Bryston 2012 New Models

Levi

Re: Bryston 2012 New Models
« Reply #40 on: 21 Jan 2012, 04:55 pm »
I see the rational for the 4B monos.  What if we ask James to lower the price of the 7B.  Then you can forget about the 4B monos if price is the driving factor here.  Sorry James, just offering some topic for discussion.  :)

On a side note, discontinue the 7B and create a 4B monos for the same price of 7B = more revenue. :thumb:

Levi quietly exits the building.  :lol:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #41 on: 21 Jan 2012, 07:43 pm »
   Now that's even a better idea LEVI ............ :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:.thanks

spinner

« Reply #42 on: 21 Jan 2012, 10:54 pm »
 To answer Elizabeth's question I would hope the chassis would be half width but deep like the powerpack's . James had some nice computer pictures of this a few months back. They looked great.  :drool:

nikon

« Reply #43 on: 22 Jan 2012, 05:51 pm »
James

How are things progressing on the Bryston Drive Enclosure for the BDP-1 ?

:o

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #44 on: 22 Jan 2012, 06:03 pm »
I heard something at CES about a special new amp.

SoundGame

« Reply #45 on: 23 Jan 2012, 02:26 pm »
I heard something at CES about a special new amp.

Hey Vegas - did what you hear come from the horse's mouth or just rumours?  If from Bryston themselves - then when do we get to hear more about this "special amplifier" - perhaps for an anniversary?

vegasdave

« Reply #46 on: 23 Jan 2012, 06:46 pm »
One of the Bryston engineers. It's gonna be this year presumably for the anniversary. :D

SoundGame

« Reply #47 on: 23 Jan 2012, 07:27 pm »
One of the Bryston engineers. It's gonna be this year presumably for the anniversary. :D

Okay - now you've got my attention and interest peaked. :o

In-line with Bryston philosophy, anything they are working on would be for production, as they don't create one-off / gimicky models.  So if something is planned for development and launch to celebrate their anniversary, it will be production technology for sustainable manufacture thereafter.

If it's an amplifier technology, as you say, then unless it's an all new type of product for a new and specialized purpose, I would guess that it will perhaps be the successor to the SST2.  Perhaps a "L" amp (where L represents 50 years and going, in Roman numerals)?

I guess we can only wait and see if more details on this are to come - and the drum-roll begins... :drums:     

vegasdave

« Reply #48 on: 23 Jan 2012, 08:39 pm »
Could be, haha. I'm sworn to secrecy. I will wait until James makes the announcement.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #49 on: 24 Jan 2012, 04:42 am »
How about a special anniversary edition amp with meters like the original Bryston amp?

That would be pretty cool - reissue that amp, but with current sonics/technology.

Alpha10

« Reply #50 on: 24 Jan 2012, 02:36 pm »
To answer Elizabeth's question I would hope the chassis would be half width but deep like the powerpack's . James had some nice computer pictures of this a few months back. They looked great.  :drool:

See, for me it would be the other way round, I would like full width and half height and not too deep  :duh:

Cheers

SoundGame

« Reply #51 on: 24 Jan 2012, 03:10 pm »
How about a special anniversary edition amp with meters like the original Bryston amp?

That would be pretty cool - reissue that amp, but with current sonics/technology.

Stu - interestingly enough, I just saw that the latest monoblocks from Audio Research have meters as well but they would be considered more subdued than McIntosh metres.Audio Research Ref 250 - Darf‘s ein wenig mehr sein?

SoundGame

« Reply #52 on: 26 Jan 2012, 01:29 pm »
Talking about a new amplifier from Bryston in 2012 as well as a new "super" CDP, it was interesting to come across the new NAD Master Series components, which include both an integrated DAC/CDP as well as a Music Server:

http://canadahifi.com/index.php/nad-masters-series-m50-m52-and-m51-audio-components/

I'm hoping the next generation of BDA / BCD will include something similar in terms of an integrated CD/DAC solution - only time will tell.

Alpha10

« Reply #53 on: 26 Jan 2012, 02:10 pm »
Just one more for my 2012 wishlist, I know it has already been dismissed by James, but worth a try. Looking at my rack the only item which is not Bryston is my Blu-ray, it would be GREAT to complete the set and have one to match the SP3. It would only need to be HDMI out, no fancy analogue section, just enough to compliment the SP3?

:inlove:

youravhandyman

« Reply #54 on: 26 Jan 2012, 03:18 pm »
Alpha, why don't you hit James up to machine a face for an Oppo for you.  It's not like there is no presidence(Lexicon).  Only difference is that Bryston would just be selling you the cabinet face.  Lexicon was selling a load of cr@p charging $3500 for an unmodified $499 player.

Alpha10

« Reply #55 on: 26 Jan 2012, 03:42 pm »
Alpha, why don't you hit James up to machine a face for an Oppo for you.  It's not like there is no presidence(Lexicon).  Only difference is that Bryston would just be selling you the cabinet face.  Lexicon was selling a load of cr@p charging $3500 for an unmodified $499 player.

Thanks, I have already tried that one on James before  :oops:

You never know if we keep asking  :D

Cheers

skunark

« Reply #56 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:46 pm »
I still feel that the BP26 needs to be updated to have HT Passthru, finer grain volume control and a remote that can turn the system on and off.   Pretty much a BP26 MKII... :)    (I'm not concerned about tone controls)

I think Bryston should have an "entry" level integrated for around $1500 or perhaps a small office system that can be matted with the BDP.

I do agree that 4B SST2 mono blocks would be attractive. 

DVD/Blu-ray players are changing so fast that 1k is pretty much my limit for those, a bolt-on faceplate would be killer though.

It would be interesting to see what Bryston would do with a FM/AM/HD Tuner and Turntable.    I know Radio is slumping nation-wide, but there's still a few good stations locally where I live.   

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #57 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:54 pm »
Regarding tone controls....

Since I'm converting my CD Library to computer based FLAC, the J River media center provides a software EQ, if I wanted to do that.

So, I don't need tone controls anymore.  I didn't ever use them much on my pre-amp.  Now, I don't use them at all.

I do need to get a Audio Test CD and see what my room acoustics are really like.

HsvHeelFan

95Dyna

« Reply #58 on: 27 Jan 2012, 09:15 pm »

The question is why do the 7B's exist, when the 14B should do and is cheaper?  Why create the 28b's instead of creating a 56b stereo amp.  There are some advantages to going the monoblock route.  If you have the room for monoblocks and you don't mind having the double chasis - I would think the separation would provide for exactly that - more separation between channels, more isolation of the channels, more room for cooling, more room to add extra capacitance and/or a slightly larger power supply etc. etc.

I also believe that the increase in price should not be dramatically more than the difference between the 14b and 7b's, especially when you factor in that the 4B mono might end up selling more units then the 7B.  The question is - what would you name them?

I bought my 7B SST2's over the 14B because they provide double the power supply capacitance and therefore have more available for those  peak power requirements.  As such, the 14B is not 2 7B's in one chassis.  For my money the 7B is the sweet spot in the Bryston lineup.  On the issue of 2 4B's in bridged mono being equivalent to a pair of 7B's, the bridged 4's will see half the impedence that the 7B will see and therefore suffer a degradation in performance.  They'll be brought to their knees popping fuses in demanding situations while the 7's are taking a walk in the park.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #59 on: 27 Jan 2012, 09:43 pm »
   Touche! :flame: