• AXPONA 2013 - Chicago: 8 Mar 2013 - 10 Mar 2013

AXPONA 2013 - Chicago

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: AXPONA 2013 - Chicago
« Reply #60 on: 9 Mar 2013, 06:55 pm »
Excellent show so far, great turnout .... We're hoping to meet some more AC'ers, so come by 709 and say hi.

RSB

« Reply #61 on: 10 Mar 2013, 04:38 am »
I was at Axpona today (Sat) was in the Vapor room, and enjoyed the sound very much!  Thank you!  I was also in the Mod right room and was taken by the modded OPPO 105, and the speakers, too.

Randy

Guy 13

« Reply #62 on: 10 Mar 2013, 10:19 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Maybe I'm a little off topic, but not that much.
What's the most interesting exhibition for the audiophiles and/or to see and hear audio equipment.
Guy 13

enjoythemusic

« Reply #63 on: 10 Mar 2013, 12:02 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Posted Friday and Saturday's coverage, Sunday's coming up later today of course :)

www.EnjoyTheMusic.com/axpona_2013/

bruson2

« Reply #64 on: 10 Mar 2013, 12:10 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Posted Friday and Saturday's coverage, Sunday's coming up later today of course :)

I haven't gone to an audio show in years.
Is the crowd older, say 40+, white professional males, for the most part?

Were there many younger 18-30 years olds there, the next generation, so to speak?

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #65 on: 10 Mar 2013, 12:57 pm »
Ryan, Pete, great dinner last night.
Ted, Jack, Roscoe, etc, etc. thanks to all for stopping in. Always great to put  face with a name.

cheers,

AJ

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #66 on: 10 Mar 2013, 01:23 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Hope you're feeling better today Steve.

roscoeiii

« Reply #67 on: 10 Mar 2013, 02:53 pm »
Ryan, Pete, great dinner last night.
Ted, Jack, Roscoe, etc, etc. thanks to all for stopping in. Always great to put  face with a name.

cheers,

AJ

Likewise AJ, super sounding speakers. Best speaker deal of the show I have seen so far!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #68 on: 10 Mar 2013, 03:33 pm »
Yes, it was great to see (and/or finally meet) the ACers at the Show.  Nice speakers both AJ and Ryan!!  And nice to see Tom S again, and then meet and have dinner with jackman and roscoeiii, Tom S and Rob(questfortone), along with Mike Kay, etc.  Got to meet and chat with everyone.  Very cool.  Thanks

TomS

« Reply #69 on: 10 Mar 2013, 03:53 pm »
It was great to see some AC folks this weekend  :thumb:

I assume the organizers had to be very happy with the result, as the attendance seemed really strong. Other than that little fire alarm issue where we evacuated the whole hotel, all went very well. The venue was excellent, with 3 close in hotels and access to good walkable restaurants.

The sound in most of the rooms at this show was much, much better than any of the other shows I've attended. With a few exceptions there weren't so many totally "over the top" rooms, trying way too hard to live up to the price tags. The music choices even seemed better, with fewer old standard "audiophile voices" emanating from the rooms, very non-show like. I had to write a bunch of them down for purchase later. Several exhibiters were even getting very good sound right off the bat Friday, which has to be a challenge. There was an abundance of mostly ATS room treatments present, though sometimes they seemed to be haphazardly placed.

It's hard to pick any single room out, as there were so many that were nicely set up. AJ's new speakers were silly good for the money and the Vapor Cirrus' sounded better than I've ever heard them, which is already very good. The little Rogue Hypex integrated was very nice on the Harbeth 30's too. You could build a sweet system around that little guy for sure. The new Wadia Intuition integrated/DAC with DSD, 6 digital inputs, and 2 analog inputs, was a fascinating all in one device for $7500, a stunningly beautiful physical design. I heard a RTR master tape of some local Chicago jazz on the Lamms/TAD References in the Artisen Fidelity room that totally knocked me out. I'll definitely remember that experience for a long time. Another well done room was the biamped Wisdom L75/Krell system. The gentleman there did a great job of demo'ing and though I never was particularly impressed with them before, this time they really had them dialed in nicely (with subs off!).

Overall the staff and exhibitors did a great job for the return to Chicago and it was truly a lot of fun. Hopefully they're back again next year.

Tom

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #70 on: 10 Mar 2013, 04:07 pm »
It was great to see some AC folks this weekend  :thumb:

I assume the organizers had to be very happy with the result, as the attendance seemed really strong. Other than that little fire alarm issue where we evacuated the whole hotel, all went very well. The venue was excellent, with 3 close in hotels and access to good walkable restaurants.

The sound in most of the rooms at this show was much, much better than any of the other shows I've attended. With a few exceptions there weren't so many totally "over the top" rooms, trying way too hard to live up to the price tags. The music choices even seemed better, with fewer old standard "audiophile voices" emanating from the rooms, very non-show like. I had to write a bunch of them down for purchase later. Several exhibiters were even getting very good sound right off the bat Friday, which has to be a challenge. There was an abundance of mostly ATS room treatments present, though sometimes they seemed to be haphazardly placed.

It's hard to pick any single room out, as there were so many that were nicely set up. AJ's new speakers were silly good for the money and the Vapor Cirrus' sounded better than I've ever heard them, which is already very good. The little Rogue Hypex integrated was very nice on the Harbeth 30's too. You could build a sweet system around that little guy for sure. The new Wadia Intuition integrated/DAC with DSD, 6 digital inputs, and 2 analog inputs, was a fascinating all in one device for $7500, a stunningly beautiful physical design. I heard a RTR master tape of some local Chicago jazz on the Lamms/TAD References in the Artisen Fidelity room that totally knocked me out. I'll definitely remember that experience for a long time. Another well done room was the biamped Wisdom L75/Krell system. The gentleman there did a great job of demo'ing and though I never was particularly impressed with them before, this time they really had them dialed in nicely (with subs off!).

Overall the staff and exhibitors did a great job for the return to Chicago and it was truly a lot of fun. Hopefully they're back again next year.

Tom

+1

Tom, it's almost as if we attended the same show!  :)

I could not agree more, even with your standout room mentions.  AJ, Ryan, Decibel Audio (Harbeth/Rogue Sphynx), King Audio, Acoustic Zen..and finally, room 705!  Tom, I can't thank you enough for the tip on Room 705.  It was our last room before driving back last night, and it was the best...by some margin frankly.  The R2R jazz recording through the TAD Ref Ones was almost unbelievable...one of the top 5 rooms I've ever heard at shows.  And they played Curtis Counce vinyl that was nearly as good (although the tape was ridiculous).  It further solidified a maxim for me: if I won the lottery the TAD Reference Ones would be the first purchase, period.

dminches

« Reply #71 on: 10 Mar 2013, 04:44 pm »
This show had a very different feel than RMAF.   I think it had to do, in part, to the fact that more of the rooms were manned by dealers than manufacturers as compared to RMAF.  Everyone just seemed more relaxed.  Maybe since RM is the biggest show the vendors feel more pressure.  Whatever the reason, this was a fun show and one with so many good sounding rooms.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #72 on: 10 Mar 2013, 05:33 pm »
I am headed there today, thanks for pointing out some of the "do not miss" rooms...

Sounds like yesterday was the big day for most.  ---Any other ac'ers going today?

Pm me if you are going and would like to meet up there at some point.

-Tony

Alleye

« Reply #73 on: 10 Mar 2013, 05:38 pm »
Totally agree with dmiches. It seemed like everyone was having a good time attendees and exhibitors included. I had planned on going yesterday and unfortunately didn't get there... Friday seemed pretty quite was Saturday busy? Overall, I hope they got the attendance they were looking for... I miss a "Chicago-based" show.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #74 on: 10 Mar 2013, 05:45 pm »
Yes, agree with Dminches and Alleye that the overall tone was more relaxed than RMAF or CES-Venetian (which is sell, sell, sell of course).  Also, little things like elevator access and frequency..big help in keeping down frustrations.  I think, in hindsight, that RMAF is getting much too big for the Marriott.  Hallways become much too congested and noisy, and rooms become too noisy themselves with the "arms race" attitude of being louder than the room next to you (AXPONA rooms were not always back to back to back).  Also, the RMAF consumer feels pressured to listen to only a half a track of music then move on, due to the crowds and backup.  I'm overstating the problem, but it is there nonetheless....evident in contrast to the more peaceful AXPONA environment.

pslate

« Reply #75 on: 10 Mar 2013, 09:01 pm »
Vapor's stiff breeze sounded great, AJ's Monitor 2 sounded gigantic, Rick's Tempsta's had a detailed and beautiful midrange. Everyone was keyed on Rick's + Audio Elegance PE curved array, and it was super cool shake Don Keele's hand. Had to say I preferred  the Salk silk tp the SS8. Nice when you like the budget item : ) Great show for AC people, just very, very strong for the circle. The KEF LS50 was also impressive, but the brit at the helm had major wood to play super bass heavy tracks, organ etc., which I did not love. It would have been to highlight adequate bass, which they have. Super nice speakers. Anyhow great to have a hometown show, and it looked like Chicago could easily hold such a show annually. AJ's speakers are a very, very good deal  :thumb:

Go AC!

jackmonster

« Reply #76 on: 10 Mar 2013, 09:31 pm »
I'm new to AC. 1st post.  Your above findings of Axpona are spot on. I attended Friday.  New to Vapor-Cirrus Black VERY impressive.  Other standouts- Kef LS50, Joseph Pulsar and ,of course the Tad room with them playing the Master Jazz tape.  That was worth the price of admission alone.  The most realistic reproduction of music I've ever heard from any speaker.  It was literally like the sax player was playing inside the speaker.  Incredible.  One other speaker intrigued me. The Newform Research 84" tall line array speakers with 4 subs.  Ribbons mounted directly in front of the drivers.  Wouldn't seem like it would work- but they sounded ultra transparent.  Looked up the company- seemed to be around about 10 years ago and no real threads on them in the last 7-8 years.   I  thought they sounded great- wondered if anyone else heard them or knows about them.

Joemamma

Soundfield monitor 2
« Reply #77 on: 10 Mar 2013, 11:02 pm »
Can we get some more info on Aj's new speaker.   Best deal at the show has been mentioned.  What is the price?  Would a 3rd one make for a good center channel?   More details on this tweeter would be great.

jackmonster

« Reply #78 on: 11 Mar 2013, 12:24 am »
Sorry - I'm new to AC. Who is AJ? What speakers are we talking about?

charmerci

« Reply #79 on: 11 Mar 2013, 12:58 am »
Sorry - I'm new to AC. Who is AJ? What speakers are we talking about?

An AC enthusiast who started building and selling speakers for fun and not profit.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97955.0