Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.
« Reply #600 on: 7 Jun 2011, 04:09 pm »

Would an Alix SATA version, setup with Voyage pre-installed be more interesting? When I say "setup" and pre-installed, meaning the mpd.conf is pre-edited so that one only needs to connect a eSATA disk and it gets mounted automatically. You'll still need an ethernet connection to control mpd, though.

That would be very cool, and ready for the non-Linux masses.  Serious business idea, frankly.  :)

jrebman

« Reply #601 on: 7 Jun 2011, 04:15 pm »
Would an Alix SATA version, setup with Voyage pre-installed be more interesting?

Yes, absolutely. and I have all the necessary parts to do this in a unified enclosure with the power supply included as well.  As for the disc interface, as long as it is different than the dac interface, and local, if the experiments I've done with my mini are indication, should be better than pulling the music files off the lan.  Understood that the lan connection is still needed for control.

Actually, the enclosure I have is plenty large enough for the alix, power supply, some extra filtering/regulators, and a disc drive with it's own regulated 5v power supply (r whatever voltage it requires.

I just started on a smaller box for a linear psu with additional regulators this morning and that will have the alix mounted on top and will use the standard setup, pulling the music files off the NAS.

Thanks,

Jim

jrebman

« Reply #602 on: 7 Jun 2011, 04:20 pm »
Ted,

Exactly!  Ready for the masses, plug and play, etc. Plug in the box, connect the network cable, setup your iPod/Pad or whatever, connect dac or usb-spdif converter, upload files, listen.

-- Jim

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #603 on: 7 Jun 2011, 04:23 pm »
I guess any "minimalist" advantages will be tested here.  Now we are asking the machine to do more, a step toward the "other" multitasking server architectures out there.  I'd hate to push it too far.

jrebman

« Reply #604 on: 7 Jun 2011, 04:30 pm »
Well, maybe a bit, but as I said, with the mini (which obviously has far more going on, the differencebetween a local drive and pulling the files off the network is quite noticeable.

But, that's why the experimentation.  I'll have one box setup in the same configuration as folks here have been using, and another, essentially identical setup but with a local music drive.

-- Jim

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #605 on: 7 Jun 2011, 05:41 pm »
OK, I clearly don't know what I'm saying here..but humor me...

If Voyage MPD is looking for the files via the network anyway (as opposed to the Mac Mini whose default is likely local) then are we possibly presenting the same labor load regardless if the network is LAN or eSata?  Anyway...this is cool stuff, and any way to make a configuration-for-the-masses would be very welcome I would think. 

jrebman

« Reply #606 on: 7 Jun 2011, 06:05 pm »
Ted,

Well, I believe so, but there will be some additional overhead for another device, but how much, I don't know yet.

-- Jim

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #607 on: 7 Jun 2011, 06:10 pm »
OK, I clearly don't know what I'm saying here..but humor me...

If Voyage MPD is looking for the files via the network anyway (as opposed to the Mac Mini whose default is likely local) then are we possibly presenting the same labor load regardless if the network is LAN or eSata?  Anyway...this is cool stuff, and any way to make a configuration-for-the-masses would be very welcome I would think.

No. The devil is in the details. MPD, i.e., the server daemon on the Alix only needs to know where the files are. The MPD client only needs to know the I.P address of MPD to start controlling it.

If we did a eSATA or Firewire version of this server,  then we only need to have mpd.conf point to /media, where the SATA SSD or HDD would get mounted.

There are also a couple of small details to figure out as well. Like, where do keep the database and other files? On a separate, writable partition on the compact flash or on the SSD/HDD?

dwk

« Reply #608 on: 7 Jun 2011, 10:42 pm »
Has anyone tried the Xmos board with Voyage MPD?  I installed the latest Live iso to a thumb drive and tried it on an Atom-based netbook, but wasn't able to get the Xmos board working. It showed up in Alsa, but mpd failed to open the interface. I'm not sure whether this is a simple matter of getting the output settings correct in mpd, or if there is another problem.

Pemo

« Reply #609 on: 7 Jun 2011, 11:42 pm »
Hi everybody.
I would like to make a little contribution to the thread.
I found two "almost" new motherboards from Intel that might work.
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/db-D525MW/D525MW-overview.htm
and
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/db-d425kt/D425KT-overview.htm

Hope you like them.

RGDS

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #610 on: 8 Jun 2011, 02:39 am »
Has anyone tried the Xmos board with Voyage MPD?  I installed the latest Live iso to a thumb drive and tried it on an Atom-based netbook, but wasn't able to get the Xmos board working. It showed up in Alsa, but mpd failed to open the interface. I'm not sure whether this is a simple matter of getting the output settings correct in mpd, or if there is another problem.

What's the output of of aplay -l? How is your alsa output section configured in mpd.conf?

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #611 on: 8 Jun 2011, 02:41 am »
Hi everybody.
I would like to make a little contribution to the thread.
I found two "almost" new motherboards from Intel that might work.
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/db-D525MW/D525MW-overview.htm
and
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/db-d425kt/D425KT-overview.htm

Hope you like them.

RGDS

They should work just fine. But personally I try to avoid "desktop" boards that come loaded with superfluous components (VGA, parallel port, IDE, etc.etc.) and needs an ATX switching supply.

If you like the board though, by all means. And, let us know how it sounds.

JDUBS

« Reply #612 on: 12 Jun 2011, 09:04 pm »
I guess any "minimalist" advantages will be tested here.  Now we are asking the machine to do more, a step toward the "other" multitasking server architectures out there.  I'd hate to push it too far.

Not really.  Its still the same basic machine but the "output" goes through the PCI soundcard vs. USB.

Still not a server.

-Jim

JDUBS

« Reply #613 on: 12 Jun 2011, 09:05 pm »
PCi cards are keyed for 5v or 3.3v volt signaling. The Soekris is keyed (notch is closer to PCI bracket, IIRC) for 3.3 volt signaling.

Look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_%28bus%29

nyc_paramedic, has this Soekris been successfully used with the Juli@?  Seems like a really cool all-in-one network playback machine.  Just point it to your music and you're good to go.

-Jim

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #614 on: 12 Jun 2011, 09:16 pm »
nyc_paramedic, has this Soekris been successfully used with the Juli@?  Seems like a really cool all-in-one network playback machine.  Just point it to your music and you're good to go.

-Jim

Not that I'm aware of.  And honestly, with other things going on I might not have the time.

wilbert-vanbakel

• Photoshopped Smile
    • On Facebook
« Reply #615 on: 13 Jun 2011, 01:53 am »
It took me some time and frustration before I realized that mpd needs to run as user with audio privileges. Please verify that the user that runs mpd is member of the audio group.

JDUBS

« Reply #616 on: 18 Jun 2011, 03:05 am »
Not that I'm aware of.  And honestly, with other things going on I might not have the time.

If I can score a used Juli@ and Soekris, I want to give this a shot.  Since we're in the same city, maybe we can combine forces to tackle this.

-Jim

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #617 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:35 am »
If I can score a used Juli@ and Soekris, I want to give this a shot.  Since we're in the same city, maybe we can combine forces to tackle this.

I scored a nice used Soekris. Let me know if you can get your hands on a Juli@.

JDUBS

« Reply #618 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:36 am »
I scored a nice used Soekris. Let me know if you can get your hands on a Juli@.

Nice!  And, will do on the Juli@ front.

-Jim

praedet

« Reply #619 on: 21 Jun 2011, 07:21 pm »
These were my findings as well.  I would be very interested in finding a way to run the Dodd and Alix on the same battery supply without generating noise in the system.  If you come up with a fix please let us know.

Best,
Ed
I am currently running a PI Audio BatteryBuss and I would say 95% of the noise is eliminated.  If I stop the music and turn my Dodd Buffer to full volume I can hear the noise, but that is the only way.  At listening volume, whether the music is stopped or playing, nothing ;)

It is great!

Next question, has anyone tried putting the Alix in another case? (either case in a case, or move the board over)

I am thinking of making a case for the Alix to match the rest of my 2-channel set-up...