Check out what's going to RMAF.... more pics added

Jonathon Janusz

Re: Check out what's going to RMAF....
« Reply #60 on: 5 Oct 2013, 05:34 am »
Danny, is Ruben doing the cabinet work on these or are these OEM elsewhere?  Just wanting to give credit where due.

bdp24

« Reply #61 on: 5 Oct 2013, 10:56 am »
Danny, what are you powering the 3-driver subs with? I've been operating under the assumption that one A370 per trio of 12's will be enough. I'll be making my 3-12 cabinets after the Holiday's. They'll be here before we know it!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #62 on: 5 Oct 2013, 11:10 am »
Looking good!   :D

Will be fun listening to these next week.

See everyone soon!

Danny Richie

« Reply #63 on: 5 Oct 2013, 02:47 pm »
Ruben did not do these.

One A370PEQ amp can drive three of the SW-12-16FR woofers.

Danny Richie

Re: Check out what's going to RMAF.... more pics added
« Reply #64 on: 6 Oct 2013, 02:25 am »
Getting a little burn in time now...

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #65 on: 6 Oct 2013, 02:36 am »
Danny, I know you are excited to try out your new LS9, as you haven't had any in the house for a while, but you really should finish building the cabinets before playing them. ;)

Seriously, though, the finish on those looks to be bringing the grain on the veneer out very nicely!  Do they have matching outboard amp and crossover enclosures, or did all that somehow get integrated into the bases?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #66 on: 6 Oct 2013, 02:38 am »
 :drool: :drool: :drool:

cleestedwood

« Reply #67 on: 6 Oct 2013, 02:38 am »
 Danny, just wanted to know why the No-Rez is only applied to the vertical sides of the subs and not to the horizontal MDF. These speakers are going to cause alot of drooling!!! :D

WireNut

« Reply #68 on: 6 Oct 2013, 02:58 am »
Oh gawd, that's just sick  :bawl:

bdp24

« Reply #69 on: 6 Oct 2013, 03:14 am »
Now if there were another 3-12 H-frame and A370 on each side, the speakers and subs would be about the same height, floor-to-ceiling!

Danny Richie

« Reply #70 on: 6 Oct 2013, 04:05 am »
Do they have matching outboard amp and crossover enclosures, or did all that somehow get integrated into the bases?

The subs have their own A370PEQ amp.

There is no passive high pass filter on the mains. I am running a line level in line RCA still filter with Platinum Sonicaps. The passive crossover is integrated into the base of the main speakers.

Danny, just wanted to know why the No-Rez is only applied to the vertical sides of the subs and not to the horizontal MDF. These speakers are going to cause alot of drooling!!! :D

I thought I'd start with it there and see what it did.

Danny Richie

« Reply #71 on: 6 Oct 2013, 04:07 am »
Oh yeah, I hooked up the big Blue Dodd amps tonight and gave them a little power.

I'm stunned. I have never heard bass response quite like this. And the woofers in the main speakers were hardly even moving.

Danny Richie

« Reply #72 on: 6 Oct 2013, 04:09 am »
Now if there were another 3-12 H-frame and A370 on each side, the speakers and subs would be about the same height, floor-to-ceiling!

That would be pretty cool. Right now though the subs aren't even moving to half their X-Max and they are bringing the house down.

And the crossover point from the subs to the main speakers is 80Hz.

bdp24

« Reply #73 on: 6 Oct 2013, 05:04 am »
I've been waiting for someone to do three SW-12-16FR's per side. Ya beat me to it Danny! I'm sure I don't need two of the loaded frames per side either. My speakers are the SPL limiting factor.

Skiman

« Reply #74 on: 6 Oct 2013, 06:14 am »
For those of us who don't have $39,0000 to spare, could those subs be made to work with LS9s or LS6s?

Ric Schultz

« Reply #75 on: 6 Oct 2013, 07:00 am »
Danny,
I bet they sound sweet!  But wouldn't you get better mids and highs from using a line source of 6 neo 10s and 16 neo 3s?....and then use 6 8 inch servo woofs per side running on a separate open baffle from around 40Hz and then with a couple of 12 inch sealed servo subs in the corners?  The mids and highs would have less back emf from the main amp, have less vibration from the woofs, be more sensitive, dynamic and transparent.  No?  I also think it would look cooler to have 6 8s on an open baffle then 3 12s in H frames.  Since the mids and highs would be more sensitive then you can use a less powerful amp on them too and also you don't need all the damping when you are not driving 12 6 inch woofs.

By the way, BG Radia has a new floor standing speaker (model BG Radia FS-880) using 6 neo 10s, 16 neo 3s and 4 eight inch woofs in each array.  Two of the woofs face forward and one on each side of the woofer section on the bottom.  They come with a 1200 watt amp for the woofs.  Looks like open baffle mids and highs and sealed 8s on the bottom.  $35,000 list.  Very slick and sleek looking affair.  The best pics are on their Facebook page.  One comment said it had an all Mundorf crossover.  We shall see.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #76 on: 6 Oct 2013, 01:10 pm »
Very nice Danny! They look beautiful as always.Looking forward to hearing them soon (wow - just a few days now  :o)

Have you decided on which amps yet? Gonna be tough after listening to them with the big Dodds to go with less.... :green:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #77 on: 6 Oct 2013, 01:22 pm »
For those of us who don't have $39,0000 to spare, could those subs be made to work with LS9s or LS6s?
It would probably sound incredible. I'm currently running my LS6s (experimenting with crossover points) using the servo subs of my Super V's. I am mightily impressed. Setup required serious repositioning of the speakers from where I had them before, and I have the Super V's immediately to the inside of the LS6s. I've given up a bit of depth that I had with the OB's, but it really is am impressive setup. I'm guessing that Danny's new speakers get that depth back (and then some - OB Line source - anxious to hear)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120031.0

I imagine that 3 servos per side would be jaw dropping!

Danny Richie

« Reply #78 on: 6 Oct 2013, 01:45 pm »
Danny,
I bet they sound sweet!  But wouldn't you get better mids and highs from using a line source of 6 neo 10s and 16 neo 3s?....and then use 6 8 inch servo woofs per side running on a separate open baffle from around 40Hz and then with a couple of 12 inch sealed servo subs in the corners?  The mids and highs would have less back emf from the main amp, have less vibration from the woofs, be more sensitive, dynamic and transparent.  No?  I also think it would look cooler to have 6 8s on an open baffle then 3 12s in H frames.  Since the mids and highs would be more sensitive then you can use a less powerful amp on them too and also you don't need all the damping when you are not driving 12 6 inch woofs.

Sounds like a model I am working on for Serenity Acoustics.

By the way, BG Radia has a new floor standing speaker (model BG Radia FS-880) using 6 neo 10s, 16 neo 3s and 4 eight inch woofs in each array.  Two of the woofs face forward and one on each side of the woofer section on the bottom.  They come with a 1200 watt amp for the woofs.  Looks like open baffle mids and highs and sealed 8s on the bottom.  $35,000 list.  Very slick and sleek looking affair.  The best pics are on their Facebook page.  One comment said it had an all Mundorf crossover.  We shall see.

Looks like they left out an important design element or two. And I am not a fan of the Mundorf caps, but they do have a known name to market behind.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #79 on: 6 Oct 2013, 02:59 pm »
Oh yeah, I hooked up the big Blue Dodd amps tonight and gave them a little power.

. . . not gonna say I told ya so. . .  :icon_twisted:  I would think the term we're looking for is "effortlessness".

Anyone want to take bets on if Danny is trying to figure out right now how to haul another 600lbs of crated parts cross country? ;)

Have fun with them this weekend, Danny, and get the woofers broken in real good, because if Rich is rolling in with Sabbath again. . .  :lol: