Whaddya think of this subwoofer?

Rclark

Re: Whaddya think of this subwoofer?
« Reply #40 on: 27 Dec 2011, 11:14 pm »
Hey Gumby.. Can you describe those a5's a little better?

2gumby2

« Reply #41 on: 28 Dec 2011, 10:26 am »
Maybe I should describe my room which may provide some perspective. The room is 11 feet by 12 feet with 8 foot ceiling. Subs are positioned about 1 1/2 foot from the front wall and sides. I have the gain set at about 45% and I'm getting plenty of output for this size room. Sound quality is great with quick tight bass. Not boomy at all. I don't have any measuring equipment and I integrated these subs by ear and have been very satified with the result. They were very easy to get dialed in. I listen to a variety of music from Classical to hard Techno. No Rap or Country though. I think the drivers on these subs weigh about 29 pounds and I think the complete sub weighs in at 69 pounds. Very nice construction and I like the satin finish. This is a high value subwoofer IMO.

Rclark

« Reply #42 on: 28 Dec 2011, 07:22 pm »

Yeah I talked to eD yesterday and asked them a bunch of comparison questions. BTW the A2s uses a K series driver, but still I think I like yours best. I've read nothing but awesome things about them, and yes, the driver in those A5's of yours looks like a very very high quality piece. And I think I can rest easy on the quality of the cabinet, and bracing.

Although, this might surprise some people, but I just got a positive thumbs up on the Rythmik FV12 who is running his with Salk Songtowers and he says the sub is ultra fast and tight. Surprise!

However, with shipping, it is $70 more than the eD. There will be a bit of a wait for the eD, but I think I am leaning towards running a pair of the A5's like you. I probably wouldn't be able to swing it till near the end of next month.

PS your room is the same size as mine, roughly, so it's a relief to hear they work in that room. Of course, I will be measuring, and building basstraps, so whatever issues I might have can be tamed greatly.

Thanks for the heads up, I had blown eD completely off. Still looking at other options, checked out SVS last night. Their $679 option is roughly the same class, but you're paying for a nicer finish.

I don't really have the facility to cut a bunch of OB baffles to test my Brahma's with, I live in an apartment. I was kinda hoping it would be like building a sealed box, ok here's your T/S, pow, here's your various box dimension choices, but with OB, here's your various baffle sizes for output.

I've never even used an external crossover.. That route seems daunting, I may just hold on to them longer, or gasp, even sell them.

Haven't decided.

Rclark

« Reply #43 on: 28 Dec 2011, 07:46 pm »
In fact, was thinking, maybe not a swarm of 4, maybe just a pair of A5's and then eventually get one of their big sealed 18's for ultra lows. Now that's a party.

Rclark

« Reply #44 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:55 am »

Holy Moly, I just discovered Epik Subwoofers.

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html

You can get "dual Legends" for $899, that's already cheaper than two A5s-300's and to boot it appears each sub has dual 12" drivers. 4 drivers! And no wait for shipping. About to dive into all the reviews.

josh358

« Reply #45 on: 29 Dec 2011, 03:57 pm »
Check out Hawthorne Audio's dipole sub site, I just learned about it this morning:

http://hawthorneaudio.com/products.html

Tubo

« Reply #46 on: 29 Dec 2011, 04:54 pm »
Holy Moly, I just discovered Epik Subwoofers.

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html

I have been using an Epik Valor with my MMG's for the past 3.5 years. It is a sealed design and an excellent subwoofer. The Valor is no longer made, but the current Legend, with its dual drivers, should be even better. There is a thread on Epiks over at AVS Science Forum with thousands of posts.

Rclark

« Reply #47 on: 29 Dec 2011, 07:06 pm »
 Is the SQ of the Legend going to be better than the Empire you think, being 12
s? So far I am totally intrigued, never even heard of Epik but I stayed up way too late reading up on them last night. Still a lot more to look at on them.

I was impressed to find when I did a search here on the 'Circle, all users are running them (various Epik subs) with Maggies, and loving them.

Might still do the FV12's, the FV15, depite being ported, was noted for it's accuracy "stops not on a dime but on a needle!"  Was noted for having the output of vented but the SQ of sealed. Also interesting is that HSU subs match the Rythmiks in this regard, without a servo.