Cymbals no more?

Scott B

Cymbals no more?
« on: 29 Dec 2011, 06:57 pm »
Just noticed these where taken off the main page.  Too bad as I had hoped to build a pair at some point.

hagtech

Re: Cymbals no more?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2012, 03:32 am »
Yeah, ran out of boards.  Sorry.

jh

SoundBound

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2012, 03:21 am »
Wow, looks like running out of everything!  Are you closing up shop?

Bobzilla

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:56 pm »
Fair question ...

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2012, 09:15 am »
There are a lot of older products I am discontinuing because I run out of circuit boards.  I buy boards in large batches in order to make things cost effective.  Some products don't sell so much anymore, so when the boards run out, so does the product.  It's the old "market window" thing.  Some products don't live forever, others do.  For example, the HAGUSB is a bit obsolete now since most everyone moved to 24/96.  It was a fantastic product and still holds its own, but the market doesn't want it anymore.

On the other side is the CORNET and BUGLE.  They seem to be a bit more timeless in their design and purpose. 

I've also had to take on a second job, so the new products are not coming so rapidly.  The last, I think was the FRYCORDER.  Presently I've been sidetracked a bit working on a gieger counter radiation detector.  It's pretty cool and I have the first prototype halfway up and running.  The firmware is a bitch, but at least I can get it to turn on and off. 

Anyway, shop is not closing.  Not for another 20 years, anyway.  Time is the issue.  There just isn't enough of it to fill all the existing orders and make a lot of new stuff.  Design takes a long time.  I spent a year on the VacuTrace,  Then another year for Trumpet.  That's just the way it is.

After I get this radiation detector out, we'll be back to audio.  Maybe it's time for the C3.  I also have a paper design for a nuvistor compressor guitar pedal.  And an 806 push pull amp designed specifically to drive Magnepan 1.7s...

jh

jostber

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2012, 06:52 pm »
That is great, the new stuff will be exciting to watch. Would you consider making a powerful power supply that can be used with f.ex. Technics SL1200 turntables?

hagtech

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2012, 10:58 pm »
Well, I got pretty far with a paper design for a 3-phase ac motor controller for TTs.  I was trying to get something going with Thom from Galibier, but the scope of the project turned out to be pretty big.  I actually had a vacuum tube version of the power stage up and running (6080s), but the drive voltage was too low.  It did, however, power my Rega P3 (single phase). 

Yeah, lots of projects halfway done. 

jh

jostber

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2012, 04:36 am »
A tube power stage would be a really cool solution.

TigerScent

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2012, 11:06 am »
Why don't you just build one based on the pdf manual? It should be up somewhere on the site, (I think ?!?)

jostber

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2012, 06:58 pm »
I am not sure the Bugle power supply would be a good match for f.ex a Technics SL1200 turntable.

poty

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:54 am »
TigerScent means the initial question, not the PS.
By the way, as part of the devices - there are a lot of types of PSs on the site.

TigerScent

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:00 pm »
TigerScent means the initial question, not the PS.
By the way, as part of the devices - there are a lot of types of PSs on the site.

Yes, thats right, I was not referring to a PS, but the Cymbals manual, which includes the schematic. From what I can gather on forum posts etc...you could make a hard-wire version etc, which may not be as good as making it with the HT designed circuit board regarding noise, placement etc - and would not require much thought, so hard-wiring by accounts given may come up with varying results from different builders; depending on how they have done so,   so one would have to be innovative and thoughtful with shielding and layout configuration etc..., from what I have read etc so far on this...

poty

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2012, 09:51 pm »
Why only hardwiring?  There are a lot of PCBs which allow to build the simple power supply like in the Cymbals, and any push-pull layout PCB will allow to use the values from the Cymbals schematic. The only hardwire parts may be the 4 tubes for output stage which should go to one socket in the usual push-pull amplifier.
I've not even begun to speak about making a PCB by himself.

jgb0194

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2012, 01:04 am »
I have a very nice pair for sale. Please see the "Trading Post".

John