Whaddya think of this subwoofer?

jk@home

Re: Whaddya think of this subwoofer?
« Reply #20 on: 26 Dec 2011, 01:10 am »
...And JK@home, your maggies look badass, you have some skills! Our setups are likely to be very similar in the end.

More than you know... I've ordered a Dodds tube buffer, then later will get a Warpspeed... :green:

You are having PG do your's correct? Here a pair a fellow just got back from Penn., Look very nice.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/messages/18/182625.html

Rclark

« Reply #21 on: 26 Dec 2011, 01:12 am »
Oh yeah, he mentioned that pair and mine are his favorites of the year. I haven't seen anything though. Those look nice, lemme see that thread. I should be getting mine in a week or so. There was a bad resistor and he needed to order more parts. Mine is in Mahena and spalted maple. He's done some things to them and I have no idea what the final look will be.

Rclark

« Reply #22 on: 26 Dec 2011, 01:23 am »
Hey Milford, that Bravus looks like a monster. Downfiring 12 and dual 12 passives. I like the $449, 8 with dual 8's.

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 26 Dec 2011, 02:19 am »
JK you are gonna love that Warpspeed, it is everything said about it. Between it and my battery amp, the only weak link is possibly my ERC2 player. Plan on eventually going digital down the line and getting some form of high quality battery powered DAC. But I cannot recommend that Warpspeed strongly enough.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 26 Dec 2011, 02:21 am »
the only weak link is possibly my ERC2 player.
Really?  I'd love to see some pics of your room then. 

josh358

« Reply #25 on: 26 Dec 2011, 02:24 am »
Well, maybe I'm being unfair, but I just don't *like* ported woofers. They always sound like mush to me. I'd say I was biased and haven't heard a good, music-tuned ported sub like this one, and that might be true, except that pretty much everyone says the same thing, and there are sound theoretical reasons why they should sound that way -- you can read some of them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_reflex

But these certainly don't look like boomy resonant subs, of which there are too many. It's just that I think there's a reason they also sell a sealed version, despite the fact that sealed subs throw away the backwave.

Anyway, call me cheap, but if I were you, I think I'd use what I already had . . .

Rclark

« Reply #26 on: 26 Dec 2011, 02:28 am »
JT you've seen it  :lol:, remember "so many comments" ?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 26 Dec 2011, 02:38 am »
JT you've seen it  :lol:, remember "so many comments" ?
Not really but if you say so.   :wink:

Rclark

« Reply #28 on: 26 Dec 2011, 02:44 am »
Well.. when I get my speakers back I'll do a redux. Meanwhile I'm listening to my GR Insignia's.

2gumby2

« Reply #29 on: 26 Dec 2011, 11:47 am »

Totally intrigued by that response though. Your ED's sound as good as servo? The A3s-300's are $300 a piece, shipped, when you buy a pair... but you have to wait 2 months to get them.

And JK@home, your maggies look badass, you have some skills! Our setups are likely to be very similar in the end.

I find the Elemental Designs subs to be much more satifying than the Rythmiks. The bass quality is just as good if not better than the Rythmiks and output is MUCH better. Brian Ding at Rythmik has great customer service, but the Elemental Designs folks were also good in that area. When I bought my A5s subs, they were shipped out to me within a week.

2gumby2

« Reply #30 on: 26 Dec 2011, 11:49 am »
JK you are gonna love that Warpspeed, it is everything said about it. Between it and my battery amp, the only weak link is possibly my ERC2 player. Plan on eventually going digital down the line and getting some form of high quality battery powered DAC. But I cannot recommend that Warpspeed strongly enough.
I was considering getting an Emotiva ERC2. Why do you consider it a weak link?

Rclark

« Reply #31 on: 26 Dec 2011, 09:29 pm »
 No, it's a great, great player. And guys who have heard everything, like TONEPUB, like the Emotiva gear. Great SQ, especially for what you pay. No I really love it.

Weak link because it's not computer audio, I guess, and just because I think my Warpspeed and modded Virtue amp on batts requires would do great with an even higher quality source than cd. That's all. No, as a player, there's not a whole lot to dislike, if anything. Segemented power supplies, high quality parts, fully balanced if you want to use them, nice layered, super detailed sound.

Eventually might want to move to a Bolder modded Touch.

Now onto the subs, that's encouraging..

What do you think of the A3s-250?? Really interested in that one. I could have 4 sealed 10's shipped for $1200 straight up, and the extension is supposedly to 20hz, which is plenty for me.

Alex actually owes me a small discount as well, so I could get a better deal.

What concerns me with this sub: Not sure which driver they use. If it's that little stamped frame thing, not sure how much I want it. They say it's a K series but the front of the sub, in the picture, looks just like their lowest level driver. Unline the A5 like you have, $200 more, which has that high quality 12 with a real driver frame and a real magnet.

Then again, the A3s goes to 20hz, and it's sealed, so maybe it doesn't matter. Then again, I may go ahead and do the A5 like you have, but it had better be $200 better, especially versus 4 A3s-250's.

Also, I read there were some quality control issues with eD subs in the recent past. I read the forum a bit.

Still interested, if you say they sound even better than Rythmik... and you are not the only person who's said the whole servo thing is overblown and you don't necessarily need servo motors to get the tightest sound..

FYI, I had the XDA-1 DAC and the SQ comparison between it and the ERC2 as a standalone is they sound identical.

I was able to sell my XDA-1 last month for a great price and am holding off on DAC's as I want to finish strong there and get a battery powered monster down the line. Emotiva has excellent resale btw. I sold my XDA-1 and my Erc-1 on the 'Gon with little to no effort and for high price.

Rclark

« Reply #32 on: 26 Dec 2011, 10:11 pm »
(my Magnestand MMG's have shipped  :green:)

JohnR

« Reply #33 on: 27 Dec 2011, 12:36 am »
Ideally someone will step forward with an OB calculator of some sort I can use to make my Brahma's work, but nobody has one, so that is a bit daunting.

If you really want a calculator, try Edge for flat baffles, or A, B, C Dipole for anything else. There's also the program that Rudolf posted about in the OB circle (forget the name right now).

For subs, however, baffle shape doesn't have much effect, the important thing is to build one and measure it in-room.

Rclark

« Reply #34 on: 27 Dec 2011, 05:40 am »
Thank you John, that's very very kind of you for the heads up. Are they very accurate pieces of software? Will I be able to nail it in one go?

JohnR

« Reply #35 on: 27 Dec 2011, 06:09 am »
The only one I've used at this point is the Edge, it seems reasonably accurate from the midrange up:

http://www.hifiblogs.com/musicalita/2010/10/a-measurement-anomaly-revisited/

However, at sub frequencies, the simulator response will be useful only for evaluating comparative output levels, the actual frequency response will be (very) dependent on room and positioning.

[Edit: this is getting OT for the Planar Circle, the Ob circle is the best bet if you want to build an OB sub]

Rclark

« Reply #36 on: 27 Dec 2011, 06:17 am »
Ok, thank you sir.

2gumby2

« Reply #37 on: 27 Dec 2011, 12:09 pm »
No, it's a great, great player. And guys who have heard everything, like TONEPUB, like the Emotiva gear. Great SQ, especially for what you pay. No I really love it.

Weak link because it's not computer audio, I guess, and just because I think my Warpspeed and modded Virtue amp on batts requires would do great with an even higher quality source than cd. That's all. No, as a player, there's not a whole lot to dislike, if anything. Segemented power supplies, high quality parts, fully balanced if you want to use them, nice layered, super detailed sound.

Eventually might want to move to a Bolder modded Touch.

Now onto the subs, that's encouraging..

What do you think of the A3s-250?? Really interested in that one. I could have 4 sealed 10's shipped for $1200 straight up, and the extension is supposedly to 20hz, which is plenty for me.

Alex actually owes me a small discount as well, so I could get a better deal.

What concerns me with this sub: Not sure which driver they use. If it's that little stamped frame thing, not sure how much I want it. They say it's a K series but the front of the sub, in the picture, looks just like their lowest level driver. Unline the A5 like you have, $200 more, which has that high quality 12 with a real driver frame and a real magnet.

Then again, the A3s goes to 20hz, and it's sealed, so maybe it doesn't matter. Then again, I may go ahead and do the A5 like you have, but it had better be $200 better, especially versus 4 A3s-250's.

Also, I read there were some quality control issues with eD subs in the recent past. I read the forum a bit.

Still interested, if you say they sound even better than Rythmik... and you are not the only person who's said the whole servo thing is overblown and you don't necessarily need servo motors to get the tightest sound..

FYI, I had the XDA-1 DAC and the SQ comparison between it and the ERC2 as a standalone is they sound identical.

I was able to sell my XDA-1 last month for a great price and am holding off on DAC's as I want to finish strong there and get a battery powered monster down the line. Emotiva has excellent resale btw. I sold my XDA-1 and my Erc-1 on the 'Gon with little to no effort and for high price.
I've not heard the A3s subs so I can't comment. At the time I purchased my A5s subs, I considered the A3s, but the footprint wasn't that much different and I was willing to pay extra for the bigger drivers. I am very happy with these subs.
   I've been down the external DAC road and I do not consider them to be a good value. CD players have gotten so good these days that I much prefer a player over a DAC. Much more cost effective IMO. That Emotiva ERC2 looks really nice. Tomorrow I'm going to a Hi-Fi store to hopefully see an Onkyo C-7070. The features on this player look nice as well.

DTB300

« Reply #38 on: 27 Dec 2011, 01:46 pm »
I believe Tone Audio liked the USP-1 and UPA-1 (Pre and Amp) I do not think they reviewed the player.

Rclark

« Reply #39 on: 27 Dec 2011, 07:42 pm »
Well, all I know is I was taking about my gear with mmg's and he said he liked the emotiva gear paired with Maggie's, so he must have somewhere  :scratch:. Oh well.