upgrade/update BDP for larger hdd sizes?

Marius

upgrade/update BDP for larger hdd sizes?
« on: 12 Nov 2011, 08:20 pm »
since my first 500gig hdd was full as of today, I went out to buy a second Lacie rikiki. Only ones left are 1 tera, and although I seemed to remember James stating twice 500gig was the max for BDP1 , I tried it anyhow. No problem using it differently if things wouldn't go as they should.

And they didn't.... Tried both HDD on the back, changing top and bottom usb but the BDP had a hard time loading, updating playing etc etc. Finally I had updated the HDD's separately, booted and rebooted, and indeed Max sees both hdd's. My Mac won't though, and sees only the 500gig when both are plugged in. (update: with the front usb's free of thumb drives Mac Finder does see both Hdd's)

Ok , my own fault I guess, James warned us (me)....

But what Im getting at is, apparently the smaller HDD are leaving us, and are becoming more and more hard to find. The terabyte plus hdd's are setting the standard. Where does this leave the BDP? Can it be updated/upgraded to use the larger HDD's? Or do we have to buy several 500 HDD's now, to be safe for the future?

Did not buy the powered ones yet, because the make a lot more noise, and haven't seen any comments yet on interference of HF signals into the system.

Could you please shed your light on this, James?

Thanks,
Marius

skunark

Re: upgrade/update BDP for larger hdd sizes?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2011, 09:49 pm »
I have a Western Digital 1TB and 750GB mobile (bus-powered) drives working on the BDP, both blogged into the rear port.    My 750GB G-Tech drive exceeds the 5mA limit on the BDP, so that one won't work either.

There are other posts on this topic for the BDP

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2011, 09:57 pm »
since my first 500gig hdd was full as of today, I went out to buy a second Lacie rikiki. Only ones left are 1 tera, and although I seemed to remember James stating twice 500gig was the max for BDP1 , I tried it anyhow. No problem using it differently if things wouldn't go as they should.

And they didn't.... Tried both HDD on the back, changing top and bottom usb but the BDP had a hard time loading, updating playing etc etc. Finally I had updated the HDD's separately, booted and rebooted, and indeed Max sees both hdd's. My Mac won't though, and sees only the 500gig when both are plugged in. (update: with the front usb's free of thumb drives Mac Finder does see both Hdd's)

Ok , my own fault I guess, James warned us (me)....

But what Im getting at is, apparently the smaller HDD are leaving us, and are becoming more and more hard to find. The terabyte plus hdd's are setting the standard. Where does this leave the BDP? Can it be updated/upgraded to use the larger HDD's? Or do we have to buy several 500 HDD's now, to be safe for the future?

Did not buy the powered ones yet, because the make a lot more noise, and haven't seen any comments yet on interference of HF signals into the system.

Could you please shed your light on this, James?

Thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius,

It will depend on the current draw of the USB dive.  Fortunately the newer dives (including the new SSD's) are becoming more and more power efficient due to the new power consumption regulations.

The USB power is limited to 500ma at the back rear port and 500MA shared by the top rear and two front ports.  Thumbdrives take very little power and larger versions are becoming more available.  I have used the Western Digital 1TB Passport drives in combination with a 500GB Seagate drive with no issues but the Western Digital does not need as much current as the older larger USB - 1-TB drives.

If we go ahead with the docking station idea then larger drives could be used because the docking station will have its own power supply.  I am thinking a docking station which will take up to 4 - 2.5 inch drives and a separate power supply for each pair of drives.

I also have a BDP-1 connected to 2 powered drives 2TB and 1TB and no issue there of course because they are powered.

james

Marius

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm »
HI James,

Thanks. As stated: I unmounted the two front thumbs and now the 1Tb and 500 Gig are working fine.

About the powered drives: what are your thoughts about signal noise and mechanical noise compared to the unpowerd 2,5 inch drives?

Any tips or criteria in selecting certain models or types?

Thanks!
Marius

Hi Marius,

It will depend on the current draw of the USB dive.  Fortunately the newer dives (including the new SSD's) are becoming more and more power efficient due to the new power consumption regulations.

The USB power is limited to 500ma at the back rear port and 500MA shared by the top rear and two front ports.  Thumbdrives take very little power and larger versions are becoming more available.  I have used the Western Digital 1TB Passport drives in combination with a 500GB Seagate drive with no issues but the Western Digital does not need as much current as the older larger USB - 1-TB drives.

If we go ahead with the docking station idea then larger drives could be used because the docking station will have its own power supply.  I am thinking a docking station which will take up to 4 - 2.5 inch drives and a separate power supply for each pair of drives.

I also have a BDP-1 connected to 2 powered drives 2TB and 1TB and no issue there of course because they are powered.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2011, 10:27 pm »
HI James,

Thanks. As stated: I unmounted the two front thumbs and now the 1Tb and 500 Gig are working fine.

About the powered drives: what are your thoughts about signal noise and mechanical noise compared to the unpowerd 2,5 inch drives?

Any tips or criteria in selecting certain models or types?

Thanks!
Marius

You know I have struggled with that myself... but so far in the blind tests I have run with a 2TB powered drive vs a 500GB bus-powered drive using the same Wave files no one has been able to differentiate the two.

james

Marius

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2011, 10:41 pm »
ok thanks.
The powered drives don't make more external noise either? The guy in the shop told me that they spin faster and are larger, so they are noisier. Wouldn't want that of course.

Marius

You know I have struggled with that myself... but so far in the blind tests I have run with a 2TB powered drive vs a 500GB bus-powered drive using the same Wave files no one has been able to differentiate the two.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2011, 11:18 pm »
ok thanks.
The powered drives don't make more external noise either? The guy in the shop told me that they spin faster and are larger, so they are noisier. Wouldn't want that of course.

Marius

Yes they are a bit noisier  - I have mine in a closed cabinet that my BDP-1 sits on so there is no noise from the drive.

james

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2011, 12:19 am »
ok thanks.

Marius

I am using two 2TB external drives from Oyen Digital (http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/TQM12H-72-2000-S.html) and you can't hear them until you are right on top of them.  Which means I hear absolutely nothing from my listening position which is around 20 feet away.   :thumb:

BTW, the Oyen drives/enclosures are a lot quieter than the cheaper external drives from WD or Seagate that I have in my office.

George

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2011, 12:23 am »
I am using two 2TB external drives from Oyen Digital (http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/TQM12H-72-2000-S.html) and you can't hear them until you are right on top of them.  Which means I hear absolutely nothing from my listening position which around 20 feet away.   :thumb:

BTW, the Oyen drives/enclosures are a lot quieter than the cheaper external drives from WD or Seagate that I have in my office.

George

Hi George

Thanks - I am going to try one of those :thumb:

James

SamKVA

« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2011, 02:18 am »
Yes they are a bit noisier  - I have mine in a closed cabinet that my BDP-1 sits on so there is no noise from the drive.

james

James,

Your cabinet sounds like a Bryston BD-??? Docking Station???

Sam

Alpha10

« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2011, 08:56 am »

james

Sounds good James, the more people are running out of disc space, and the ability to even find smaller drives, the greater the need for the BDE-1  :o with more and more hi-rez material becoming available, this will be an increasing issue for the BDP-1 owners.

:thumb:

Marius

« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2011, 09:41 am »
Thanks James, I will have a look at those certainly then.

But to get back to my question in the topic: no upgrade/update possible to have more  power at the back usb-connections? Twice 500mA would be a big enhancement already.

Marius

james

Marius

« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2011, 09:43 am »
That's might be a solution too: less power consumption. Would anyone on this list know of a overview of hdd's and their power-consumption?

Hi Marius,

james

Marius

« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2011, 10:12 am »
other solution: a NAS with usb connection? I seem to remember someone mentioning a HDD with Nas capabilities. I just can not find it anymore. Would anyone know of a gigabit NAS (with all the todays multimedia needs) that could be seen as a USB HDD by the BDP1?

Thanks again,

Marius

I guess my Time Capsule won't do the trick?

That's might be a solution too: less power consumption. Would anyone on this list know of a overview of hdd's and their power-consumption?

terrycym

« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2011, 10:33 am »

predrag

« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2011, 10:52 am »
Good question Marius.
Last month when I received my BDP1 I tried to connect at the rear USB port Western Digital 3TB hard drive with it`s own power supply. It had about 2,3 TB of music files loaded.
However after 24 hours being connected nothing happened as it was showing "updating" all the time.
When I connected 300GB WD Passport drive it updated it within two minutes and started to work flawlessly.
In order to listen to my music library I have to copy the files on my computer from the big (3TB) one to a small (300GB).
I suppose there must be a solution for this problem or an upgrade in near future.
Curious to know experience from the others.

Marius

« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2011, 10:53 am »
That might well be, yes, thank you!

Whether it really works is to be found out of course.... :scratch: James, you would not happen to know if this one suits the BDP needs?

Marius

Was this the one Marius?
http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?id=10491

Marius

« Reply #17 on: 13 Nov 2011, 10:58 am »
Not sure about my answer now, but I found that the TB drive did load, but it took a long long time indeed. Finally I rebooted, while it still was showing "updating', and after that it showed all music and was playing fine. But rebooting (next morning) again, with both HDD attached did not work. Have to do it separately, so thats  nothing of an option, but helas per design. Please bear in mind that I'm talking about to non self powered-HDD's that feed from the BDP. I have no experience with the self powered ones yet. The Lacie Terry mentions above might do the trick for me.

Marius

Good question Marius.
Last month when I received my BDP1 I tried to connect at the rear USB port Western Digital 3TB hard drive with it`s own power supply. It had about 2,3 TB of music files loaded.
However after 24 hours being connected nothing happened as it was showing "updating" all the time.
When I connected 300GB WD Passport drive it updated it within two minutes and started to work flawlessly.
In order to listen to my music library I have to copy the files on my computer from the big (3TB) one to a small (300GB).
I suppose there must be a solution for this problem or an upgrade in near future.
Curious to know experience from the others.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 13 Nov 2011, 11:41 am »
That might well be, yes, thank you!

Whether it really works is to be found out of course.... :scratch: James, you would not happen to know if this one suits the BDP needs?

Marius

Hi Marius,

No sorry I do not - I have not tried it.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 13 Nov 2011, 11:47 am »
Sounds good James, the more people are running out of disc space, and the ability to even find smaller drives, the greater the need for the BDE-1  :o with more and more hi-rez material becoming available, this will be an increasing issue for the BDP-1 owners.

:thumb:

Hi,

I have not had any issues finding small drives?  Why do you feel that smaller 2.5 dives (1TB and smaller) are a thing of the past? Thumb-drives seem to be getting bigger all the time and SSD are just starting to come down in price.   Also the smaller drives are generally much quieter :thumb:

james