absolutely no purpose.  :scratch:

unlike those thumpy little cars i find them to be ascetically pleasing SANSUI BA 3000 POWER AMP TEST although he could find a better preamp