Any Beck fans out there?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Any Beck fans out there?
« Reply #40 on: 16 Sep 2011, 04:57 pm »
Sea Change on SACD is a top-tier demonstration disk, and a definitive answer to the question, Can a Scientologist have soul? HP rightly put this straight into his Super Disk list. It’s a master class in what a modern pop recording can accomplish in clarity and complexity and levels of composition. The stuff going on with the string arrangements (by Beck’s father, David Campbel) and all kinds of low-level synth/ambient noise are pure hi-fi brilliance, along with the gynormous cavernous soundstage framing 3D instrumentation, everything working to sustain a luxe downbeat vibe amid a lot of euphonious folkie moping over lost love.

This album has operated as a successful gateway drug for several young’uns I’d been trying to lure into embracing quality audio gear. They have the album on MP3 or whatever and think they’ve heard it, and then they sit in the sweet spot and listen to the Direct Stream Digital cranked up on a Sony DVP-S9000ES and have a little psychedelic epiphany. It really does the trick and no laws are broken.

+1.  It has been one of my main surround demos since it was released.  I own it in SACD and DVD-Audio (cuz DVD-Audio plays in my Infiniti DVD-Audio car system, etc).   I've written several reviews/posts about it on at least 10 forums, but I think the words above are all you need.  Very well said!   And yes, my boys (now 18, 20, 25) were all turned onto Beck via me (go figure...actually I think Mike, my 25 yr old was already tuned in) and the 5.1 hirez full-range ginormous Sea Change experience in my music room helped enormously.   :thumb:

gooberdude

« Reply #41 on: 16 Sep 2011, 05:34 pm »
+2 for Sea Change.  its my favorite Beck album.  SO cool to hear him broken hearted, and to feel what he turned that emotion into.  Had no idea his dad was involved...

Thank you guys for reminding us that some of his material is available on hi-rez.

Of all the stars out there, Beck is high on my list of people i'd like to party with.    :thumb:

A lot of people poo poo Mellow Gold, but I think its amazing considering he was essentially homeless & unknown at the time.  Anyone remember his whacked out MTV interviews back in the day?  What a character!

jeff442

« Reply #42 on: 23 Sep 2011, 05:39 pm »
+2 for Sea Change.  its my favorite Beck album.  SO cool to hear him broken hearted, and to feel what he turned that emotion into.  Had no idea his dad was involved...

Thank you guys for reminding us that some of his material is available on hi-rez.

Of all the stars out there, Beck is high on my list of people i'd like to party with.    :thumb:

A lot of people poo poo Mellow Gold, but I think its amazing considering he was essentially homeless & unknown at the time.  Anyone remember his whacked out MTV interviews back in the day?  What a character!

Does anyone here no where I can pickup the Sea Change DVD-A disc for less than an arm and a leg?  I seems to be out of print and I only see it on Ebay and Amazon for ~$100!!!

Wayner

« Reply #43 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:56 pm »
Very funny.  Again folks, this is Beck, not Jeff Beck.

Actually, I had a Freudian slip. The album's name is Odelay, not Beckola (which I know is Jeff Beck).

So is Odelay any good?

Sorry about the consfusion (old fart).

Wayner 8)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #44 on: 23 Sep 2011, 07:23 pm »
Odelay is great, but take that with a grain of salt...cuz I LOVE Beck.

Seriously, it's considered one of his great efforts....and was recently "deluxed" with a few new mixes and several new demo tracks.

gooberdude

« Reply #45 on: 23 Sep 2011, 07:25 pm »
Wayner,

Odelay is, in my opinion, Beck's most artistic album that's inline with the rest of his work.  Sea Change is amazing 'cuz he pours his heart out, Mellow Gold is cool 'cuz it started him off, but Odelay is when he was his best but still fresh (not insanely wealthy).

I have all of Becks albums on vinyl, he had his own recording label 'Bongload Records'.  Very heavy vinyl, good quality pressings.

Wayner

« Reply #46 on: 23 Sep 2011, 08:14 pm »
Thanks Goob and Ted. I think I am going to order Odelay from Music Direct, tho it's a bit pricey. I think I deserve another treat!!!!

Hopefully, the wife likes it too.

Wayner

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 23 Sep 2011, 08:27 pm »
Several used (I usually buy used, just gonna rip once it gets here anyway) on Amazon for $.01 plus shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000003TBP/ref=tmm_acd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used

AVnerdguy

« Reply #48 on: 23 Sep 2011, 08:28 pm »
Well, if you love XTC's Nonsuch then you should like Odelay. Get the Deluxe 2 CD version. Some interesting remix stuff.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #49 on: 23 Sep 2011, 08:32 pm »
That'd be a nice combo, Beck and Andy (Partridge).  Andy is in my most-underrated hall of fame.

Wayner

« Reply #50 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:18 pm »
XTC iz big here. I need the vinyl version, however. My house is a digital not zone.

Wayner

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #51 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:23 pm »
Wayner,
I don't want to discourage you from getting Odelay, it's a great album. But it is worlds away from Sea Change, IMO. You should check some samples on Amazon or youtube if you haven't already.

Wayner

« Reply #52 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:32 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. I will try to sample it.

W

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #53 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:36 pm »
Sorry to hijack but the double album original vinyl (UK) of English Settlement is very good.  Although I'm 90% digital now I miss the sound of that album in vinyl.  The cd doesn't come close.

DaveBSC

« Reply #54 on: 24 Sep 2011, 12:46 am »
What do you guys think of the Mofi CD for Sea Change (UDCD 780)? I have that and the DVD-A. The Mofi CD has even more dynamic range than the DVD-A and SACD. The problem I have with it is that several of the songs were altered and lengthened, and it seems like some of the songs were slowed down slightly, lowering the pitch.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #55 on: 24 Sep 2011, 01:06 am »
I love the MFSL mix; seems to be much more like the 5.1 one, with an average of about 8 seconds longer per song, and a slightly cleaner crisper mix with better top end..(Lost Cause is a great example).  "It's All In Your Mind" is almost a new song, the mix is so enhanced..  It's the definitive mix for 2 channel.  And "Ship In A Bottle" is fun (but agree with Beck that it's a little too pop for the rest of the album).

Dave, thanks for reminding me to go back to the MFSl.  I'm listening to it now and enthralled again.  This is Beck's piece de resistance, IMHO.  A beautiful country-folk-rock album recorded on one of the moons of Saturn.   8)

Gopher

« Reply #56 on: 24 Sep 2011, 02:15 am »
Sea Changes is still in my heavy rotation today... in fact, I've got Paper Tiger playing as I type this.

I respect all of his work as an artist, though I will admit, not all of it speaks to me.  This album though is a favorite.

Rclark

« Reply #57 on: 24 Sep 2011, 02:23 am »
Just started getting into Beck. I have Sea Changes, Odelay, and one I can't remember off the top even though it's my favorite.

Thing I like best about him is his cd's are HDCD's and sound fantastic. Only a few of my 700 plus cds did the band go that extra mile and they sure do sound better, richer.

Rclark

« Reply #58 on: 24 Sep 2011, 07:30 pm »
Mutations.  That's the one I have and really love. Btw, sea changes is kind of a real downer to listen to. Musically pretty though.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #59 on: 24 Sep 2011, 07:41 pm »
Yes, Sea Change (not "Changes"  :) ) is a down mood listen, but so are many good pieces of music.  And I'm glad you like Mutations; it's really a great album without any filler.