A special Aurora for a special customer

dpatters

Re: A special Aurora for a special customer
« Reply #40 on: 17 Jun 2015, 11:57 am »
Wow Fred!! Can't wait to hear your impressions.  If you ever make it near Central PA you have a standing invitation
to hear the Joule Blacks.

Best - Don P.

mav52

« Reply #41 on: 17 Jun 2015, 12:38 pm »
Very nice congrats. 

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #42 on: 17 Jun 2015, 02:10 pm »
Congrats Fred! It's cool to see how far Ryan and Pete can take the design via upgrades. Can't wait to hear your feedback on this pair!

Todd

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #43 on: 17 Jun 2015, 02:24 pm »
Better than a Cirrus, you've gotta be sh*tting me!  My little Cirrus are still the most refined and versatile thing I have ever heard.  I would love to hear these.

Factorz

« Reply #44 on: 17 Jun 2015, 02:44 pm »
Yes us Cirrus owners are going to get jealous!

toddc2

« Reply #45 on: 17 Jun 2015, 02:48 pm »
Yes us Cirrus owners are going to get jealous!

Maybe it's time that Ryan put together an Uber-Cirrus!

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #46 on: 17 Jun 2015, 03:11 pm »
Maybe it's time that Ryan put together an Uber-Cirrus!

It's in the works.  It will use the big RAAL and the new 7" with the LR motor.  Still, it won't begin to compete with what that monster 8" Audio Technology woofer can do.  All that extra cone area is what really makes the difference between Cirrus and Aurora.  While Cirrus still has the edge for more "normal" listening levels thanks to the RAAL, it just can't match the room pressurizing performance of the Uber Aurora. 

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #47 on: 17 Jun 2015, 03:14 pm »
Unfortunately, $591/each woofers change the price bracket somewhat.

So what?  In this case, you definitely get what you pay for!!!   :thumb:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #48 on: 17 Jun 2015, 03:26 pm »
It's in the works.  It will use the big RAAL and the new 7" with the LR motor.  Still, it won't begin to compete with what that monster 8" Audio Technology woofer can do.  All that extra cone area is what really makes the difference between Cirrus and Aurora.  While Cirrus still has the edge for more "normal" listening levels thanks to the RAAL, it just can't match the room pressurizing performance of the Uber Aurora.

Hey Pete, Todd is the guy getting the new Cirrus ;)

dpatters

« Reply #49 on: 17 Jun 2015, 03:54 pm »
Hey Pete, Todd is the guy getting the new Cirrus ;)
I guess the cat is out of the bag now! :thumb:

Don P.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #50 on: 17 Jun 2015, 03:58 pm »
I guess the cat is out of the bag now! :thumb:

Don P.

Haha, yeah it seems to work that way.  I plan on keeping my mouth shut, then making a splash with a glitzy announcement every time, but somehow it always gets leaked out too early. 

New Cirrus will have a new AudioTech woofer with a completely new motor design, more sensitivity, more impact, better midrange.  And it will have the best RAAL tweeter, the 140-15D as found in the Joule and Perfect Storm. 

The Cirrus was my first design, and hasn't changed at all in 7 years, but that's what happens when you nail it the first time!  We're excited to introduce some changes, but it will be a challenge to deliver the same level of 'magic' the Cirrus currently has.

toddc2

« Reply #51 on: 17 Jun 2015, 04:06 pm »
Haha, yeah it seems to work that way.  I plan on keeping my mouth shut, then making a splash with a glitzy announcement every time, but somehow it always gets leaked out too early. 

:oops: :oops: :oops:Sorry Pete, I was just trying to drum up a little excitement. BTW, I'll be using these with a stereo pair of REL sub-woofers so no worries on pressurizing my relatively small listening room.

dpatters

« Reply #52 on: 17 Jun 2015, 04:57 pm »
:oops: :oops: :oops:Sorry Pete, I was just trying to drum up a little excitement. BTW, I'll be using these with a stereo pair of REL sub-woofers so no worries on pressurizing my relatively small listening room.
That should be a great combination once you get those subs dialed in!!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #53 on: 17 Jun 2015, 05:11 pm »

I'll be talking with you in the next day or two to finalize veneer/finishing options, the cabinets are fully prepped and ready for veneer.  I've been taking pictures along the way, and will show the progression so people have a better understanding of just how much more intensive our cabinet work is. 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #54 on: 17 Jun 2015, 05:11 pm »

How's your setup treating you?  Anything new?

toddc2

« Reply #55 on: 17 Jun 2015, 05:17 pm »

I use Amarra Symphony for my digital playback. It has Dirac room correction and the subs integrate beautifully in that playback mode. The analog chain isn't quite as tight...

toddc2

« Reply #56 on: 17 Jun 2015, 05:21 pm »
How's your setup treating you?  Anything new?

Just some NOS Telefunken's and Amperex Bugle Boys to play with in my Zesto Phono. I put my highly modified Sonic Frontiers Power 1 on the market but no interest yet (I'm wanting to try solid state).

Todd

dex67

« Reply #57 on: 17 Jun 2015, 05:54 pm »
Todd, try Aaron Millenium amp for solid state....I have one driving the Nimbus at ear-bleeding levels and, imho, it sounds more musical than the Wells Audio Innamorata..

Now I kinda feel bad that I didn't wait to get a pair of Auroras...there is something about the look of those beautiful Aurora...:)

GentleBender

« Reply #58 on: 17 Jun 2015, 06:56 pm »
I love my "old school" Auroras! They may not have the new drivers and cross overs to make them Über, but they sound Über excellent to me.  :thumb: If I ever feel the need to push more air around the room I will look into having them upgraded. Chances are in my 12'x13' room that will never be required. Enjoy those bad boys!

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #59 on: 17 Jun 2015, 08:03 pm »
I love my "old school" Auroras! They may not have the new drivers and cross overs to make them Über, but they sound Über excellent to me.  :thumb: If I ever feel the need to push more air around the room I will look into having them upgraded. Chances are in my 12'x13' room that will never be required. Enjoy those bad boys!

When we debuted your particular incarnation at a small Chicago event, they stole the show.  They throw a huge sound stage and perform like they think they're big floor standers.  Believe me, I'd be happy with that pair too!

If you were to line the two up next to each other and take measurements, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference on paper.  Both exhibit exceedingly smooth and flat response, on and off axis.  Both cover the musical spectrum from below 40Hz to 20KHz within a very narrow window.  It's only when you get into the more subtle detail that the differences become more noticeable.  Uber offers more low end peak SPL before things get a little sloppy and the refinement in the mids and tweeter range is a little more apparent at most any listening level.  It took going "uber" to beat what you have, and that wasn't easy!!!   :green: