Happy day for Chicago Bears' fans!

jackman

Happy day for Chicago Bears' fans!
« on: 3 Jan 2012, 04:33 pm »
News just in, Bears fired GM Jerry Angelo!!! The bad news is that Mike Martz and Lovie Smith have not been fired yet.  I can live with Lovie but we need to get some of these idiots out, starting with Martz.  This is the best news Bears fans have received in a while. 

Hey Jerry, don't let the door hit you in the behind on your way out!  Adios amigo.

roscoeiii

Re: Happy day for Chicago Bears' fans!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2012, 06:39 pm »
+1.

Not sad at all to see him go.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2012, 08:16 pm »
Is ChiTown the next stop for the Polians? Anybody notice that all 3 Florida teams dumped their head coach?

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2012, 08:22 pm »
Bill Polian is rumored to be in the hunt.  Also, Martz is reportedly out as well.  Good riddance.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2012, 08:28 pm »
Since they now have McDaniels, the Rams might be glad to get Martz back. I might in that situation.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2012, 08:29 pm »
"Is this some kind of magical wish fulfillment day for Bears fans?

It certainly seems that way, with the ouster of Angelo, and Martz leaving. A new GM could have a much more attractive looking job than it was even just hours ago, especially depending on how much strength George McCaskey actually gives them.

Now, it could be that the "philosophical difference" was that they told him if he was getting a new contract, he was going to fundamentally change the way he calls games, but it could be that he really, really, liked the influence he had over Jerry Angelo (see: Manumaleuna, McCown)

UPDATE: Quarterbacks coach Shane Day is also out. The Bears are indeed making some very significant changes today. Stay tuned..."

This from Chicago Sports writer

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2012, 08:31 pm »
From Dan Pompeii's Twitter:

"Mike Martz resigns from Bears over philosophical differences. Story coming soon at chicagotribune.com"

"philosophical differences"? Or Martz's inability to adapt his scheme to what he was given on the roster?

QB coach Shane Day also gone.

Cleaning house!

uncouth

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2012, 08:38 pm »
It's a happy day indeed, though I wish the purge was complete and included Lovie Smith. He'll be a lame duck coach under a new GM who will likely have the next offensive coordinator/QB coach picked for him. My further worry is that I've little faith that they'll identify and pursue the best candidates, though today does show a change in approach so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

The days and months leading up to the NFL draft should prove exciting.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2012, 08:42 pm »
Is the quarterback's coach that was with Denver who coached Cutler in his early years available? My buddy mentioned it to me ,maybe it was the offensive coordinator. I just can't remember.

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2012, 09:06 pm »
Is the quarterback's coach that was with Denver who coached Cutler in his early years available? My buddy mentioned it to me ,maybe it was the offensive coordinator. I just can't remember.

I don't recall his name but they were talking about the same guy on the Score yesterday evening.  He would give Cutler more latitude and be less restrictive than Martz - who did not even have an audible in his scheme.  Either way, the Bears will need a top tier receiver if they are going to succeed in today's NFL.  They are $20 million under the cap and will probably have to shell out $7million if they franchise Forte.  That still leaves them around $13 million for a top tier receiver. 

Roscoe, I was in a fantasy football league (a real one, not on-line) with Pompei for years (before the internet!).  He's a good guy and I always appreciate his analysis.  I gave it up years ago but I believe he's still in the league. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2012, 09:10 pm »
Wait jackman, are you saying Roy Williams isn't a top tier receiver?  :lol:

Yeah, I like Pompei's writing. Wow, fantasy before the internet. Impressive amount of work involved in that I'd suppose.

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2012, 09:18 pm »
Wait jackman, are you saying Roy Williams isn't a top tier receiver?  :lol:

Yeah, I like Pompei's writing. Wow, fantasy before the internet. Impressive amount of work involved in that I'd suppose.

I don't know about impressive, more like insane and time consuming (and fun!).  I used to buy every magazine, newspaper and prepare for the draft for a week  or two (at least 40-50 hours), and we had to manually compute points every week.  Honestly, at the time no one I knew ever heard of fantasy football other than the guys in the league.  It was 18 or 19 years ago and I did it for over ten years.  Eventually the internet came along as well as dedicated fantasy magazines and books.  Things got a lot easier but it helped the bad team "owners" and casual fans more than the good ones. 

Interestingly, even though Dan knew a lot about football, he never won the superbowl.  I won it once and was second another time.  I was also in fantasy basketball which was much more time consuming.  Never again!

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2012, 09:49 pm »
Just sit back and enjoy these Bulls. Tonight's Hawks game should be a good one.

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2012, 11:10 pm »
Just sit back and enjoy these Bulls. Tonight's Hawks game should be a good one.

I'm thoroughly enjoying both teams this year.  The Bulls are playing a tough Atlanta team tonight and I'm looking forward to watching (while I ride a stationary bike and do intervals).  Even though we complain a lot (by we I mean me) but we have some good young teams in Chicago. 

cujobob

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jan 2012, 12:48 am »
That's very good news...at least you guys have a good QB, although his personality might be an issue longterm.

I hope the Polians don't land there...the Colts have been so devoid of talent during his reign there. Peyton Manning was good enough to win with anybody and he proved as much.

I don't know what to make of Chicago's teams in other sports...the White Sox seem to be rebuilding, but the basketball team is fun to watch at least.

Freo-1

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jan 2012, 01:55 am »
That's very good news...at least you guys have a good QB, although his personality might be an issue longterm.

I hope the Polians don't land there...the Colts have been so devoid of talent during his reign there. Peyton Manning was good enough to win with anybody and he proved as much.

I don't know what to make of Chicago's teams in other sports...the White Sox seem to be rebuilding, but the basketball team is fun to watch at least.

Agree.

The Blackhawks are the team to beat in the Western Conference this year.  They are playing very well right now.

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2012, 01:57 am »
Cujo, I don't blame Cutler for being pissed.  The Martz offense gave him zero protection and almost killed him. The Martz offense works when you have pro bowlers and future hall of famers at all of the skill positions like in St Louis. He has zero ability to adjust to his personnel and I think the game has passed him by.  I'm happy to see his fat butt out of here. He was a complete failure.   

It's no coincidence the Bears started to experience success when they abandoned his train wreck of an offense.

You forgot about the hottest team, the Hawks. Last time I checked, they were one of the best teams in the NHL.  Toews is one of the brightest stars in the game. 

LadyDog

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:08 am »
Hopefully it is not a "package" deal if Polian(s) land there. 

cujobob

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:57 am »
I don't keep up with hockey much anymore, sorry.

Cutler was known for running his mouth in Denver, too, that's mostly what I was referring to. QB is sort of the one position where you need to keep your mouth shut with regards to complaining IMHO.

If the Bears re-tool the offense, the division will be really exciting next season. The whole fast wideout - no hands combo needs to go.

Thank God Minnesota didn't get the first overall pick!

roscoeiii

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jan 2012, 04:06 am »
And what a Bulls comeback against Atlanta tonight. Yeah, Chicago sports fans will be fine. Though I gotta say, "Come on White Sox!"