Bryston 2012 New Models

SoundGame

Re: Bryston 2012 New Models
« Reply #60 on: 27 Jan 2012, 09:56 pm »

I bought my 7B SST2's over the 14B because they provide double the power supply capacitance and therefore have more available for those  peak power requirements.  As such, the 14B is not 2 7B's in one chassis.  For my money the 7B is the sweet spot in the Bryston lineup.  On the issue of 2 4B's in bridged mono being equivalent to a pair of 7B's, the bridged 4's will see half the impedence that the 7B will see and therefore suffer a degradation in performance.  They'll be brought to their knees popping fuses in demanding situations while the 7's are taking a walk in the park.

However, Mike pointed out in the other thread that the 7B is actually a bridged design that sees half the impendence of a connected load - so it's just the way the 7B is built that allows it to work bridged optimally.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2012, 01:42 am by SoundGame »

spinner

« Reply #61 on: 27 Jan 2012, 10:44 pm »
  Is it not series but parerall (bad spelling) design ?

Alpha10

« Reply #62 on: 31 Jan 2012, 07:25 pm »
However, Mike pointed out in the other thread that the 7B is actually a bridged design that sees half the impendence of a connected load - so it's just the way the 7B is built that allows it to work bridged optimally.

A thought struck me on the train home: I had, up until this thread, not realised that the 7B was the same as a 4B, just designed to work optimally bridged. So all this talk of a lovely mono 4B, James, why not just take a 3B and do the same thing to make it also optimally bridged mode, a mini 7B??

Cheers

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #63 on: 31 Jan 2012, 08:50 pm »
 Now there's another good notion. How about that James, could it fly.? :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #64 on: 31 Jan 2012, 08:59 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All things are possible - just not enough time :duh: :duh: :duh:

james

Alpha10

« Reply #65 on: 31 Jan 2012, 09:05 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

james

I hear you, but, we have had a go for you James, are you going to share with us now, some of your ideas on what this year might bring? We promise to keep it to ourselves?  :D

Cheers

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #66 on: 31 Jan 2012, 11:07 pm »
  Likewise..... I swear by the blood (not to say a thing).......... :bowdown:

skunark

« Reply #67 on: 1 Feb 2012, 02:41 am »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

james

What's not released or about to be shipped?  Seems like there should be more products  or updates in the pipe.

SoundGame

« Reply #68 on: 1 Feb 2012, 09:20 pm »
The suspense is killing me softly....

James - I totally understand if you can't really release new product details, if the timing isn't right but perhaps, out of the kindness of your heart, share with us some more general answers on 2012 plans:

1) Will there be any new products (other than BHA) launched in 2012?

2) Does Bryston plan to release any new versions / successors to any of the models in it's current line-up?

3) Will Bryston be doing anything to formally commemorate / recognize an anniversary this year?

Any more details on the above would be greatly appreciated.... :wink:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #69 on: 2 Feb 2012, 12:44 am »
The suspense is killing me softly....

James - I totally understand if you can't really release new product details, if the timing isn't right but perhaps, out of the kindness of your heart, share with us some more general answers on 2012 plans:

1) Will there be any new products (other than BHA) launched in 2012?

2) Does Bryston plan to release any new versions / successors to any of the models in it's current line-up

3) Will Bryston be doing anything to formally commemorate / recognize an anniversary this year?

Any more details on the above would be greatly appreciated.... :wink:

Hi folks

No replacement products planned - certainly considering adding addition products to our lineup.

James

SoundGame

« Reply #70 on: 2 Feb 2012, 02:28 am »

Hi folks

No replacement products planned - certainly considering adding addition products to our lineup.

James

Fair enough - thanks!  We look forward to hearing the plans when you're ready and providing any thoughts, feedback we can that might help. :thumb:

Jocknoz

« Reply #71 on: 2 Feb 2012, 05:04 am »
What about B300 integrated. :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 2 Feb 2012, 11:48 am »
What about B300 integrated. :thumb:

A new integrated is a good idea but not a high powered one. For that you need a separate pre and power. I think a more powerful B100 makes some sense.

James

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #73 on: 2 Feb 2012, 11:54 am »
A new integrated is a good idea but not a high powered one. For that you need a separate pre and power. I think a more powerful B100 makes some sense.

James
Hi James,
The B100 is enough power for a sensitive 100dB speaker, what is rare on the market today is a Monoblock Integrated Amp to put the CD player on center and the amps near the speakers for short interconnect and speaker cable;
My 2 cents

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 2 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm »
Hi James,
The B100 is enough power for a sensitive 100dB speaker, what is rare on the market today is a Monoblock Integrated Amp to put the CD player on center and the amps near the speakers for short interconnect and speaker cable;
My 2 cents

Sorry - did you mean a low powered mono basic amp not an Integrated amp?

james

Alpha10

« Reply #75 on: 2 Feb 2012, 06:53 pm »

Hi folks

James

You tease  :D

Just give me a chance to pay for the SP3 and then I am all yours  :oops: Unless it is the BDE-1 then that jumps the queue  :thumb:

Cheers

SoundGame

« Reply #76 on: 2 Feb 2012, 07:02 pm »
Hi James,
My 2 cents

100db SPL sensitivity speakers are not the norm, unless you're into PA / DJ speakers... :scratch: 

SoundGame

« Reply #77 on: 2 Feb 2012, 07:20 pm »

James

I like that Bryston's amplifier products are typically tied to a doubling of power or +3dB:

2B: 100wpc
3B: 150wpc
4B: 300wpc
7B/14B: 600wpc
28B: 1000wpc (perhaps closer to 1200wpc)

This is true for all but the 2B but hitting the 100wpc (rather than 75 wpc) was probably good for sales/marketing. 

The B60 is the entry-level, perhaps this should actually be a B75?  (a little more power there):scratch:
The B100 makes sense to align with the 2B but there is an opportunity to bring in a new B150, which would be a 3B integrated couterpart!  That would be very attractive, indeed - in fact, I would have been very tempted to go such a root over my BP6+4B-SST2 combo, if the price had been right on a B150-SST2. (James - is this making any sense?)

OH - just noticed - the website drop down should lable/name the B100 and B60R as SST ie. B100-SST and B60-SST, to be consistent with the brochure and the other amplifier names in the dropdowns.

srb

« Reply #78 on: 2 Feb 2012, 07:44 pm »
100db SPL sensitivity speakers are not the norm, unless you're into PA / DJ speakers... :scratch:

While I agree that it's not the norm and that they represent a small percentage of speakers sold, there are a variety of high-efficiency home audio speakers available that are not PA or DJ speakers, from horn-types like the Klipsch (Klipschorn - 105dB, La Scala II - 105dB, Cornwall III - 102dB and Heresy III -  99dB) to high-efficiency full-range + tweeter like Zu (Definition Mk.IV - 101dB, Soul Superfly - 101dB).

It's just another way to approach system design and matching as those first few Class A watts in a Class A/B amplifier are often the sweetest.

Steve

SoundGame

« Reply #79 on: 2 Feb 2012, 07:47 pm »
While I agree that it's not the norm and that they represent a small percentage of speakers sold, there are a variety of high-efficiency home audio speakers available that are not PA or DJ speakers, from horn-types like the Klipsch (Klipschorn - 105dB, La Scala II - 105dB, Cornwall III - 102dB and Heresy III -  99dB) to high-efficiency full-range + tweeter like Zu (Definition Mk.IV - 101dB, Soul Superfly - 101dB).

It's just another way to approach system design and matching as those first few Class A watts in a Class A/B amplifier are often the sweetest.

Steve

Point taken.  I was just trying to bring out the point that given what I undestand to be the market for the B100, that basing power decisions on 100db+ sensitivity speakers really doesn't make sense.  Cheers!