3.7 Room Size Requirements

davkj

3.7 Room Size Requirements
« on: 29 Dec 2011, 01:22 pm »
I recently made the mistake of auditioning the 1.7 and 3.6 at a local dealer.  I was very impressed with the 3.6 and am waiting to go back once the demo 3.7's arrive.  The problem is my room -can the 3.7s sound great in a 12.5 x 18 dedicated room or is it just too small?  Magnapan makes it sound like moving up the line simply increases resolution, but everything I read says you need a lot of space to get the most out of the Maggies.  (I was not as impressed with the 1.7's which would probably work better, not sure why, but they just didn't  do it for me).  Thanks for your thoughts.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: 3.7 Room Size Requirements
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2011, 12:08 am »
You'll be fine with 3.7s in that room.
Just pull them out a bit from the side walls and into the room a few feet - I go 24-30" side walls, 3 1/2 - 4' from the front wall, ribbons on the inside with good results.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2011, 12:46 am »
Stevie, do you mean 24" to 30" out from the center of the panels to the wall, or their outside edges to the wall? 

AVnerdguy

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2011, 12:56 am »
Well, the bigger the better but I started with the 1.7s and moved up to the 3.7s in a room approx. 12 x 20 and it works for me.

I have to move the 3.7s out from the wall for serious listening sessions and push them back to allow for normal room traffic. I put gliders on the Mye stands (someone here recommended that - thanks!) so it's easy to do.

There is a significant difference in the 3.7s. More detail, yes, but more of everything and when positioned properly the soundstage is larger (and deeper) than the 1.7s. If you have the funds the 3.7s are worth the differential in cost.

Eventually I will be moving & buying/building my dedicated listening room so I can live with compromise for now and be prepared for the future.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2011, 03:13 am »
I just got out the tape measure and it's 22" from the side of the speaker to the side wall, 52" out from the front wall.
They're developing more bass as time goes by so the sub is used for MMG duty.

P.S.
I think we all can relate to the "I made the mistake of auditioning..." comment!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2011, 03:38 am »
Oh, man, you guys with 12' wide rooms are tempting me.  I have 54" off the back wall I could give them.  Opinions?  Still have some 150w Kenwood LO7 monoblocks in storage.  I'd be out the cost of the 3.7's only.  Audio Concepts in Dallas bout 3 hours drive has them.  They broker trades, too, cept I gotta have all black.  Could be that's a drive I'm about to make.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2011, 03:41 am »
I think the 3.7's are the best looking.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2011, 03:42 am »
The price of gas is falling...

*Scotty*

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2011, 05:19 am »
deleted

berni

« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2011, 07:37 am »
I just got out the tape measure and it's 22" from the side of the speaker to the side wall, 52" out from the front wall.
They're developing more bass as time goes by so the sub is used for MMG duty.

P.S.
I think we all can relate to the "I made the mistake of auditioning..." comment!

Your room Steve?
Go further out to make a triangle with your listening position, I think you are to far away listening.Also use no or just slight toe in. Don't worry about the side walls to much. Make this move this year, it is my wish or my xmas present for you.
If it is not significant better I eat a mouse :thumb:
Try it just for fun and report.
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2011, 10:08 am by berni »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2011, 10:50 am »
I don't sit as far away as it looks, the cheap Nikon lens seems to stretch things (look at the neck on the guitar).
I'll try moving the speakers closer to the walls tonight but there's a lot of stuff in the way (cabinet with MMG hanging off of it, subwoofer on the other side).  The speakers are further out into the room than in this photo which was taken last Summer.
Toe in is just about nil the way it is presently.  I kept moving the speakers around as they were breaking in.
They actually caused the floor to vibrate the other night like a subwoofer does.  They're still changing!
I have a big reptile collection (another hobby) so perhaps you could donate the mouse to the cause instead of eating it yourself?

berni

« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2011, 11:03 am »
Deal! :lol:
I would really love to hear what you will achieve.Try also to listen to them from the rack position while they are moved into the middle of the room.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2011, 01:30 pm »
My Magnepan 3.6s are in a room about 11 ft wide, and 28 ft deep.
I have my speakers tweet in as the pic shown. And also about 20" from side walls. They are about 40 inches from back wall.
Widely spaced, with large window between/behind. Drapes and shelves in corners behind speakers.
I added a speaker height Oak board on only the woof edge to enhance lower freq. 5 inches wide (just sitting against the side of speaker, a removable brace behind to keep in place)

I sit about 8 ft away.
I think the op could use 3.6s in his room. no problem.
As long as you can allow at least a few ft behind them.

If I can save the money i plan on 20.7s... in my place...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2011, 10:56 pm »
Berni,
The mouse lives yet another day. 
After a few hours spent screwing around I nailed it - 52" out from the front wall, 9' apart (center to center), left speaker straight ahead, right speaker angled in slightly with the edge of the speakers around 8-10" from the side walls, listening position about 10' back.
Now I've got a monster, unplugged subwoofer sitting by the dining room table as there's no place for it and there was just too much bass with it hiding behind a speaker.
It's tough to get things set up with furniture in place and manage to get it to sound right, too.  The new ones have a LOT of bass so getting the toe-in right to clear the sofa and keep the bass response "normal" was a challenge.
A little tube rolling in the preamp was in order, too.  Four Amperex Bugle Boys in the preamp was two too many so now it's Bugle Boys in the back, 6 Russian "rocket ships" in the front and it's better than ever.
I didn't pull them out into the middle of the room as then they'd be about in my lap.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2011, 12:02 am by SteveFord »

josh358

« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2011, 11:12 pm »

If I can save the money i plan on 20.7s... in my place...

Typo -- I think you meant to say "in Josh's place." :-)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2011, 11:59 pm »
Maybe they'll go on a road show - can I be in, please?
After Josh, that is.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2011, 12:35 am »
Been years since I owned Acoustats.  How wide is the sweetspot with these big maggies?  I used to have about +-6 inches with my 3300's.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec 2011, 01:27 am »
Do you guys, and Elizabeth, use factory stands or an aftermarket product or something custom?  And what might the benefit be to you vs. factory.  Thanks.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec 2011, 02:04 am »
Right now I'm just using the stock feet but I'm thinking Sound Anchors for the 3.7s, Mye stands for the 1.7s.
I had some monster braces/stands welded up for the 3.6s and they really improved the bass and lower midrange response.  Using the same stands with the 3.7s I ended up with boomy bass so they're down in the basement collecting cobwebs.
The Mye stands should improve the bass on the 1.7s and I've always been curious about the Sound Anchors.  I do know that I don't want more bass out of the 3.7s, it's just right for me the way they are.
Every room, system and ears are different, though.  AVNerdguy is using Mye stands with his 3.7s and says that they work great for him.
Stands will make them easier to move around.  That's why I'm using boards with felt on the bottom for the 3.7s, I can adjust toe in with a kick to the board.  The sound keeps changing bit by bit so the speaker placement keeps changing as well.
The sweet spot is a tough one to answer.  With no toe-in maybe two foot, three foot?   It's hard to say as they can pretty much fill the whole room so sometimes there is no bad spot with the right recording.

Robin Hood

« Reply #19 on: 31 Dec 2011, 07:00 am »
Paul McGowan of PS Audio posted an article on "The Sweet Spot" recently that may be of interest.

http://www.pstracks.com/pauls-posts/sweet-spot/2882/