Amplifier power and efficient speakers, Is more power better?

*Scotty*

rollo it is very likely your 22watt SET delivers substantially less than its full rated power as the frequency decreases. Your 250watt triode amp maybe delivering 10 times as much power as your SET and they are two different amplifier designs. It is not huge surprise that they sound different from one another. Here is a good link to discussion on the limitations of output transformers at the frequency extremes.
http://www.plitron.com/PDF/Atcl_1.pdf
Scotty

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
I'm using speakers with[ 9 ]5" mids and [24] 1" dome tweeters per side. Rated at 94db. Using a 22W SET. Now when I switch to a 250W triode amp the music is effortless, fuller, no compression detected and a more powerfull midbass. Why?  :?

charles

10x the power, shouldn't be much of a surprise.  How power is rated is another topic we should discuss, but if the two amps were rated with similar methods (into a known impedance, at a certain THD level, etc.) that you can just assume you really do need the power.  Yet another 2 cents!  :)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
rollo it is very likely your 22watt SET delivers substantially less than its full rated power as the frequency decreases. Your 250watt triode amp maybe delivering 10 times as much power as your SET and they are two different amplifier designs. It is not huge surprise that they sound different from one another. Here is a good link to discussion on the limitations of output transformers at the frequency extremes.
http://www.plitron.com/PDF/Atcl_1.pdf
Scotty
  Very interesting read. Thank you. Well the SET is transformer coupled and the push pull cap coupled. Indee two different takes. Now I have an Audio Research Classic 60 and a DR250 mk2 servo. One at 60 W and the other 250W. When used with the Maggies or the Pippdreams the DR 250 sounds effortless fuller and a bit more dynamic. The Pipes have a 94db sensitivity and the Maggies 83db on a good day. Not apples to apples but I do notice just more brut force with the more powerfull amp in either application.
  So to me its da juice.

charles

srb

The Pipes have a 94db sensitivity and the Maggies 83db on a good day. Not apples to apples but I do notice just more brut force with the more powerfull amp in either application.
  So to me its da juice.

Very interesting real-world observation.

And you've fathered a new audiophile dialogue when discussing amplifiers.
"I just got a new amplifier"
"Great, but does it have da juice?"   ;)

Have you tried a 500W/channel amplifier?

Steve

Quiet Earth

Re: Amplifier power and efficient speakers, Is more power better?
« Reply #64 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:48 pm »

For the last 6 months I've been playing bass in a garage band. We play classic rock just for fun. We're pretty good but not good enough, if you know what I mean. We practice in the drummer's living room about once a week. There's just me on bass with a 50 watt practice amp, the electic guitar player with his medium sized amp, the drummer, and two people singing through a small PA. After about 45 minutes it's too f*#$ing loud. I keep asking the guys to put more energy into playing with precision and less energy into their volume level. They don't want to do that . . . . . . dude  8). My ears feel stuffed up the next day, and they *buzz* the day after that. I wear ear plugs when we practice now.

The last few "professional" concerts that I attended were so loud that I wished they would end about half way through. I take ear plugs to those kind of events now. One venue actually passed them out before the show started. That was nice of them.

The last couple of movies I've seen were way too loud for me too. I guess that's what the public expects for their eight dollars.

What ever happened to resolving the quiet end of the dynamic range and listening at a lower average level? I own a pair of 9 watt single ended triode monoblocks.  They cost me way too many dollars per watt, but I can listen to them all day long and never get tired of putting just one more record on. The music they make is mesmerizing.

I hate it when it's time to turn them off.