Introducing the upcoming Signature 30.2 (long, and detailed)...

spostva

• The Music Never Stopped
You're up early, Vinnie.
How 'bout with out the batteries?  Just trying to save some shipping weight.
Thanks again,
Mike
 :lol:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
You're up early, Vinnie.
How 'bout with out the batteries?  Just trying to save some shipping weight.
Thanks again,
Mike
 :lol:

Hi Mike,

This is fine as well.  I have batteries here to test it out before I ship  :wink:

Best regards,

Vinnie

kbuzz3

Has VR mentioned anything about those of us who have the omega chassied version vis a vis the upgrade?

And if Vr doesnt have enough on his plate -will there be an omega wooded chassis with the isabella....

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Has VR mentioned anything about those of us who have the omega chassied version vis a vis the upgrade?

And if Vr doesnt have enough on his plate -will there be an omega wooded chassis with the isabella....

Hi kbuzz3,

Yes, the Omega version of the Sig 30 did come up: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=44816.msg402724#msg402724

It is too early to say at this point, but it is possible...

Best regards,

Vinnie

OrJazzM

Hey Vinnie, any chance we can get a look at the new rear panel of the 30.2?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Hey Vinnie, any chance we can get a look at the new rear panel of the 30.2?

Hi OrJazzM,

Here is another one of these "concept photos."  In other words, this is a photoshopped picture and not the real thing, but it gives you a good idea what it will look like:

As you can see, all inputs and outputs are labelled via laser-etching.  The charger jack uses a beefy XLR connector (this is how the new style 24V, 2A charger cord is terminated).  The speaker posts have been upgraded to Vampires.

The center area that does not have any jacks is like that because behind it is where the SMART module is mounted.

Best regards,

Vinnie

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
Looks perfect Vinnie, clean and simple.

tvyankee

Hey Vin,

In the Pro world we use a Four Pin XLR for the power so that we don't send voltage show where its not supposed to go.

Just thought i mention it.

Looks like its going to be another kick ass amp.

Good Luck.

Krusty

bprice2

Vinnie,

Looking forward to hearing others' impressions of the 30.2, and I appreciate that you are thinking of previous purchasers.  500 bucks plus shipping sounds like a good deal for the upgrade, assuming its as good as you say.

Regarding the SMART module, I don't think I would need it.  Yes, I've left my amp on overnight, but have always turned it off in the morning for a full charge.  Its been a year now of being a proud RWA Sig 30 owner and my SLA's are still going strong. 

Thanks,

Brett

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Hey Vin,

In the Pro world we use a Four Pin XLR for the power so that we don't send voltage show where its not supposed to go.

Just thought i mention it.

Looks like its going to be another kick ass amp.

Good Luck.

Krusty

Hey Krusty,

Thanks!

The new Signature 30.2, 70.2, and Isabella units will feature a new charger... a beefy 24V charger that uses a standard power cord that plugs into the charger's IEC jack.  From there, the charger unit outputs a cable that plugs into the product.  This is a 3-pin XLR plug.

Here is a pic:

With the 30.2, the rear panel will be labelled to avoid any confusion (see post above with rear panel concept photo).  Also, even if one were to accidentally plug in something that had an XLR plug that was not a charger (e.g. a microphone or something like that), it will not hurt anything because the SMART module is so smart that it "looks" to see a charger voltage before switching the battery voltage to the XLR jack.  Now that is SMART  :P

This charger charges 4x faster than the charger that came with the Signature 30, and it also has a universal input voltage (100 - 240Vac, 50/60Hz) so there will no longer be the need for buying a different charger for overseas customers.  All they would need to supply is the power cord that has the correct AC plug on the cord for their outlet. 

Quote from: bprice2"
Vinnie,

Looking forward to hearing others' impressions of the 30.2, and I appreciate that you are thinking of previous purchasers.  500 bucks plus shipping sounds like a good deal for the upgrade, assuming its as good as you say.

Hi Brett,

I just started this thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=45450.0

I hope it grows in time with more user feedback. 

Quote from: stevenkelby
Looks perfect Vinnie, clean and simple.

Thanks!  That's the idea  8)

Best regards,

Vinnie

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Just curious about the difference in attenuators. In the original 30 the Dact attenuator is used, and the new attenuator is a goldpoint... if you send in for the upgrade, does the attenuator get swapped out or stay the same? Is one better than the other?

Thanks.

-Tony

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Just curious about the difference in attenuators. In the original 30 the Dact attenuator is used, and the new attenuator is a goldpoint... if you send in for the upgrade, does the attenuator get swapped out or stay the same? Is one better than the other?

Thanks.

-Tony

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the RWA forum!

When you send in your Signature 30 for the upgrade, the DACT does not get removed (unless you want to convert to a Signature 30.2 power amp version).

The DACT and new Goldpoint stepped attenuators are very similar.  They use the same high quality Swiss-made Elma switch (24 position) and both feature very precise surface mount resistors.  Their attenuation curves are also very similar.  I really can't say that one is better sounding than the other... they are that close!

Best regards,

Vinnie

Randy

I am in the beginning stages of thinking about the 30.2, the main reason being I'd like to get off the local electrical system. The power here in the evening hours, say starting around five o'clock, is horribly noisy. Is this a good reason to consider this amp? I have a passive preamp, but in any case could use the volume control of the amp, I suppose, but then I'd still have my CDP plugged into the wall. Would I make any dent in the poor sound derived from the noisy electricity with the amps (Red Wine) off line, even with the CDP still on it? In other words, I don't know which contributes more to the noise, the amps or the CDP. I know there are battery powered DACs out there, but I've never seen a battery powered transport, so I don't see complete liberation from my electric company's crappy power. Any help or comments? My speakers are rated 91 db, so wonder if the 30.2 has enough power for them, but I might go to more efficient speakers if it would solve the electical problem.

ZLS

Randy,

The short answer is yes.  Whenever you can remove a component from the power grid it is beneficial.  Red Wine Audio offers a trial period, so you could determine if the Sig.2 works in your system.  IMHO you will be seduced by the sound. 
    Red Wine Audio also modifies an Ipod (The Imod that is sold through ALO Audio) Which is also off the power grid.  Listening to a system that is totally off the grid is a true revelation, you simply relax into the music.

Loftprojection

I know there are battery powered DACs out there, but I've never seen a battery powered transport

That's because you've never heard of the RWA Squeezebox, or the RWA Imod, or the RWA Olive...   :thumb:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
I am in the beginning stages of thinking about the 30.2, the main reason being I'd like to get off the local electrical system. The power here in the evening hours, say starting around five o'clock, is horribly noisy. Is this a good reason to consider this amp? I have a passive preamp, but in any case could use the volume control of the amp, I suppose, but then I'd still have my CDP plugged into the wall. Would I make any dent in the poor sound derived from the noisy electricity with the amps (Red Wine) off line, even with the CDP still on it? In other words, I don't know which contributes more to the noise, the amps or the CDP. I know there are battery powered DACs out there, but I've never seen a battery powered transport, so I don't see complete liberation from my electric company's crappy power. Any help or comments? My speakers are rated 91 db, so wonder if the 30.2 has enough power for them, but I might go to more efficient speakers if it would solve the electical problem.

Hi Randy,

Thank you for your post.

In my experience, power amps tend to be the biggest culprit for noise (especially when it comes to dirty power).  The power supply rails of a power amp are modulated by the input signal (your source) and whatever noise is on those rails is tied to the speakers (via the output driver stage of your amp). 

A CD player that is plugged in can also pick up noise and this can be sent to the amp, but in general, it is not on the same level of magnitude as that of a power amp.

One thing you can do to prove that your power amp is the culprit is to try connecting a portable audio source that is ran off of battery power (iPod, portable CD player, etc.) to your amp and see if you are still hearing the noise that you mentioned. 

I know there are battery powered DACs out there, but I've never seen a battery powered transport, so I don't see complete liberation from my electric company's crappy power.

Loftprojection mentioned the RWA modded SB3 and Olive Music Server... both of which can be modded to run entirely off of SLA battery power.  Another option that I have been playing with is a Macbook laptop running off of its internal battery (it can play for 6 hours) feeding the USB output into the Isabella tube preamp with USB dac (a prototype at this point).  The Isabella tube preamp will be entirely ran from SLA battery power as well.  You can also feed an optical digital signal into it (or to another battery dac with optical input) and the optical signal will isolate the dac from noise.  A coax digital input has uses a transformer can also be very effective at isolating the source (transport) noise from the dac.

My speakers are rated 91 db, so wonder if the 30.2 has enough power for them, but I might go to more efficient speakers if it would solve the electical problem.

The Siganture 30.2 will have no trouble with 91dB speakers.  I've used it with 87dB speakers and have obtained excellent results.  You'll be quite surprised by how much "ummph!" a very clean 30 watts per channel gives you, especially when supply by high-current SLA battery power.  :weights:

If you have any other questions about this, please let me know!

Vinnie

Randy

ZLS, Loft, and Vinnie, thanks for the replies. No I never heard of the SB and Olive transports, etc. The computer route is not an option for me, but the Olive mod looks interesting. Now if I can get rid of the $5000 CDP I bought last summer. The 30.2 looks as if will be the way I will go, but this means giving up my Odyssey amps which I dearly love. They provide glorious sound - during the daytime, that is, and it's such a hassle trying to sell stuff.  I've tried most of the leading power conditioners (and two brands of power regenerators) but nothing helped much. Exception, a little Running Springs unit that quiets the system a little.

Vinnie, I will be in touch.  Thanks much.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Hi Randy,

You are very welcome and please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

All,

I've been taking some pics of the prototype Signature 30.2 that I have here  :D:

The knob is not quite what is shown in the pictures above.  It will feature a dark red position pointer instead of the black one, and that pointer will be a tad bit thicker and easier to see.  Optional gloss-black knob is available upon special request.

The text on the back panel will be a little smaller and more crisp as well.

I am expecting to have enclosures in stock next week and then production will finally begin, as well as the Full-Package Mods to all your Signature 30 customers who are on the waiting list.

Thanks for all your patience... it will be well worth it!  aa

Vinnie

PS: Signature 30.2 webpage is coming soon, followed by the Signature 70.2.
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2007, 09:01 pm by Vinnie R. »

miklorsmith

Man, those are pretty.  My eyes wish I was waiting for the full update but my ears trump the eyes - I can't wait to report on the "sonics only" versions.   :thumb:

-Richard-

Hi Vinnie ~

The Signature 30.2 looks very very nice!!!!!

The simplicity and elegance says "music" written all over it.

Congratulations!!!

Warmest Regards ~ Richard