BCD1+BDA1

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
BCD1+BDA1
« on: 18 Jan 2012, 12:25 pm »
  So I'm out to add the bda1 to my cd1. Have any members extensively listened to this combo enough to comment on performance improvements ? Reviews seem to indicate that the bcd takes "redbook" (16/44) to a greater level. : :D.

rmurray

Re: BCD1+BDA1
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2012, 01:11 pm »
  Good question, always wanted to know that before I spring for the dac. :scratch:

mkaiser

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2012, 06:14 pm »
I have performed this combination at my local dealer awhile back when people on this forum where saying there was quite a noticeable difference when combining them. After many hours in their treated studio the sales reps and myself never noticed any difference. We used redbook CD's only.

BCD+BDA= waste of money.

I would wait a few more months and hound James Tanner on Bryston's thoughts of making that very expensive last CDP that someone on here found in an internet interview and posted. If i were to stay with redbook.

Basically, its like this, if you only listen to redbook CD go with BCD only. If you incorporate computer files or only listen to computer file hi-res or not then the BDA makes all the sense. Certainly is not a hard decision based on my experience.

Hope this helps?

Mark

redbook

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2012, 07:40 pm »
   Thanks for that input. Some reviews seem to profoundly state that using a bda will produce a more complete waveform due to the placeholders(8 bits of non rez). There is the idea of two analog chips rather than one as well.  It is said that sound stage and dynamics improve. I don't hear Bryston saying anything about a new and greater player and, if they do will that be better with the redbook recordings. ? Thanks again for your response. Any one else have experience with this?

spinner

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2012, 07:47 pm »
  Yes, James , are we going anywhere with that idea? If so , it would be nice to have alround tweekted player :thumb:

rmurray

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2012, 07:56 pm »
 Gee I always was told to give the combo serious consideration. I can's believe that the more advanced processing would yield no improvement. :peek:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2012, 09:35 pm »
Gee I always was told to give the combo serious consideration. I can's believe that the more advanced processing would yield no improvement. :peek:

There is improvement. The question is whether there is enough improvement to justify the cost of the unit and whatever cable you'll need to add. I've owned a BCD-1 and have heard one in tandem with a BDA-1 and I have an opinion on that but you really want to hear it for yourself if you can and draw your own conclusions. If you're planning to incorporate a BDP-1 into your system at some point, getting a BDA-1 to compliment your BCD-1 would become a more appealing proposition.

D.D.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2012, 10:05 pm »
Redbook,

i'd say that the BCD and the BDA sound the same. there might be a difference now and then but they are
s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y. in the end it really depends on what you want...cd playback only or multiple digital inputs.
any way - both units have a great sound!

al.

Ron D

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2012, 10:23 pm »
When I had a BDA-1 and lent it to a buddy whose system is BCD-1/BP-26/7B-SST2/PMC OB1i he found that there were slight differences in favor of the BDA-1 and suspected that these were due to the dual dac chips in the BDA-1 Vs the single dac chip in the BCD-1. He felt that relegating the BCD-1 to a transport only function was not a viable solution given the close comparison between the two units. He said the great analog stage in the BCD-1 would be wasted and as he is not one to frequently buy/sell his gear on the Net he chose to remain with the BCD-1. Unfortunately I was not around for the audition/trial so I have personal review to offer as to how the units compare but I acknowledge that his reasoning was sound for his situation.

So if it were me and I did like the BDA-1 when I had it and if faced with the same situation I would get a BDA-1, sell the BCD-1 and purchase a much less expensive transport.

redbook

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2012, 02:48 am »
  Thanks again for all your opinions on this.  : :thumb::cyclops:

spinner

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2012, 02:56 am »
 Isn't there a risk of greater jitter by going outside the box to any outboard dac? Given  the slight improvement perhaps it is better to remain with bcd only. It is a great player for sure.......I have  another one as backup , arrived today. :singing:

mkaiser

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2012, 03:06 am »
No problem Redbook, as always my experience is my personal experience and is subject to different opinions from others , therefore you should seek out to test all equipment and experiments yourself in order to draw your own final conclusions as it is your money spent.

Mark

mkaiser

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2012, 03:36 am »
Redbook,

Here is the link that touches on a possible elite top loading Bryston CDP. Something to keep in mind.

http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2011/10/10-qs-for-brian-russell-of-bryston-ltd.html

Mark

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2012, 01:36 pm »
I have not owned the BCD, but I did have the BDA for a while. In combination with my old CD player (Marantz SACD 7001 KI) it made somewhat of a difference. I then bought the Marantz KI Pearl (the full version, not the "light"), and the difference was gone completely.
There were some m-a-r-g-i-n-a-l nuance differences, but definitely not enough to justify having a DAC in my system doing basically nothing.
So I sold it, got a good price for it too.

Unless you need more digital inputs I'd say just buy a high end CD player, for the money spent on the BDA and the BCD combined one can buy something really nice.

It is about time Bryston upgraded the BDA to a Mk2. Competition caught up big time...

SoundGame

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2012, 01:38 pm »
Redbook,

Here is the link that touches on a possible elite top loading Bryston CDP. Something to keep in mind.

http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2011/10/10-qs-for-brian-russell-of-bryston-ltd.html

Mark

If Bryston even considers doing another CDP, I'm hoping it will essentially integrate the BDA adding input capability for utlizing the integrated DAC.  They could at the same time upgrade the current BDA with the latest in 32-bit/384 kHz and have the USB do at least 24/192. 

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2012, 01:45 pm »

If Bryston even considers doing another CDP, I'm hoping it will essentially integrate the BDA adding input capability for utlizing the integrated DAC.  They could at the same time upgrade the current BDA with the latest in 32-bit/384 kHz and have the USB do at least 24/192.
It would REALLY make my day if the BDP came with a BDA Mk2...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2012, 03:59 pm »

Unless you need more digital inputs I'd say just buy a high end CD player, for the money spent on the BDA and the BCD combined one can buy something really nice.

I believe that Anonamemouse has hit the nail on the head. If you find an audio component somewhat lacking for you, perhaps it is time for an upgrade verse adding more boxes in an attempt to gain more performance from the unit that is lacking. You can definitely purchase an awesome player CD player for the BDP/BCD price combination.

Be well...

rmurray

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jan 2012, 05:03 pm »
  Apart from some small sonic improvements by using the bda1 with the bcd1 there is also the flexibility offered in upsampling choices. I figure this is a plus to be able to try various settings on cds;... a whole new adventure to hear what is best with which. My only concern is, once again ,the possible increase of jitter . What do you think folks, would that be worth the cost? :scratch:

mkaiser

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jan 2012, 05:40 pm »
I believe that Anonamemouse has hit the nail on the head. If you find an audio component somewhat lacking for you, perhaps it is time for an upgrade verse adding more boxes in an attempt to gain more performance from the unit that is lacking. You can definitely purchase an awesome player CD player for the BDP/BCD price combination.

Be well...

I agree with this, however i would like the BDA integrated into the next generation preamp. I have not updated to the BPD until a new pre is manufactured simply because i do not want extra boxes sitting in my audio rack. I like things clean and simple.

Mark

SoundGame

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2012, 06:07 pm »
I agree with this, however i would like the BDA integrated into the next generation preamp. I have not updated to the BPD until a new pre is manufactured simply because i do not want extra boxes sitting in my audio rack. I like things clean and simple.

Mark

Hmmm, a flavour of this has already been done in the new SP3, at least from an HDMI to analogue perspective, as I understand it.