Upgraded Signature 30 -- Customer feedback

IronLion

Upgraded Signature 30 -- Customer feedback
« on: 19 Sep 2007, 11:49 pm »
Well, I've had the Sig 30.2 for two days now, but have only had time to sit down and really listen to it for about two hours last night.  I need more time to burn in the unit and also to solidify my impressions of it, but I will say that, in my system and to my ears, Vinnie's goals below have all been realized and that this amplifier sounds very, very, very good to me.  It sounds to me the way I imagined that Sig 30 would after reading reviews and impressions of it.  This is not to say that I was disappointed in any way when I did get the original Sig 30, but I think people here know what I mean by that, the 30.2 just really sounds sweet in all the right areas and is by all means in my book a significant step up from the Sig 30.  Associated gear is a Macbook Pro, Red Wine USB Select, Ack! Dack 2.0, Sig 30.2, Zu Tones and Zu Cables.         

BTW, I got the 30.2 partial upgrade so I don't have the new case or the SMART module installed. 

a) A warmer, and more seductive sound signature (noticeable out of the box)
b) Greater dimensionality (noticeable out of the box)
c) Added bass weight (not sure about this yet, my sub needs tuning still)
d) Sweeter top end (definitely noticeable out of the box)
e) Richer tone, without sacrificing any PRaT (this is getting repetitive- definitely noticeable)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Upgraded Signature 30 -- Customer feedback
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2007, 01:25 pm »
All,

IronLion posted his feedback above in the "Introducing the upcoming Signature 30.2 (long, and detailed)..." thread.  I decided to move it to a new thread so it will be easier to view, and hopefully others can add to this thread with their impressions of their modded Signature 30 units  :)

Hi IronLion,

Thank you very much for making the time to post your initial impressions of your Signature 30 Modification.  What you are hearing is the new sound of the Signature 30.2  :thumb:

There are new caps on the input and output stages, so burn-in will only improve things.  However as you noted, the improvements of the Signature 30.2 are very noticeable right out of the box.  The output stage design is a lot different (different filter design, and all different parts) and this accounts for the largest amount of change to the sound, followed by the changes to the input stage (including the new input caps).  :wink:

It sounds to me the way I imagined that Sig 30 would after reading reviews and impressions of it.  This is not to say that I was disappointed in any way when I did get the original Sig 30, but I think people here know what I mean by that, the 30.2 just really sounds sweet in all the right areas and is by all means in my book a significant step up from the Sig 30.

For over a year, I have received A LOT of feedback on the Signature 30 from many customers.  These were the improvements that people were looking for:

a) A warmer, and more seductive sound signature (noticeable out of the box)
b) Greater dimensionality (noticeable out of the box)
c) Added bass weight (not sure about this yet, my sub needs tuning still)
d) Sweeter top end (definitely noticeable out of the box)
e) Richer tone, without sacrificing any PRaT (this is getting repetitive- definitely noticeable)

... and listed above are the improvements that you get!  aa

Thanks again for your post, and please post again when you get more familiar with the sound and accumulate more burn-in time.

Best regards,

Vinnie

marklivia

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2007, 07:52 pm »
Why aren't people posting their impressions ?  :bawl:  How many have had the mods done thus far Vinnie?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2007, 02:10 am »
Why aren't people posting their impressions ?  :bawl:  How many have had the mods done thus far Vinnie?

Hi marklivia,

I've already done a few Signature 30 partial conversion mods (and a few for the Sig 70s), but most of my customers who want their Signature 30 modded want the full package upgrade to the 30.2 and are waiting for this.

I have everything ready to go except for the enclosures... should be here in about a week, and then production will begin!  :hyper:

Best regards,

Vinnie

PS494

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2007, 05:02 pm »
Hello,

I don’t typically post, but in light of the previous query, I am only too glad share my impressions.

Before I comment on the sound, let me say that to work with Mr. Rossi is to receive excellent customer service and true understanding.  I am the type of person who wants his money to go to good people for a good product.  This aspect of dealing with Red Wine Audio has been imminently satisfying.

I have a partially upgraded Signature 30 with Zu cables and speakers.  Because I consider myself a music lover and not an audiophile as it pertains to the technical side of the hobby, I will offer my remarks as impressions.

There is always music in my house.  As such, I am often moving about while playing the stereo.  Recently, I have been having musical moments of grace by hearing music while in another room and being drawn to the stereo so that the music may finish speaking to me in person.  The level of engagement through the upgraded Red Wine amplifier and Zu speakers is palpable.  Make sure that nothing is on the stove and that children are not left unattended.

I have never heard recorded music that is the same as live music, but they are equally important, as each informs the other in important ways (an equivalent example: the beauty of Monet’s “The Water-Lily Pond” and the actual thing).  More importantly is how beauty engages the world through creative expression, and this is what I would like for you to take away from this posting.  The partially upgraded Signature 30 draws me in and doesn’t let go until it is finished. 

OK: the sound, with me drawn to the living room in front of the speakers. Rhythmic, warm, and embodied, filled with life and beguiling nuance.  Like encountering a fascinating person, it evokes the best from within the listener. 

Thank you for taking time to read my post.

Jampot

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2007, 06:48 pm »
I am only too glad share my impressions

Bravo PS494 :thumb:

And thank you for sharing.

Jim

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2007, 02:05 pm »
Hi PS494,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum, and thank you very much for signing up and posting your impressions of the 30.2 partial upgrade to your Sig 30!

Getting back to what marklivia's question above, the fact is that I have a lot of customers (even those with recent Sig 30 mods) who don't sign up and post on this forum (or any forums), but do read them as "guests" and this is fine.  I understand that not everyone is comfortable with writing about their audio experiences... what one hears is not so easy for us to put into words and I struggle with this at times as well.  Posting online to some is sort of like speaking in front of an audience.  Not everyone is comfortable with this, and that is fine.  So while I never expect my customers to post their feedback, I do very much appreciate it and I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your upgraded Sig 30!  8)   

OK: the sound, with me drawn to the living room in front of the speakers. Rhythmic, warm, and embodied, filled with life and beguiling nuance.  Like encountering a fascinating person, it evokes the best from within the listener. 

This really means a lot to me, and as always, it makes me feel good knowing that I have some part in this type of experience!  This is what I want my products to do for my customers -- This is the goal of Red Wine Audio!

Thank you! 

Vinnie

ZLS

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2007, 03:01 am »
:notworthy:  I took delivery on my upgraded Sig 30.2 today.  The first fact I would like to comment on is that I received my amp when it was promised and the packing and boxing of the amp was exceptional.  It does not make any difference how good an amp may sound if it arrives late and broken.  I want to thank Vinnie Rossi for his professionalism in delivering what he promised and taking the care to insure its arrival in working condition. 
    Now as to the sound.  I keep coming back to the analogy the Vinnie's previous designs are like good vintage tube equipment and the current designs both expand on the previous designs strengths and eliminates their weaknesses.  Vinnie's designs are always listenable; in fact  will go farther and say they are always enjoyable.  The Sig 30.2 is a clearly audible improvement over the Sig 30.  It is just as easy to listen to, but is much more articulate and nuanced.  It is so even and smooth over its frequency range (greater than the Sig 30) that it is easy to forget the incredible amount of detail that is being revealed.  The detail is not of the ooh, wow type of variety, but the type that allows you to understand what the musician's are trying to say. 
    The Signature 30.2 is a marathon runner; not a sprinter.  You may hear other amps that may sound more striking initially, but at the end of the night listening to the Sig 30.2 will always put a smile on your face. 
    The Clari-T was a young child with obvious potential. 
    The Signature 30 was an adolescent who was just discovering what he was capable of. 
    The Signature 30.2 is an adult who has hit his stride. 

One can only imagine what is next.

The Signature 30.2 is a servant to the music; more I cannot nor should not say. 
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2007, 04:46 am by ZLS »

miklorsmith

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2007, 03:11 pm »
I took receipt of my upgraded 70s last night.  ZLS - nice descriptions, I agree.  Vinnie's right too, they are better out of the box.  I'm burning them in now with my new Isotek CD and am very excited.

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2007, 05:25 pm »
 :D I also am pouring Red Wine on a set of Zu Def's with a set of 70.2's.They are sounding very good but i made the mistake of a 30 hour run and am now waiting for a new set of 1250's???? Man,i am such a idiot.Glad the batteries are only 22 bucks each. :D
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2007, 10:00 am by 2bigears »

miklorsmith

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2007, 02:53 pm »
Further preliminary thoughts on the upgraded 70s -

At $500/amp, this is a no-brainer upgrade.  These are not the same amps that left my house.  They do look identical, aside from the upgraded feet but after running them through my new Isotek CD (thanks, Srajan) for a day they are wholly new.

The most startling aspect of the performance is at the leading and trailing edges.  If you imagine these "points" visually, you can zoom in on them.  I have never thought of it this way but listening to these amps had me concentrating on that aspect, going in closer and closer, trying to find the place where those sounds truly start.

What did I decide?  With these amps, they don't start, there is no discrete moment.  No matter how close the zoom, I can't find it.  This is natural resolution folks, a big-time improvement in an area that was already great.  Overall relaxation factor has increased too - stunning.

Every 30 and 70 amp needs this treatment.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2007, 02:07 am »
Hi ZLS and Miklorsmith,

Thank you for posting your initial impressions of your upgraded Siggies. :wink:

Right out of the box they are a lot better and I'm glad that you are finding this to be the case, but please keep us posted when you acquire some serious burn-in time (> 100 total hours).  I recently compared my very well burned-in Sig 30.2 to a very well burned-in Sig 30 (even more burned in than the 30.2) and the 30.2 is in a whole other league... and the 70.2s are really a treat with the 70.2 upgrade!  :hyper: 

Thanks again,

Vinnie

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov 2007, 11:14 am »
Just quickly, I got my 30.2 about 4 days ago and was immediately impressed by the build and finish quality. It is heavier and smaller than I was expecting.

On first listen I was satisfied with the sound, it's obviously a very high quality amp. I didn't try to analyze the sound too much as it was brand new and I didn't have quality time to listen. I've got about 50 hours on the Sig 30.2 now and I just properly compared it to my old but good Yamaha AX-730 (110wx2) on my B&W DM 604s and Taket H2 headphones.

An imod with a dock I made with some v-caps, and a few reference .flacs is the main source.

Going from the Yamaha to the 30.2, it's like taking out ear plugs. I expected a big improvement of course but this is huge. It makes the Yamy sound flat, muffled and lifeless.

I'm pretty careful about how I compare audio equipment as I am all too aware of the placebo affect, poor recollection of sound, high expectations and how easy it is to make false judgments. I get my wife to switch cables without me seeing if I'm not sure I hear something. No question here though, the difference is very clear.

Not to mention the silent background when unplugged from the charger.

It has more than enough power for the DM604s, I wasn't expecting such headroom from a measly 30 watts! My old Rotel was 200 x 2 and the Sig 30.2 doesn't sound lacking in power at all, driving to reference level without a problem. I do have a smallish room though.

I feel that the 30.2 is good value for the quality of sound it puts out at the price.

This amps a lifelong keeper I suspect, thanks Vinnie!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 5 Nov 2007, 06:16 pm »

This amps a lifelong keeper I suspect, thanks Vinnie!

Hi stevenkelby,

Thank you for posting your initial impressions and I'm glad that you are enjoying your Signature 30.2!  8)

Happy Listening,

Vinnie

alexander76

« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2008, 08:47 am »
I am very happy with the partial Signature 30 upgrade as well. I believe it hasn't fully burnt-in, so it should probably even get better.
One point I like to mention is that the remote control doesn't seem to work anymore. It's not a big issue but I really liked the remote control very much.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2008, 09:19 am by alexander76 »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2008, 01:32 pm »
I am very happy with the partial Signature 30 upgrade as well. I believe it hasn't fully burnt-in, so it should probably even get better.
One point I like to mention is that the remote control doesn't seem to work anymore. It's not a big issue but I really liked the remote control very much.
When I push the volume + on the remote, I can hear the amp volume is "crisping" but it's just like the volume know is to stiff or there is more automated power needed to make the volume know move. Sorry for my bad english.

Hi alexander76,

The upgrade has NO influence on the remote, so what you are describing is not normal and can be easily fixed.  It makes the most sense to contact me about this via email: vinnie@redwineaudio.com

Best regards,

Vinnie

alexander76

« Reply #16 on: 12 Sep 2008, 09:26 am »
Indeed, the upgrade wouldn't have caused the "failure" of the remote control. I don't have the experience to fix it myself.
It could be fixed when I send the Signature 30 back to Red Wine Audio for battery replacement.
It looks like there is inefficient power to turn the volume up or down. I can see some effort/action when I press the remote's volume '+'/'-', but it's not powerful enough to increase/decrease the volume at all.

Thanks, Alexander

Hi alexander76,

The upgrade has NO influence on the remote, so what you are describing is not normal and can be easily fixed.  It makes the most sense to contact me about this via email: vinnie@redwineaudio.com

Best regards,

Vinnie

chckr

« Reply #17 on: 12 Sep 2008, 12:48 pm »
Indeed, the upgrade wouldn't have caused the "failure" of the remote control. I don't have the experience to fix it myself.
It could be fixed when I send the Signature 30 back to Red Wine Audio for battery replacement.
It looks like there is inefficient power to turn the volume up or down. I can see some effort/action when I press the remote's volume '+'/'-', but it's not powerful enough to increase/decrease the volume at all.

I had that problem as well (enough battery charge left to make amp work but not the remote).  Probably happened when I left the amp on for a bit too long.  Fortunately it happened before I upgraded so Vinnie was able to replace batteries and do the full upgrade at the same time.  It swayed me to go for the full SMART upgrade which has been a wise choice IMO.  It's way too easy to leave the amp on and SMART takes out those worries.   I have to say that I don't love the new touch sensor on/off switch as it's a bit touchy.  But I've gotten used to that over time and having the SMART capability way out weighs the finicky on/off.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 12 Sep 2008, 12:55 pm »
Alexander,

If the battery is not strong enough to turn the remote, this means the voltage is wayyyyyyy too low and it is time to replace them!

This would never happen with the SMART module because the unit would have turned OFF and started charging way before reaching this point.

Because the voltage is so low (where it cannot turn the volume control motor), your audio performance is also limited (you are not getting full power - probably not even half!) - so it is time to replace the batteries.

If you'd like us to do this for you, please contact me at: vinnie@redwineaudio.com

Best regards,

Vinnie