BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #180 on: 15 Aug 2012, 02:34 pm »
Thanks for your response, James. I definitely understand that this would increase the price, but, at least to me, this is a highly desirable option. It would be cool if this could at least be available as an additional option for those who want it.

Hi,

We can do it now as a special order I am told.

james

Marius

« Reply #181 on: 15 Aug 2012, 02:38 pm »
Any second thoughts about adding the  Tape-Pass-through too James? Would be great.

Marius

Hi,

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #182 on: 15 Aug 2012, 02:54 pm »
Any second thoughts about adding the  Tape-Pass-through too James? Would be great.

Marius

Hi Marius,

That would have to be a completely different circuit board so not in the cards at the moment.

james

Marius

« Reply #183 on: 15 Aug 2012, 03:06 pm »
bummer. :cry:

could you please explain a bit more what the balanced outs in the BHA would put out? How would this work: source:BHA:poweramp? How would we get all analog sources into the BHA then? Or would this be a complete replacement for the BP26?

Maybe I should formulate it the other way round: how would I get all my sources that pass through the bp26 into the 10bsub/28b's,  into the BHA, without interfering my current setup?

Thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius,

That would have to be a completely different circuit board so not in the cards at the moment.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #184 on: 15 Aug 2012, 03:29 pm »
bummer. :cry:

could you please explain a bit more what the balanced outs in the BHA would put out? How would this work: source:BHA:poweramp? How would we get all analog sources into the BHA then? Or would this be a complete replacement for the BP26?

Maybe I should formulate it the other way round: how would I get all my sources that pass through the bp26 into the 10bsub/28b's,  into the BHA, without interfering my current setup?

Thanks,
Marius

Hi,

Use the Tape Outs on the BP26 to the RCA ins on the BHA.

james

MellowVelo

« Reply #185 on: 15 Aug 2012, 04:53 pm »
Hi,

james

James, this is great news! I'll definitely get this when the time comes for me to order a BHA-1. Would I still be able to order this through my local dealer, or is the ordering process different for special orders?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #186 on: 15 Aug 2012, 05:06 pm »
James, this is great news! I'll definitely get this when the time comes for me to order a BHA-1. Would I still be able to order this through my local dealer, or is the ordering process different for special orders?

Through the normal dealer is fine.

james

Blackstone

« Reply #187 on: 15 Aug 2012, 05:49 pm »
I am in possession of the amp, finally! I will post impressions tonight. My dealer also loaned me a balanced cable for my HD600s so I can test it single and balanced. Basically it is just a stock HD600 cable with an XLR.

I have a great setup but unfortunately my headphones are not the best. The HD600s are good but have limitations. I do not expect miracles but I do expect an improvement. This is to the lay the groundwork for better cans, probably the Grado PS1000s.

I also picked up the Ayre break-in disc so I will be running glide tones and brown noise through the amp while I am at work to speed up the break-in process, although the one I heard in store sounded GREAT right out of the box. Fortunately, my fiancee is out of town for a week and then we are meeting up for a little vacation so I'll be able to run some nasty break in noise through this thing 24-7 for at least 100 hours. And of course when I am not breaking it in or listening to music I'll be playing Battlefield 3 so I will break it in with the (hopefully blissfully enhanced ) sound of mortars, machine guns, and screaming jet engines!

Oh yes, this week is WIN.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #188 on: 15 Aug 2012, 06:08 pm »
I am in possession of the amp, finally! I will post impressions tonight. My dealer also loaned me a balanced cable for my HD600s so I can test it single and balanced. Basically it is just a stock HD600 cable with an XLR.

I have a great setup but unfortunately my headphones are not the best. The HD600s are good but have limitations. I do not expect miracles but I do expect an improvement. This is to the lay the groundwork for better cans, probably the Grado PS1000s.

I also picked up the Ayre break-in disc so I will be running glide tones and brown noise through the amp while I am at work to speed up the break-in process, although the one I heard in store sounded GREAT right out of the box. Fortunately, my fiancee is out of town for a week and then we are meeting up for a little vacation so I'll be able to run some nasty break in noise through this thing 24-7 for at least 100 hours. And of course when I am not breaking it in or listening to music I'll be playing Battlefield 3 so I will break it in with the (hopefully blissfully enhanced ) sound of mortars, machine guns, and screaming jet engines!

Oh yes, this week is WIN.

Great - looking forward to your feedback. :thumb:

james

Blackstone

« Reply #189 on: 18 Aug 2012, 08:36 pm »
To make a long story short, the amp is great out of the box and phenomenal after 48+ hours of intense break in. It is getting better all the time. Oh and I decided that my HD600 just wasn't doing this amp justice so I went back and picked up a set of Grado PS1000s. Both of those items now occupy permanent positions in my listening room.

This unit is first rate, James. The more I play it, the more I like it. Many thanks to Bryston, Grado, and the knowledgeable and accommodating folks at Audio Consultants in Evanston, Illinois for setting me up with the best headphone setup I have ever heard!

I can tell both the amp and the headphones are true audiophile products and will scale as I upgraded sources, cables, and find higher quality source material.  I will have this one for a long, long time. Cheers! :beer:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #190 on: 23 Aug 2012, 03:41 pm »
MEMO: To all Bryston Dealers/Distributors
SUBJECT: Bryston BHA Headphone Amplifier

August 2012,

Hi Folks,

Please be advised that as of October 1st 2012 we will be adding a pair of XL R BALANCED OUTPUTS to the rear panel of the Bryston BHA-1 Headphone amplifier.

This will allow our customers to utilize the BHA-1 as a reference quality 3-source Stereo Preamplifier as well as a state of the art headphone amplifier.

The price on the BHA-1 will be going up approximately 10% but it will provide our customers with a much more versatile product.

We are currently producing all new BHA-1 units with the rear panel XLR Outputs installed. Any new order placed before October 1st 2012 or any backorder currently in house will come equipped with this new feature at no extra cost.

Please be advised that we are in a serious backorder situation currently and any new order will be 6 weeks out.

Regards,
James Tanner
Bryston Ltd.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #191 on: 23 Aug 2012, 04:02 pm »
MEMO: To all Bryston Dealers/Distributors
SUBJECT: Bryston BHA Headphone Amplifier

August 2012,

Hi Folks,

Please be advised that as of October 1st 2012 we will be adding a pair of XL R BALANCED OUTPUTS to the rear panel of the Bryston BHA-1 Headphone amplifier.

This will allow our customers to utilize the BHA-1 as a reference quality 3-source Stereo Preamplifier as well as a state of the art headphone amplifier.

The price on the BHA-1 will be going up approximately 10% but it will provide our customers with a much more versatile product.

We are currently producing all new BHA-1 units with the rear panel XLR Outputs installed. Any new order placed before October 1st 2012 or any backorder currently in house will come equipped with this new feature at no extra cost.

Please be advised that we are in a serious backorder situation currently and any new order will be 6 weeks out.

Regards,
James Tanner
Bryston Ltd.

Very interesting, James. It seems that for some users, like me, it could work out well as a possible preamp upgrade since I use only two sources.

But that raises this question: how would the BHA-1, used as a preamp, in terms of performance, compare to preamps you might introduce based on the outstanding preamp section on the SP3?

Dave

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #192 on: 23 Aug 2012, 08:07 pm »
...this is certainly a very nice upgrade! well done, Bryston :thumb:

al.

SoundGame

« Reply #193 on: 23 Aug 2012, 09:15 pm »
This is very interesting.

How would the BHA-1 compare in performance as a preamp to the BP6 and 26 preamps?  Would it be the same level of transparency, output voltage etc?

Will there be a ne brochure and spec sheet out shortly?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #194 on: 23 Aug 2012, 09:25 pm »
This is very interesting.

How would the BHA-1 compare in performance as a preamp to the BP6 and 26 preamps?  Would it be the same level of transparency, output voltage etc?

Will there be a ne brochure and spec sheet out shortly?

Hi,

It has a bit more output (voltage/current) available because it was designed to drive difficult low impedance headphones so it will be interesting to get the feedback on what our customers think of the sound when used as a preamp.

james

SoundGame

« Reply #195 on: 23 Aug 2012, 09:30 pm »
Hi,

It has a bit more output (voltage/current) available because it was designed to drive difficult low impedance headphones so it will be interesting to get the feedback on what our customers think of the sound when used as a preamp.

james

Thanks James.  Coulld there also be an option to change the mini stereo jack on the back to a second set of RCA inputs?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #196 on: 23 Aug 2012, 10:08 pm »
Thanks James.  Coulld there also be an option to change the mini stereo jack on the back to a second set of RCA inputs?

Hi,

I do not think so as it would mean a circuit board change. 

james

Marius

« Reply #197 on: 24 Aug 2012, 05:38 am »
HI James,

Is it possible to have the BHA1 received balanced input (in my case from the BDA1) and the unbalanced sources via the Tape outs on the BP26, and then select inputs on the front of the BHA1?

Would this be useful (being a full balanced circuit, form source to output), or would you just advice to listen to the balanced sources through the Tape out too, that obviously pass there?

Since I believe to may have deduced from other fora on AC that playing a Balanced Headphone would be the way to go, Im trying to figure out how to end up with the optimal setup: best electronics for all sources, both balanced and not.

Thanks!
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #198 on: 24 Aug 2012, 09:53 am »
HI James,

Is it possible to have the BHA1 received balanced input (in my case from the BDA1) and the unbalanced sources via the Tape outs on the BP26, and then select inputs on the front of the BHA1?

Would this be useful (being a full balanced circuit, form source to output), or would you just advice to listen to the balanced sources through the Tape out too, that obviously pass there?

Since I believe to may have deduced from other fora on AC that playing a Balanced Headphone would be the way to go, Im trying to figure out how to end up with the optimal setup: best electronics for all sources, both balanced and not.

Thanks!
Marius

Hi Marius

Yes you can set up the system as you describe with the balanced out of the BDA to the Balanced in on the BHA.

James

Marius

« Reply #199 on: 24 Aug 2012, 10:20 am »
HI James,

Thanks, just to be 100% certain before ordering: so balanced and unbalanced sources can be used simultaneously, and independently selected with the little input-selector on the BHA? In fact just like the BP26 source selection works? As opposed to the input-selection switch on the Bp1.5, where either MC or MM can be accommodated, but only 1 at a time in 1 setup)

Marius

Hi Marius

Yes you can set up the system as you describe with the balanced out of the BDA to the Balanced in on the BHA.

James