Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server

Rob50

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server
« Reply #240 on: 1 May 2014, 10:18 pm »
If the upsampled 2.8mHz DSD  (offline via JRiver or Audiogate, for example) files are now 5.6mHz DSF or 5.6mHz DFF files then sure, of course.  Might be interesting to hear them via the Sony vs sending the original 2.8mHZ files and having the Sony internally upconvert them to 5.6mHZ anyway.  Same with converted PCM to 5.6mHz DSD (with and without DSD mastering on).  Those are a few of the things I'll do now that I have the Modwright modded unit for a few days (before I have to get it to Randy aka RKlein, the new owner), and more in depth when I get Vinnie's RWA modded unit.

Stupid question....but if you can play converted DSD files, then what's the point of DSD Re-mastering ? Is a converted DSD file, that much different to a re-mastered one, regards playback on this player ??

Gzerro

« Reply #241 on: 1 May 2014, 11:39 pm »
I overcame some initial objections and decided to give this a try. Just got my unit in a few days ago and everything seems working properly. No issues with setup or getting music loaded.

I am trying to avoid making any judgements right away, but so far no massive change from my Oppo 93. The unit sounds very nice. My selection of Hi-Rez files is limited so mostly just playing files burned from CD.

My main question is whether anyone else is bothered by the noise the unit makes? It is clearly audible during silences between tracks. I don't really notice it from my listening position much, but if I listen for it the noise is audible (about 12 ft away). The unit is in a well ventilated rack and isn't getting particularly warm.

Is this normal, or perhaps I have a defective unit?

steve in jersey

« Reply #242 on: 1 May 2014, 11:40 pm »
There is a vast misunderstanding that the DSD Remastering engine is only only "upsampling" files that are
already DSD to begin with. If that were the case it would have been named the DSD Upsampling engine. I think a lot of this confusion stems from the un-precise wording used in the user guide.

The DSD Remastering is taking all the files (be they DSD or PCM) & converting them to 2x "Upsampled DSD"
("On the fly") before playing them. Depending on the recording techniques & quality of the original recording this "re-arraigning" of the files "digital structures" may bring some elements forward & some back.

From what I've been able to read the only other way to convert "PCM to DSD" appears to be in J River Media Center 19.

Steven Stone

« Reply #243 on: 2 May 2014, 12:31 am »
What kind of noise does your unit make? Mine is silent and has been since day one...

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #244 on: 2 May 2014, 12:50 am »
There is a vast misunderstanding that the DSD Remastering engine is only only "upsampling" files that are
already DSD to begin with. If that were the case it would have been named the DSD Upsampling engine. I think a lot of this confusion stems from the un-precise wording used in the user guide.

The DSD Remastering is taking all the files (be they DSD or PCM) & converting them to 2x "Upsampled DSD"
("On the fly") before playing them. Depending on the recording techniques & quality of the original recording this "re-arraigning" of the files "digital structures" may bring some elements forward & some back.

From what I've been able to read the only other way to convert "PCM to DSD" appears to be in J River Media Center 19.

Steve,
No one said DSD Remastering is only for DSD material.  It's pretty clear in the Sony manual that DSD Remastering works on PCM.  And there are several ways to do PCM to DSD (HQplayer, JRiver, Audiogate and DSD Master aka BitPerfect to name four).

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #245 on: 2 May 2014, 12:52 am »
Stupid question....but if you can play converted DSD files, then what's the point of DSD Re-mastering ? Is a converted DSD file, that much different to a re-mastered one, regards playback on this player ??

I was simply answering a very specific question about JRiver having already converted the guys' files.  There is little difference in DSD Remastering (frankly) and doing it in JRiver.  Both take good care of the conversion, and mange the PCm brick filteriing (and DSD noise shaping) as well as a conversion can.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #246 on: 2 May 2014, 01:07 am »
I overcame some initial objections and decided to give this a try. Just got my unit in a few days ago and everything seems working properly. No issues with setup or getting music loaded.

I am trying to avoid making any judgements right away, but so far no massive change from my Oppo 93. The unit sounds very nice. My selection of Hi-Rez files is limited so mostly just playing files burned from CD.

My main question is whether anyone else is bothered by the noise the unit makes? It is clearly audible during silences between tracks. I don't really notice it from my listening position much, but if I listen for it the noise is audible (about 12 ft away). The unit is in a well ventilated rack and isn't getting particularly warm.

Hi Gzerro,

It should be silent.  It sounds like something is defective.  If it is a buzzing, it could be a loose power transformer.  Otherwise, it could be the hard drive. 

This could have been the result of it being dropped hard in shipping.  :cry:

Vinnie

peterlim8

« Reply #247 on: 2 May 2014, 01:18 am »
perhaps I have a defective unit?

Probably!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #248 on: 2 May 2014, 02:01 am »

Sorry I didn't read this carefully the first time --- If it is just noise between tracks that sounds like a relay click, then this is NORMAL.  The mute relay on the output is used to mute the output when you switch between tracks of different sampling frequency (so you don't get a brief pop or static noise when the unit changes clock frequencies).  Some players use transistors to mute the outputs, they are not sonically as invisible as a relay that is a mechanical on/off switch.

Vinnie

Gzerro

« Reply #249 on: 2 May 2014, 05:47 am »
Sorry I didn't read this carefully the first time --- If it is just noise between tracks that sounds like a relay click, then this is NORMAL.  The mute relay on the output is used to mute the output when you switch between tracks of different sampling frequency (so you don't get a brief pop or static noise when the unit changes clock frequencies).  Some players use transistors to mute the outputs, they are not sonically as invisible as a relay that is a mechanical on/off switch.

Vinnie

It is a constant low level whirring noise, not a click. I just hear it between songs because it isn't so loud as to still be noticeable while music is playing. I will give Sony a call and see what they say.

Thanks for the input.

Tom

Rob50

« Reply #250 on: 2 May 2014, 10:19 am »
I was simply answering a very specific question about JRiver having already converted the guys' files.  There is little difference in DSD Remastering (frankly) and doing it in JRiver.  Both take good care of the conversion, and mange the PCm brick filteriing (and DSD noise shaping) as well as a conversion can.

Sorry, I wasn't being critical of your reply. I'm trying to understand the benefit of paying £2.000 for DSD Remastering, when you can convert files to DSD, using jriver ?? ( like you suggest. )

Stercom

« Reply #251 on: 2 May 2014, 10:42 am »
It is a constant low level whirring noise, not a click. I just hear it between songs because it isn't so loud as to still be noticeable while music is playing. I will give Sony a call and see what they say.

Thanks for the input.

Tom

Its probably the hard drive spinning. My HAP-Z1ES is silent but the Olive music server I previously had a "low level whirring noise" which was the hard drive. Let us know how Sony's warranty service is because one of the reasons I originally bought this server is the 5 year warranty. Thanks.

mav52

« Reply #252 on: 2 May 2014, 02:05 pm »
Its probably the hard drive spinning. My HAP-Z1ES is silent but the Olive music server I previously had a "low level whirring noise" which was the hard drive. Let us know how Sony's warranty service is because one of the reasons I originally bought this server is the 5 year warranty. Thanks.

Question on the "hard drives" if a non Sony center replaces a hard drive I guess their goes your 5 years warranty unless there is some magic in the format of the hard drive that Sony must do for the device to function as designed . 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #253 on: 2 May 2014, 03:09 pm »
Let us know how Sony's warranty service is because one of the reasons I originally bought this server is the 5 year warranty. Thanks.
Nice warranty.  Too bad all of those modded units are not under warranty anymore.   :o

Gzerro

« Reply #254 on: 2 May 2014, 03:21 pm »

That is what I suspect as well. I will let you know what Sony says.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #255 on: 2 May 2014, 03:58 pm »
Nice warranty.  Too bad all of those modded units are not under warranty anymore.   :o

RWA customers need not to worry - you know I'll take care of you and probably faster than Sony will.  :thumb:

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #256 on: 2 May 2014, 08:22 pm »
RWA customers need not to worry - you know I'll take care of you and probably faster than Sony will.  :thumb:

I would have no doubt that Vinnie and also Dan Wright would not leave their customers in the lurch with these units in regards to any type of warranty work.  That is why I am an early adopter of this modded unit.  In my case, I decided to take Dan up on his great offer on his demo unit from Axpona.  I just heard it for the first time at Ted_b's (who brought it back for me from Chicago) and for a unit that has not even broken in yet, overall, I am very pleased.  We first listened with the stock Sovtek 6922 driver tubes and then we through in two Amparex ECC88 Bugle Boys and everything went up another notch. :thumb:

Regards,

Randy

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #257 on: 2 May 2014, 08:43 pm »
I would have no doubt that Vinnie and also Dan Wright would not leave their customers in the lurch with these units in regards to any type of warranty work.  That is why I am an early adopter of this modded unit.  In my case, I decided to take Dan up on his great offer on his demo unit from Axpona.  I just heard it for the first time at Ted_b's (who brought it back for me from Chicago) and for a unit that has not even broken in yet, overall, I am very pleased.  We first listened with the stock Sovtek 6922 driver tubes and then we through in two Amparex ECC88 Bugle Boys and everything went up another notch. :thumb:

Regards,

Randy

And I also updated the power supply from a stock 5AR4 to a Mullard metal base.  This thing is breaking in very nicely.  :) 

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #258 on: 2 May 2014, 08:57 pm »
And I also updated the power supply from a stock 5AR4 to a Mullard metal base.  This thing is breaking in very nicely.  :) 

Oh Yeah...I forgot about the Mullard 5AR4 you inserted in the Power Supply!   :duh:

Ted has heard the "break in" whereas I just heard it today after it being on for the last three days.

Randy

smargo

« Reply #259 on: 5 May 2014, 01:42 pm »