Randall's "super-charged" SongTowers

jsalk

Randall's "super-charged" SongTowers
« on: 14 Nov 2011, 06:08 pm »
Randall wanted a pair of SongTowers in dyed bamboo.  But he wanted to know if it would be possible to use the Seas Excel W15's instead of the ER15's.  Would this be a "super-charged" pair of SongTowers or a pair of HT2-TL jrs.?  I don't know, but we aim to please. 

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Thanks to Dennis Murphy (crossover) and Paul Kittinger (TL cabinet) for another great job!

Happy listening Randall!

- Jim

ricardojoa

Re: Randall's "super-charged" SongTowers
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2011, 06:47 pm »
Randall wanted a pair of SongTowers in dyed bamboo.  But he wanted to know if it would be possible to use the Seas Excel W15's instead of the ER15's.  Would this be a "super-charged" pair of SongTowers or a pair of HT2-TL jrs.?  I don't know, but we aim to please. 

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Thanks to Dennis Murphy (crossover) and Paul Kittinger (TL cabinet) for another great job!

Happy listening Randall!

- Jim

Hi Jim, would after all these sup ups be still cheaper then the HT2TL?
How do these sound in compare to the ST?
Thanks

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2011, 06:53 pm »
Very cool, Randall; welcome to the Salk family!  You've got a one of a kind pair of speakers there...I bet that feels awesome. :)

mark funk

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2011, 10:21 pm »
COOL! I like bamboo.  :thumb:

:smoke:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2011, 10:49 pm »
Sorry Randall for the drool spot.  They were in the shop playing and I couldn't help myself. :drool:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2011, 11:48 pm »
How do they sound??
 This look and choice of drivers is my favorite so far of all I've seen in the past year or so...Great job Jim!!!!
Enjoy Randall!!!!! :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2011, 11:53 pm »
How do they sound??
 This look and choice of drivers is my favorite so far of all I've seen in the past year or so...Great job Jim!!!!
Enjoy Randall!!!!! :thumb:

Sweet.  With enough interest it could become a model.  It is an ST on steroids.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:27 am »
Somebody give us a price or  PM me a ballpark number...I have no idea how to price it out....

Kinger

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:38 am »
Wow those are definitely some beautiful speakers.  Would love to know how they sound compared to the normal ST's.

funkmonkey

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:37 am »
Cool...  those are tight.  Would love to hear some comments on their sound.
Congrats on the new speaks Randall  :thumb:
Nice work Jim

bryede

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:29 am »
Amazing! I mean, who else can you call and get a custom designed speaker?  :thumb:

So, it's looking like there should be a SongTower Level 1, Level 2, etc...

Kinda off topic but since we're talking about custom speakers... Anyone ever put the Accuton dome up against ribbons?

srb

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2011, 08:07 am »
Somebody give us a price or  PM me a ballpark number...I have no idea how to price it out....

The W15 woofers cost ~ $100 more per woofer than the ER15s.  The crossovers might be a higher order with also some extra components for a notch filter at the resonance peak?  I'm just throwing out a guess that around $600 more per pair would cover the upgrade cost?

We'll have to see what Jim says, but it sounds like a viable model (Songtower RT +) that would slot perfectly in between the SongTower RT and the HT2-TL.

Steve

fsimms

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:13 pm »
The W15 woofers cost ~ $100 more per woofer than the ER15s.  The crossovers might be a higher order with also some extra components for a notch filter at the resonance peak?  I'm just throwing out a guess that around $600 more per pair would cover the upgrade cost?

Don't forget that this is bamboo which would be extra too!

Bob

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:27 pm »
...and dyed so that might be an upcharge....calling Jim calling Jim...whats a ballpark price on this model with these options all the way around. If I was able to right now I would just call Jim and ask if he could make another exact pair. These would be exactly what I'd really like to look at!!!!

Steve...thats a good name for the model I think also...RT+ would get my vote....LOL...at least until we hear the price??
  :no_see: :no_hear: :no_speak:

Charles Xavier

« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:33 pm »
It would be nice to have something in between the Songtower and the HT2TL . Price and performance. Would these go lower in the bass region ? I hate subwoofers.

ratso

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:31 pm »
It would be nice to have something in between the Songtower and the HT2TL . Price and performance.

that would be the HT1TL.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:41 pm »
that would be the HT1TL.

True... but me no likey the look

srb

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:44 pm »
Don't forget that this is bamboo which would be extra too!

...and dyed so that might be an upcharge....

Yes, I was only speculating about the Seas woofer upgrade and crossover over the base ST RT.  Bamboo ($300) or Color Matching or Dyeing ($200) are standard listed options.

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:34 pm »
So what is your estimate Steve? take a guess, I bet you'll be close if not right on...go for it!!!! :thumb:

srb

« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:43 pm »
So what is your estimate Steve? take a guess, I bet you'll be close if not right on...go for it!!!! :thumb:

I already estimated + $600.  If I'm close, $3299 for the RT in a standard veneer with black MDF half baffle, $3599 for a natural bamboo pair or $3799 for a dyed bamboo pair?

Jim, better get in here quick!  This custom iteration has sparked a keen interest!

Steve