A strange group of trick or treaters..... :o

Happy Halloween.... :hyper:

SET Man

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #681 on: 31 Oct 2008, 11:18 pm »
A strange group of trick or treaters..... :o

Happy Halloween.... :hyper:

Hey!

Well, if this group knock on your door. Make sure you don't give them any chocolate. :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

WerTicus

« Reply #682 on: 1 Nov 2008, 08:57 am »

pentax k20d  24mm prime 400iso

nathanm

« Reply #683 on: 2 Nov 2008, 02:41 am »
The 65mm lens is really a tough, but fun one to use.  If I keep the camera at standing height and point it at a scene it's pretty dull.  It almost calls out for something more exaggerated.  So I pretty much set the camera right on top of whatever object I want in the foreground.  The foreground stuff looks like you are looking down on things and then it fades into a "normal" perspective. The field of view is so wide if tilt down just a bit the tripod legs will show up.  That pock-marked rock in the middle is only about 18" from the base of the tripod!  I've always loved wide angles, but these large format primes have cured me of my fisheye fascination.

Edit: Updated version.  Different contrast, sharper etc.
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2008, 05:55 am by nathanm »

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #684 on: 2 Nov 2008, 04:18 am »
BEAUTIFUL!!!  That tears it.  I will dust off my 4x5 system before winter sets in.  Widest I have is a 75.

nathanm

« Reply #685 on: 5 Nov 2008, 05:14 am »
Thanks thunderbrick!  I made a print of that one yesterday and although it is not my best photo, it is one of the sweetest prints I've ever made.  Super sharp with loads of detail.  I'm pretty stoked.  And on the cheapest paper I've come across no less!  Nice.

Today's shot, new park this time.  (90mm) Nice little place.  The woods is somewhat Fangorn-esque with lots of toppled trees and mosses.  I will probably go back tomorrow.  Luckily there were SOME lousy clouds in the sky today.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #686 on: 5 Nov 2008, 05:23 am »
Friggin' AMAZING!  Do you scan your negs or print direct? Tell me more about what you do and how you do it.   I am excited that my all-digital students want to see a real darkroom in operation.  The bad news is that now I'll have to clean it.

I am also impressed by your comments on the use of the apostrophe in regards to plural.  That drives me nuts when I see it on professional signs, and I thought I was the only one.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #687 on: 5 Nov 2008, 05:33 am »
(OT) My wife and I discussed opening a coffee shop called Apostrophe's and throwing apostrophes everywhere possible in the menu. I think Nathan would enjoy it if it ever happens.

It drives both of us nuts, too.

Zero

« Reply #688 on: 5 Nov 2008, 05:47 am »
Hooray for point and shoot cameras.

nathanm

« Reply #689 on: 5 Nov 2008, 05:52 am »
I develop the negs using BTZS tubes (and various tanks\trays)  then I scan them with an Epson V750 Pro scanner.  After hours of Photoshop work the prints are made on an Epson 7880 inkjet.  (Not that I print everything I shoot of course)  I tried silver printing for a while, but it's not my thing.  I don't have the patience and it makes no sense given my Photoshop experience.  The analog capture\digital output is a perfect combination and gives me the "old" look without too much headache.  Lately I've been using TMAX 100 with Ilford ID-11 developer.  I also like the Efke films (cheap!) Epson has an "Automatic Black & White" mode in their print driver which makes excellent results.  There's all kinds of RIPs and 3rd party inksets and whatnot, but this works fine too. 

Thank's! :wink: I would recommend the book called "Eats, Shoots And Leaves" by Lynne Truss if you are into punctuation geekery.  Well actually, NON-punctuation people should really read it. :)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #690 on: 5 Nov 2008, 05:55 am »
Did you ever try pin hole photography, Nathan? I think that would appeal to me enough to try it if I ever had the ability to develop my own film.

nathanm

« Reply #691 on: 5 Nov 2008, 08:33 am »
Yeah I have, but never with a decent pinhole.  I've made some crude ones with eletrical tape or foil.  I made a crap one with a pencil jammed into a bit of electrical tape on a spare lens board.  I do like how you can get really super wide with pinholes.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2008, 10:22 pm by nathanm »

brj

« Reply #692 on: 5 Nov 2008, 11:30 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
Today's shot, new park this time.  (90mm) Nice little place.  The woods is somewhat Fangorn-esque with lots of toppled trees and mosses.  I will probably go back tomorrow.  Luckily there were SOME lousy clouds in the sky today.

Nice shot, Nathan!  Which park was it?

nathanm

« Reply #693 on: 6 Nov 2008, 02:49 am »
The stunning "Cedarburg Bog", considered by many as the ''Yosemite'' of Southeastern Wisconsin.

brj

« Reply #694 on: 6 Nov 2008, 03:01 am »
Nice!  I seem to recall a middle school or high school field trip there for some science class at one point...

nathanm

« Reply #695 on: 6 Nov 2008, 09:25 am »
That's cool.  I found some interesting creatures there myself! :wink:

BradJudy

« Reply #696 on: 10 Nov 2008, 02:22 pm »
One of my recent B&W film shots and a pimp for my Prague pictures thread (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61433.0:)

The doors to St Vitus Cathedral, Prague Castle, Prague, Czech Republic:

Andrikos

« Reply #697 on: 10 Nov 2008, 04:16 pm »

Thank's! :wink: I would recommend the book called "Eats, Shoots And Leaves" by Lynne Truss if you are into punctuation geekery.  Well actually, NON-punctuation people should really read it. :)

What'choo talkin' ab'out Willy's? ;)

Awesome pics as always...

nathanm

« Reply #698 on: 10 Nov 2008, 10:17 pm »
Hey cool, I'm listening to St. Vitus right now! :)  I never knew if there was a real Saint with the name or not.  I suppose I could look that up if I really tried…  Did you do the dance while you were there?

BradJudy

« Reply #699 on: 11 Nov 2008, 12:28 am »
And I didn't know there was a band named St Vitus.  :) 

I didn't do any dance in the cathedral and there definitely wasn't any Black Sabbath playing.  Although, I was there on the Sabbath, so I think that's as close as it gets.