Big Red Machine

Re: Randall's "super-charged" SongTowers
« Reply #20 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:08 pm »
He's probably sharpening his pencil.

jsalk

« Reply #21 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:15 pm »
OK...

I have not taken the time to thoroughly think this through.   But off the top of my head, I would guess the base price would be $3395 per pair (it might be a little more or a little less).  Bamboo adds $300.  Matching a color would add $200. But in this case, we are not matching an existing piece of furniture.  So we would probably not charge to add color.

- Jim

Charles Xavier

« Reply #22 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:27 pm »
sound com
OK...

I have not taken the time to thoroughly think this through.   But off the top of my head, I would guess the base price would be $3395 per pair (it might be a little more or a little less).  Bamboo adds $300.  Matching a color would add $200. But in this case, we are not matching an existing piece of furniture.  So we would probably not charge to add color.

- Jim

Sound comparison please

myz430i

Thanks to all for this informative site.
Jim did an amazing job building these Songtowers.  Obvious to all that every pair of speakers Jim and his crew build are works of art.  These ST's look way better in person than they appear here but that likely to be said for all Salk's.
These replaced my Proac D15's which were great for the 8 plus years I owned them.  The Songtower's sound better! The build is far superior with the Salk's.  The Songtower's are  NONFATIQUING like the Proac's but pass on more musical information.  I was hopeful that the RAAL tweets would not be eched or bright and they are not.  Great sound and a privilege to join the Salk family.  By the way-in my 11 X 11 listening room I have placed these 8 inches off the rear wall which is about 6 inches closer to the rear wall than the Proac's.  Jim told me the rear port would have no problem this close and as usual he is correct.  Thanks to all-and as far as pricing-more than $1000 and less than $5000-lol.
Regards,
Randall in Weston Florida

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #24 on: 15 Nov 2011, 11:52 pm »
Sweet!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #25 on: 16 Nov 2011, 03:11 am »
Randall welcome to AC and your a bum!!!  LOL...I'm so jealous its ridiculous!!!!!!
 Have a ball!!!
  Ed :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #26 on: 16 Nov 2011, 04:55 am »
Are the W15s just more detailed or will they also reach lower?  I've been drooling over HT2-TLs for quite a while but a SongTower that had a similar bass response would be a better fit for my room.

Paul K.

« Reply #27 on: 16 Nov 2011, 02:59 pm »
The W15s in this ML-TL modeled with an F3 of 34-35 Hz, and if I remember correctly, the standard ST had a modeled F3 from its ML-TL of 40-42 Hz.  I haven't heard the Super-Charged STs but I think I'm safe in answering that the W15s will also sound more detailed.  Another thing that was a nice and unexpected outcome when I modeled the SCSTs is I was able to use a smaller box; the depth, and therefore the volume, is less than the standard STs.
Paul Kittinger

Are the W15s just more detailed or will they also reach lower?  I've been drooling over HT2-TLs for quite a while but a SongTower that had a similar bass response would be a better fit for my room.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #28 on: 16 Nov 2011, 03:21 pm »
I did extensive comparisons between the SCST and the regular one.  The W15's go about 3 Hz lower than the ER15's, and I found the bass response a little cleaner at normal listening levels.  At the same time, the midbass was a little leaner than the regular woofs, and the W15's can't be pushed quite as hard as the ER15's because they have a little less travel.  Overall, the sound was certainly very detailed.  I don't consider these rock speakers--the HT2 TL's will pump out a lot more bass before complaining--but they are very refined and clean, as you would expect with drivers of this quality. 

mathgeek97

« Reply #29 on: 16 Nov 2011, 06:34 pm »
I don't consider these rock speakers--the HT2 TL's will pump out a lot more bass before complaining--but they are very refined and clean, as you would expect with drivers of this quality.

Sounds like these would be a great choice for a 2.1 or 5.1 setup.

Saturn94

« Reply #30 on: 16 Nov 2011, 06:45 pm »
Should of, could of, would of........... :o

Wow.  This would been a great alternative to my HT2-TLs (I use a sub so don't need the bass extension).  The reduced cabinet size would have certainly been a better fit for my space while keeping that HT2 sound.

Guess I should have taken more time with Jim discussing custom options. :oops:

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #31 on: 17 Nov 2011, 03:10 am »
The W15s in this ML-TL modeled with an F3 of 34-35 Hz, and if I remember correctly, the standard ST had a modeled F3 from its ML-TL of 40-42 Hz.  I haven't heard the Super-Charged STs but I think I'm safe in answering that the W15s will also sound more detailed.  Another thing that was a nice and unexpected outcome when I modeled the SCSTs is I was able to use a smaller box; the depth, and therefore the volume, is less than the standard STs.
Paul Kittinger
I did extensive comparisons between the SCST and the regular one.  The W15's go about 3 Hz lower than the ER15's, and I found the bass response a little cleaner at normal listening levels.  At the same time, the midbass was a little leaner than the regular woofs, and the W15's can't be pushed quite as hard as the ER15's because they have a little less travel.  Overall, the sound was certainly very detailed.  I don't consider these rock speakers--the HT2 TL's will pump out a lot more bass before complaining--but they are very refined and clean, as you would expect with drivers of this quality.

Better bass and a shallower cabinet compare to the normal SongTower???  Where's my checkbook?  These will definitely be my next purchase after my AVA amp shows up.