Vinyl cleaning for dumbarses - first go, and comparison test

JohnR

So... I have some records that "obviously" need cleaning. I'm thinking of doing just one side, and see how that works out. I don't feel like spending money on "product" until I know why. (In the old days it was never this complicated!!!) I read the first page of the "cleaning secrets" sticky and stopped when I got to "chemical engineer."

So... the first pass is to just clean it with soap and water?

Nothing could be worse than what I have with this record, so what's the "dummy" version of record cleaning that I can verify?

Wayner

John,

I've been cleaning my used records in the laundry tub with liquid dishwashing detergent and warm water for years. Yes, the label gets wet, but none have ever come off and if you let your records dry out a bit, they will be just fine. I like to use a 2 1/2" horse hair paint brush to help get the suds down in the grooves and do a circular pattern with the brush. Finally, I simply rinse of the suds completely, then using two old "fuzzy" bath towels, I put the record on one and use the other to dry off each side.

I do another type of cleaning before every play. I make a mixture of 3 parts clean water (like filtered or reverse osmosis) to 1 part 99% alcohol and that goes into a spray (misting) bottle. I then spray my Discwasher brush with the mister until it's damp and clean the record side on the table, with the platter running, to further clean, remove dust and neutralize static.

Soon, records are clean, shiny and even slippery.

I've been doing this for ......well since I was a kid.

Wayner

Kinger

Timely topic as I just purchased my first TT.  Had considered going the Spin Clean route, but was holding off before making a final decision.  Is any type of dish soap better than others for this chore?  Even though my LP collection are mostly new. I've read where a good cleaning can also benefit brandy new records.

Wayner

Non-scented?????

W

bside123

Hi John,

For really dirty records, I pretty much do what Wayner does... wash them in the sink with dish soap. The difference in my washing method is that I use two 5" dent pullers to cover the labels (one on each side), so that the labels do not get wet. The dent pullers also provide a handle to hold the record while washing it in the sink:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/3M-Double-handle-locking-suction-cup-dent-puller/_/N-25ytZ1z140d1;jsessionid=89DA7B8AE13D28DFC8BB8FF0DFD1339C.diyprod2-b2c3?counter=2&itemIdentifier=244789_0_0_

I believe I paid $14.00 for two at my local auto store.

It goes without saying, that you need to get every little bit of soap off of the record. Therefore, as a precautionary measure, and as a final rinse, I do throw them onto a vacuum record cleaning machine to suck out all the water, and it helps to dry the record. For that, I use my record cleaning solution du jour. For that matter, I've read that Wayner doesn't use record cleaning machines at all.

I put the clean record in a fresh sleeve, and voila, good to go. Clean and quiet records. Hope this helps.

Din

TheChairGuy

John,

I never cleaned my records when I was a kid/teenager and loved the music coming from my turntable.

Then, my dealer at about age 17 turned me on to the VPI record cleaning machine...and there was REALLY a tremendous difference in the quality.  There's lotsa' reasons, but primary is likely that cleaning the bottom of those tiny grooves allows your stylus to trace the record better - without the numerous humps and bumps that are down there after pressing the vinyl.

I've tried various hand cleaners (Discwasher, LAST, and TrackMate) and nothing measured up to a record cleaning machine with a drying vacuum cycle.  But, by all means, try some hand cleaning method first to get a taste of the good vinyl life  8)

DaveyW

Nothing could be worse than what I have with this record, so what's the "dummy" version of record cleaning that I can verify?

Hi John,

I've had a go at documenting the two DIY cleaning methods I have used - there's links to them on my webpage (see the world icon).

The first is a basic sink based method probably similar to the ones already mentioned.

The second is a DIY Steam and Vac process.
John (TCG) is absolutely spot on re. recommending a vac system to get great results, but the steam really tops it off.

The sink is a bit of a distant memory for me now.

Food for thought  :?

Good luck
Dave

lazydays

four ounces of 93% alcohol
three ounces of deionized water
one half teaspoon of clear Dawn
one quarter teaspoon of Photoflow
small spray bottle
a Hunt carbon fiber brush

you hear quieter surfaces right away.

Also buy a small steamer! This alone will really push the crud outta the grooves. I use nothing but MF sleeves, and keep two brushes. One is a cheapo rat shack for clearing off the dust before deep cleaning, and then I clean with the Hunt.
gary

midfi

• nisi credideritis, non intelligetis
Double sink in da kitchen...  If you are doing quite a few at a time put 1/2 a cap of Era 2X Ultra Free (dye and scent free detergent) in some warm (not hot!) and use one of them sponge on a stick thingies and wash the record with it and try to keep it off of the label.  It wont hurt it but if its an Ultra Rare record I'd go thru some steps to keep label dry.  In the other side put purified water and a shot of Jet Dri (some like Photo Flo) to rinse record with.  If you don't have the DIY record vac made out of a WetDryVac use lint free micro fiber cloth to dry them off as air drying sometimes leave water marks.

midfi

• nisi credideritis, non intelligetis
oh, and make sure the vinyl is completely dry before putting back in the sleeve or it will get mildew on it.

trackball02

Re: Vinyl cleaning for dumbarses - first go, and comparison test
« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2011, 04:34 am »
Kitchen sink, with disposable microfiber paint pads with the styrofoam handles that I can cut to size, lots of warm water and just a drop of dish soap on the pad. Lightly scrub 2 mins per side, then rinse with tap water and a final rinse with distilled water and wipe with a microfiber cloth. I'll then do a second cleaning with a different paint pad with 50% denatured alcohol and 50% and wipe with a different cloth.

I also use the audio Technica brush frequently:
 http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT6012-Record-Care/dp/B0009IGAPW
and a carbon fiber brush right before playing

Old timer

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2011, 01:00 am »
I always hate coming home from the local record store, finding a record "cleaned' by some DIY concoction. Especially when it is a rare jazz LP that you've been looking for the last 15 years.

Indiansprings

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2011, 12:47 pm »
Hi John,

For really dirty records, I pretty much do what Wayner does... wash them in the sink with dish soap. The difference in my washing method is that I use two 5" dent pullers to cover the labels (one on each side), so that the labels do not get wet. The dent pullers also provide a handle to hold the record while washing it in the sink:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/3M-Double-handle-locking-suction-cup-dent-puller/_/N-25ytZ1z140d1;jsessionid=89DA7B8AE13D28DFC8BB8FF0DFD1339C.diyprod2-b2c3?counter=2&itemIdentifier=244789_0_0_

I believe I paid $14.00 for two at my local auto store.

It goes without saying, that you need to get every little bit of soap off of the record. Therefore, as a precautionary measure, and as a final rinse, I do throw them onto a vacuum record cleaning machine to suck out all the water, and it helps to dry the record. For that, I use my record cleaning solution du jour. For that matter, I've read that Wayner doesn't use record cleaning machines at all.

I put the clean record in a fresh sleeve, and voila, good to go. Clean and quiet records. Hope this helps.

Din
I like the dent puller idea :D

Charles Calkins

« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2011, 03:16 pm »
John,

I've been cleaning my used records in the laundry tub with liquid dishwashing detergent and warm water for years. Yes, the label gets wet, but none have ever come off and if you let your records dry out a bit, they will be just fine. I like to use a 2 1/2" horse hair paint brush to help get the suds down in the grooves and do a circular pattern with the brush. Finally, I simply rinse of the suds completely, then using two old "fuzzy" bath towels, I put the record on one and use the other to dry off each side.

I do another type of cleaning before every play. I make a mixture of 3 parts clean water (like filtered or reverse osmosis) to 1 part 99% alcohol and that goes into a spray (misting) bottle. I then spray my Discwasher brush with the mister until it's damp and clean the record side on the table, with the platter running, to further clean, remove dust and neutralize static.

Soon, records are clean, shiny and even slippery.

I've been doing this for ......well since I was a kid.

Wayner
  Another very good piece of sound advise from Wayner.

Cheers
                                            Charlie

vinyl_lady

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2011, 05:03 pm »
I started with a Parastat and some small bottle of a cleaning fluid. Then I bought a Discwasher (still have both) and used the Discwasher fluid until I bought a VPI vacuum cleaning machine, which made a huge, huge improvement. My favorite cleaning fluids are Disc Doctor and Audio Intelligent. I add steam when I find a really dirty record and always rinse with RO deionized water. IMO, for the best results a vacuum cleaning machine is essential and a lot less labor intensive than hand washing. A Spin Clean is a good way to go if you want to keep the costs down.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #15 on: 27 Dec 2011, 06:10 pm »
I use the Disc Doctor system, and rinse with distilled water, then pat (almost) dry with plain white toilet paper and stand to final dry. A quick touch with the carbon fiber anti-static brush and a zap with the Zerostat before playing and voila!  :thumb:

http://www.discdoc.com/

It does help that he is local so I can go pick up the fluid and brushes and not pay shipping.  :green:

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #16 on: 27 Dec 2011, 07:12 pm »
I'm using the George Merrill GEM Dandy...it does an excellent job. I dry with microfiber towels.

I ran out of his cleaner so I mixed a batch of equal parts distilled water and 91% isopropyl alcohol, with a touch of Simple Green and a couple of drops of liquid dish soap.
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2011, 12:29 am by catastrofe »

ricmon

« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2011, 01:39 am »
I've settled on the Spin Clean....cheap and it works.

Ric

Charles Calkins

« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec 2011, 01:19 am »
Spun some LP's today. I followed wayners instructions and I have to say his method gets my LP's cleaner than any method I've tried.

Thank you wayner!!

Cheers
                                         Charlie

Delacroix

« Reply #19 on: 31 Dec 2011, 02:05 am »
I've tried lots and have a VPI 16.5 which does an ok job on its own but is improved in my experience by adding an extra rinse step with a clean extra attachment used just for final cycle. It's a bit of a pain to do routinely however and the machine is a noise-attack to normal folks. I have to be in the mood to do cleaning and I suspect at the rate I am proceeding with the machine, I'll never get through all my LPs with this method. Throw steam cleaning in, which I've tried, and I start to lose the will to live.

Wayner's tip on using a paintbrush to get into the grooves is a good one in my experience. I now always do this with soapy water as a first step and the brush really helps. When I am in a hurry this is all I do and I've managed to get good results with it without ever losing a label or seeing long-term problems with a record so everything else is a bonus. If I ever win the lotto, I'll try for one of those thread-based cleaners or the ultra-sonic system whose name escapes me right now. MY dream system would be something that did not look out of place in my living room and which could quietly auto-clean both sides of an LP for me in 30 secs whenever I got the urge to play it. Yeah, probably not in this lifetime.