Check out what's going to RMAF.... more pics added

Danny Richie

Re: Check out what's going to RMAF....
« Reply #40 on: 28 Sep 2013, 03:59 am »
Passive crossovers, I assume, on the line arrays?  Electra connectors, premium caps, etc. - top shelf all the way, yes?

Yes.

Do the usual rules apply regarding room size/seating placement with a line array, considering these are also open baffle, or do the rules change?  Rough starting point for optimum room size and listening distance?

Yes.

Will you have the "ambiance" subs in the back of the room as in previous setups for folks to compare with and without?  I'm thinking that although the two driver sub setups in the Super V/7 could keep up with their upper sections, adding two more drivers adds a measure of "effortlessness" to the low end, even in a larger room.

I will bring some.

They are as much for taking the boom out of the back of the room as anything.

600lbs. . . :lol: I only asked because I remember show reports from back in the day when the LS6/9 made their debuts, and some folks critiqued that although the speakers sounded "good" with moderate power, considering the sensitivity of the speakers, they really came in to their own when given a little "more" to play with.  I just wouldn't want to see these speakers picked at by reviewers with any ". . . they could have been great, but. . ." kind of statements.  If not the Doddzillas, maybe a pair of 120s or something in that ballpark at least on standby?  Heck, if Gary still has them, how about those mini-fridge looking beasts he built a while back?  You don't have to pick up the check for the power bill at the show, right? ;)

No worries. They'll have power.

Skiman

« Reply #41 on: 28 Sep 2013, 04:45 am »

600lbs. . . :lol: I only asked because I remember show reports from back in the day when the LS6/9 made their debuts, and some folks critiqued that although the speakers sounded "good" with moderate power, considering the sensitivity of the speakers, they really came in to their own when given a little "more" to play with.  I just wouldn't want to see these speakers picked at by reviewers with any ". . . they could have been great, but. . ." kind of statements.

When the LS9s made their debut at RMAF in 2007, they were in the Red Rock Audio room. Danny's room that year had the LS6s powered by the Doddzillas.

Danny Richie

« Reply #42 on: 28 Sep 2013, 03:24 pm »
When the LS9s made their debut at RMAF in 2007, they were in the Red Rock Audio room. Danny's room that year had the LS6s powered by the Doddzillas.

Yep, and then the following year I brought the Doddzillas to power LS-9's in a huge room over at the Hilton across the street.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #43 on: 28 Sep 2013, 05:48 pm »
Yep, and then the following year I brought the Doddzillas to power LS-9's in a huge room over at the Hilton across the street.
I listened to that setup for an entire day that year.  The LS-9's and the Doddzilla amps sounded great in that room!

This is going to be fun!

Captainhemo

« Reply #44 on: 28 Sep 2013, 10:37 pm »
When you design a line source like this you really have to watch the sensitivities of the woofers. The woofers actually need a low sensitivity, so that after all the grouping of parallel drivers and the coupling effect that they have, they won't have higher sensitivity than the tweeters.

This may be a dumb ?  but I'll ask it anyway...
 Is there no  coupling effect  from the line of  tweeters as well ?  Is this  due to the different  frequency ( wavelenght) ,  the long narrow shape of the line of tweeters, a combination of both ? 

-jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 29 Sep 2013, 12:48 am »
This may be a dumb ?  but I'll ask it anyway...
 Is there no  coupling effect  from the line of  tweeters as well ?  Is this  due to the different  frequency ( wavelenght) ,  the long narrow shape of the line of tweeters, a combination of both ? 

-jay

As frequency decreases the output of the tweeters couple. As frequency increases they couple less. There is beaming going on and some comb filtering effects from tweeter at the ends compared to tweeters in the middle.

So by the time you hit 20kHz you have about the same output as a single tweeter.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #46 on: 29 Sep 2013, 01:48 am »
Maybe I'll snap some sub tower pics tomorrow....

Pics?

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #47 on: 29 Sep 2013, 04:00 am »
Danny, would you mind elaborating on the second "yes"?  Should we assume similar setup conditions to the comparable LS9, then?

Sorry if it got mixed in there, but do you have a sensitivity number?

Last, now that we've got some info on the speakers, please (or Gary, if you're out there listening in), some more info about the NEW Dodd pre? :)  Thought you could slide that one in there without anyone noticing, eh? ;)

Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 29 Sep 2013, 07:02 pm »
Danny, would you mind elaborating on the second "yes"?  Should we assume similar setup conditions to the comparable LS9, then?

I am sorry. I read your question wrong. I meant yes, the same rules apply.

Sorry if it got mixed in there, but do you have a sensitivity number?

91db at 1 watt/1 meter.

Last, now that we've got some info on the speakers, please (or Gary, if you're out there listening in), some more info about the NEW Dodd pre? :)  Thought you could slide that one in there without anyone noticing, eh? ;)

He added something new. So think of it as a change or an upgrade that can be added to any of his pre-amps.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #49 on: 30 Sep 2013, 05:11 pm »
And the more expensive stuff is fun too.
  Oh yeah, gotta be a designer's dream:  choose design, parts and size without cost constraints.  Good for you that you have some of those type clients. :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 30 Sep 2013, 05:16 pm »
That's Hank.

jparkhur

« Reply #51 on: 30 Sep 2013, 07:52 pm »
sub pictures please...

jparkhur

« Reply #52 on: 2 Oct 2013, 05:30 pm »
subwoofer tower pictures?

JP

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 2 Oct 2013, 05:53 pm »
I'm getting to it...

SoCalWJS

« Reply #54 on: 5 Oct 2013, 02:32 am »
Tick....tick....tick....tick....

Getting down to crunch time. Good luck Danny!  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #55 on: 5 Oct 2013, 02:58 am »
Okay here are a few pics of one of the sub towers before it got lined with No Rez.

They also have grills for the front and the back.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #56 on: 5 Oct 2013, 03:02 am »
Okay here are a few pics of one of the sub towers before it got lined with No Rez.

They also have grills for the front and the back.
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Those should be capable of some serious SPL!

Any numbers yet? (especially weight  :weights:)

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #57 on: 5 Oct 2013, 03:09 am »
If those can survive the dreaded WAF, they will be KILLER!

Danny Richie

« Reply #58 on: 5 Oct 2013, 03:10 am »
I have been playing the main towers for several days. The imaging is incredible. Smooth and effortless just as one would expect.

I added in the pair of subs yesterday and dialed them in a little. The dial (crossover control knob) was actually set at about 50Hz on the sub and the blend between the two was... no real "blend" at all. It was like there were no speakers present. With eyes closed the sound stage went deep, really wide, and very layered. And it is amazing how much variance there is in sound stage height within a single track of music.  And oh boy, the bass response from this combo... :dance:  It is just amazing how much the foundation laid by the subs enhances the imaging and entire sound field.

I'll try yo get a group pic or two by the end of the day tomorrow.

Captainhemo

« Reply #59 on: 5 Oct 2013, 03:54 am »
Man, that whole combo is just too cool

:bowdown:   :drums: :bowdown:

-jay