A special Aurora for a special customer

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
Re: A special Aurora for a special customer
« Reply #100 on: 7 Sep 2015, 12:15 am »
Thanks for letting us know Fred. I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these uber cool speakers, enjoy!

Gopher

« Reply #101 on: 7 Sep 2015, 12:25 am »
They're really sounding great at the moment.  I've got a little make shift rig for them in a 11x15 space in my basement, with some pretty solid components.  LampizatOr Golden Gate, Redgum RGi120ENR, Aurender N100H, Verastarr cabling and an Uberbus...  not too shabby   :thumb:

Their eventual home for them will probably be my living room which is much bigger and will let them breath.  Until then they're 'protected' down here from exploring little fingers--Ed is whipping up some custom grills to remedy that.

These speakers have a lot of balls and slam factor, but not at the expense of intimacy and holography of vocals.  I think they're keepers!

GentleBender

« Reply #102 on: 7 Sep 2015, 12:01 pm »
Glad you got your Uber Auroras. Unfortunate the barbarians damaged one the first time. Mine were shipped in four monster crates and filled with foam and padding to protect them, makes you wonder what is done to them on the way home. Probably would make a good audiophile horror movie.

:o  :cuss: :no_see: :bawl: :sad:

I've got my Auroras in a small 12' x 13' room and the energy and sound from them is stupid awesome.

Folsom

« Reply #103 on: 7 Sep 2015, 05:12 pm »

Pictures don't really do these things justice due to how reflective the finish is, but these things are stunning in person, in fact my cleaning lady freaked out when she saw them last Friday and wanted to know how expensive something like that would be as she wanted a pair!

Fred

Did she ask for a raise?

EdRo

« Reply #104 on: 7 Sep 2015, 05:54 pm »
Hey Fred. I'll clean your house for a Golden Gate!!! :lol:

rascal

« Reply #105 on: 7 Sep 2015, 07:45 pm »
Great- a plus for Vapor here  :thumb:

Good ending to this thread!

The speakers shipped to me.months ago, but UPS saw fit to do a nasty number on one of them.  It was a bummer for sure and I know Ryan, Pete and Ed worked hard on them and it wasn't their fault. 

UPS took 100% fault and paid the claim.  Pain in the ass, sure but let's not crap on Vapor over it.

Gopher

« Reply #106 on: 7 Sep 2015, 10:21 pm »
You gonna wear the full French Maid attire, Ed?   :lol:

I've been texting back and forth with Ryan for the last hour or so applying some tweaks on the fly and am dialing these things in nicely.  The sound these things put out is truly full range and very much reminiscent of the bigger Vapors I've spent time with.

I think the balanced Lampizator 211 amps are going to drive these things perfectly.

mav52

« Reply #107 on: 7 Sep 2015, 10:29 pm »

I've got my Auroras in a small 12' x 13' room and the energy and sound from them is stupid awesome.

Wow, I have the Breeze in a little 11x10x10 office and they are plenty.  I can only imagine the Auroras in  there..

EdRo

« Reply #108 on: 8 Sep 2015, 12:39 am »
A fat Viking in a French maid's outfit? Is that all I have to do? Either you don't realize how much I loved that GG, or you have a very strong stomach. Or both?
     Seriously, I am SOOO GLAD you like your Auroras! With your exposure to some of the greatest speakers out there, you picked the Auroras. I am honored, and I appreciate any thoughts on their performance. Thanks Fred. You really do rock!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #109 on: 8 Sep 2015, 02:42 am »
You gonna wear the full French Maid attire, Ed?   :lol:

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little ...

I've been texting back and forth with Ryan for the last hour or so applying some tweaks on the fly and am dialing these things in nicely.  The sound these things put out is truly full range and very much reminiscent of the bigger Vapors I've spent time with.

The Aurora is more difficult to dial into the best room position, but once there they will make the room sound much larger than it is.  Try some off axis listening, you'll be amazed how far left/right you can go and still have a real center image. 

I think the balanced Lampizator 211 amps are going to drive these things perfectly.

You said in text that they want power.  I think they're deceptive in that regard, they play with little power as well as what you're probably used to, but respond to more power MUCH better.  They can play really, really loud without strain. 

Enjoy, and keep the impressions coming!

Gopher

« Reply #110 on: 10 Sep 2015, 01:38 am »
Absolutely, man.  I plan to keep some opinions going, but I'm in the midst of a complex trial this week in a non-local court which has been murdering my free time. 

I did peek my head downstairs briefly this evening after getting home at 9pm, and immediately noticed the the heft and slam of these speakers as well as the vocal presence...  I'm quite happy thus far!

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #111 on: 14 Sep 2015, 09:26 am »
Lampizator dealer who spends considerable amount of time hearing different speakers chose Vapor speakers. This shows me alot more than 1,000 people who are newbs saying certain speakers are great. - for me personally atleast.

Just had a quick question. - I just picked up a SET tube amp with 10 WPC. What is highest efficient speakers in your line up around 2k? I was thinking about Klipsch until I saw this thread. Then also noticed RAAL would make good pairing with a tube amp. It's a 10 x 10 room - Would it fill room?

roscoeiii

« Reply #112 on: 14 Sep 2015, 04:00 pm »
Lampizator dealer who spends considerable amount of time hearing different speakers chose Vapor speakers. This shows me alot more than 1,000 people who are newbs saying certain speakers are great. - for me personally atleast.

Just had a quick question. - I just picked up a SET tube amp with 10 WPC. What is highest efficient speakers in your line up around 2k? I was thinking about Klipsch until I saw this thread. Then also noticed RAAL would make good pairing with a tube amp. It's a 10 x 10 room - Would it fill room?

My advice?  Find a speaker you live first,  then find an amp to pair with it. Speakers will make the biggest difference in your system.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #113 on: 14 Sep 2015, 10:36 pm »

10W is a bit low on the power spectrum, but if you're not into listening at 100dB SPL, all of our speakers will work that that amp.  That said, the only speaker we offer for less than $2K/pr is our Breeze model, and it's also our lowest sensitivity speaker at around 85dB/W.  Stiff Breeze will get you about 88dB/W thanks to the extra woofer in each speaker, but now you're over the $2K threshold.

Breeze will easily fill a 10x10 room and I would think that 10W x 2 would be plenty for most listening requirements.

Folsom

« Reply #114 on: 15 Sep 2015, 12:35 am »
10W is a bit low on the power spectrum, but if you're not into listening at 100dB SPL, all of our speakers will work that that amp.  That said, the only speaker we offer for less than $2K/pr is our Breeze model, and it's also our lowest sensitivity speaker at around 85dB/W.  Stiff Breeze will get you about 88dB/W thanks to the extra woofer in each speaker, but now you're over the $2K threshold.

Breeze will easily fill a 10x10 room and I would think that 10W x 2 would be plenty for most listening requirements.

I can't speak for 10w, but 15w on 87db speakers is enough in a smaller room. Not ideal, but a real good amp will be much more thrilling than an ok amp with lots of power.

Gopher

« Reply #115 on: 18 Sep 2015, 03:00 pm »
Just wanted to update this thread that things are coming along really nicely.  The speakers are presently in a basement media room and I've had the luxury of being able to burn them in 24/7 since they arrived.  I haven't played with positioning as much as I should have, in part because they will be heading to the reference room shortly, once I have the time and a buddy to help me slide very heavy ref speaks out so these can play in the purpose built room for a while.

These speakers have been quite nice so far with some of the things they do best being bass, macrodynamics, image solidity and holography (dense, 3D images).  As Pete and Ryan commented, while they are fairly efficient, they do like some power and I've been feeding them with a Redgum RGi120ENR quite nicely.    In the near future they will be paired to a balanced LampizatOr Golden Gate and balanced  LampizatOr 211 amplifiers for what I expect to be a match made in heaven.

Thanks again, Ryan, Pete and Ed for these beauties and for dealing with the setbacks beyond all of our control.

:thumb:

EdRo

« Reply #116 on: 18 Sep 2015, 03:07 pm »
I am so happy that they are working for you amigo. See you in a few weeks at RMAF!!!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #117 on: 19 Sep 2015, 01:33 am »

What does it mean then when BOTH of the US LampizatOr reps order speakers from us?   :thumb:

monte

« Reply #118 on: 19 Sep 2015, 02:06 am »
It means you're doing something right. I wish I could make it to rmaf. Does the Uber reach down lower than the originals? These are definitely a one of a kind speaker.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #119 on: 19 Sep 2015, 02:50 am »
It means you're doing something right. I wish I could make it to rmaf. Does the Uber reach down lower than the originals? These are definitely a one of a kind speaker.

Extension is about the same as the 'regular' Aurora, flat to 32-34hz.  But the Uber with the AudioTech Flex Unit do so with much more authority, with more tonal density.