• Industry Contributor
Re: Check out what's going to RMAF.... more pics added
« Reply #80 on: 6 Oct 2013, 03:10 pm »
All right now, don't ya know it!  :thumb:

sandbagger

« Reply #81 on: 6 Oct 2013, 04:10 pm »
Isn't that a guarantee, I might even bring a few fun tracks too :o
Have fun with them this weekend, Danny, and get the woofers broken in real good, because if Rich is rolling in with Sabbath again. . .  :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #82 on: 8 Oct 2013, 05:59 am »
Last listen tonight before they get created up tomorrow.

These speakers are the most dynamic speakers I have ever heard. My big blue amps were driving the hell out of them and they were eating the power up like it was candy and asking for more. Effortless SPL levels that didn't sound that loud but really was if you know what I mean.

These speakers feel like they play from thin air. The layering of the sound stage is not in, around, on, or from the visual location of the speakers. It's kind of spooky.

A particular Chinese percussion track from Ear Candy was the most impressive I have ever heard it reproduced. The drums were in my room!

Now if I can just get all of this to the show... oh what a load. People are going to freak out on these.

Now a lot of create loading and getting them on the trailer.  :cry:

Captainhemo

« Reply #83 on: 8 Oct 2013, 06:17 am »
Hope yo uhave great success   at the show Danny.    Sounds like  everyone is in for a treat  :thumb:

How large of a room  have you got lined up for those to be "shown" in ?

-jay

bdp24

« Reply #84 on: 8 Oct 2013, 06:37 am »
Can't wait to see the pics! I hope Steve Guttenberg (the Hi-Fi SG, not the actor) brings some Vocal and Acoustic music to hear through your set-up, and then share his impression of.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #85 on: 8 Oct 2013, 01:57 pm »
Good luck with the loading, have a good trip, and see you at RMAF!

Danny Richie

« Reply #86 on: 8 Oct 2013, 01:59 pm »
Hope yo uhave great success   at the show Danny.    Sounds like  everyone is in for a treat  :thumb:

How large of a room  have you got lined up for those to be "shown" in ?

-jay

Our room is 26 by 19.  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #87 on: 9 Oct 2013, 02:20 am »
OK - which amp(s) got boxed/crated up?  :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #88 on: 9 Oct 2013, 04:47 am »
OK - which amp(s) got boxed/crated up?  :green:

Big Blues.

With the balanced power supply that goes with them and creating.... about 700 lbs.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #89 on: 9 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm »
YES!  WOOHOO! :)

SoCalWJS

« Reply #90 on: 9 Oct 2013, 01:12 pm »
Big Blues.

With the balanced power supply that goes with them and creating.... about 700 lbs.

:bowdown: :drool:

:weights:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #91 on: 9 Oct 2013, 02:31 pm »
WOW!

See ya in a few days  :thumb:

mojave

« Reply #92 on: 9 Oct 2013, 05:12 pm »
For those of us who don't have $39,0000 to spare, could those subs be made to work with LS9s or LS6s?
I use four Acoustic Elegance IB15 infinite baffle drivers per side and crossover at 51 Hz with my LS6's. None of my drivers look like they are moving at 110+ dB. The sound is incredible.

Since the LS-6 drivers are ported, if you don't use a crossover on them then the phase change in the lower bass will cause integration issues with subs. A higher crossover might even be needed, but I'm able to correct for phase and timing issues using active DSP.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #93 on: 9 Oct 2013, 05:49 pm »
I use four Acoustic Elegance IB15 infinite baffle drivers per side and crossover at 51 Hz with my LS6's. None of my drivers look like they are moving at 110+ dB. The sound is incredible.

Since the LS-6 drivers are ported, if you don't use a crossover on them then the phase change in the lower bass will cause integration issues with subs. A higher crossover might even be needed, but I'm able to correct for phase and timing issues using active DSP.
What are you using as a crossover/DSP?

Edit:

Looking back at this, it almost sounds rude  :oops: At the risk of derailing this thread (but assuming Danny is pretty busy and /or driving already)...

I'm trying to use the Servo section from my Super V's with my LS6s. I purchased some various FMODS (50 and 70 Hz) along with an in-line capacitor, but I haven't found the right combo yet, so I'm trying to find out any info on (relatively inexpensive) options out there. I'm guessing the input impedance of my amp is the issue.....

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120031.0

Would love to hear what anybody has to say
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2013, 08:58 pm by SoCalWJS »

Cheeseboy

« Reply #94 on: 9 Oct 2013, 08:36 pm »

Interesting.  Same as John.  Whoes Crossover/DSP? 

mojave

« Reply #95 on: 10 Oct 2013, 03:04 pm »
Interesting.  Same as John.  Whoes Crossover/DSP?
I use a computer for all playback with JRiver Media Center providing all the DSP. Matt Ashland from JRiver will be at RMAF and is on two panel discussions. Maybe he will stop the GR-Research room. 

DSD Downloads, The New High-Resolution Standard: A Major Update
Computer Audio and Beyond — The Ever Shifting Landscape of Hardware, Media, and Content Providers

SoCalWJS

« Reply #96 on: 11 Oct 2013, 02:30 pm »
Wow, no WOW is the word.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I arrived shortly before noon and met up with Danny and the other early arriving members of the gang and began moving things from the parking lot to the room.

It was tough for me to really put this stuff into scale until I saw it first hand.

There was definitely a need for multiple people getting these big Dodd amps out of their crates.

Eric's (db Audio) first prototype enclosure for his latest DAC showed up while we were getting things together

Getting the speakers into the Hotel, up to the second floor, and into the room, was a bit of a challenge, but eventually determination won out.

It wasn't until after getting some food on board (and about 11 PM) that everything got fired up for the first time. I left a bit later while Danny and Eric began the task of fine tuning everything - moving room treatments and speakers, swapping out cables, and other magic.

Let me just say this: based on what I heard last night........

IF I find anything that sounds better at RMAF, it would have to be be truly spectacular and among the very finest systems I've heard.

This setup is already sounding jaw dropping, and I know it will get better by the time the show begins.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #97 on: 11 Oct 2013, 03:31 pm »
Looking forward to hearing it this afternoon!

Captainhemo

« Reply #98 on: 11 Oct 2013, 04:25 pm »
Man,  you   guys are going to have a  great time... enjoy !!

Keep the updates comming as well,  it's fun to keep track of what's going on 

-jay

Skiman

« Reply #99 on: 12 Oct 2013, 12:35 am »
A few shots at RMAF on Friday

At my request, Danny played the song "Copenhagen' from the new Vienna Teng album. Since I have this, it was fascinating to compare how it sounds on these open back arrays with my recently upgraded LS9s at home. Well, as good as my 9s sound, these OB designs have a better layering, air, and overall presentation. Danny offered to take my LS9s in trade. Ohhh, the temptation.

Must resist, must resist.  :lol: