Introducing the upcoming Signature 30.2 (long, and detailed)...

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
What, no phono stage? :D

-- Jim

I knew that was coming.. I just knew it!!!  :banghead:  :green:

chckr

Hey, give Vinnie a break.   All those sonic improvements, full upgrade paths, and a new preamp is a lot to deliver.  :thumb:  But speaking of a phono stage, what would be the recommended "off the grid" phone stage? 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
I see fatherhood has not slowed you down Vinnie....all the detail's sound very good so far...nice !!!! :thumb:

alan m. kafton

What, no phono stage? :D

-- Jim

I knew that was coming.. I just knew it!!!  :banghead:  :green:

Hey, Vinnie....what power cords will you recommend with the new version??   :icon_lol:

jrebman

Chckr,

Vinnie knows I'm only razzing him (I hope), and I'm a real admirer of his designs and products and have nothing but respect for all his work.

That said,  I'm going to look into possibly doing a battery supply for the Bellari phono stage.  I'm not sure what the current draw on this is, but it uses a 12-18vdc power supply (currently from a wall wart), so I'm sure a high quality regulated AC supply that switches over to SLA operation (a la RWA Squeezeboxs) may be very practical here.  There is also a DACT phono board that is completely configurable and can run off a bipolar 24vdc supply, and doesn't draw a whole lot of current, but it's fairly pricey.

-- Jim

Loftprojection

Great tease on the Isabella, Vinnie :wink:

I like the built in NOS DAC idea.
and TUBES!  :thumb:

Ho yes, me likey too, built in USB tube NOS DAC with multiple input and remote volume control, all battery powered, could be that one could go completely off the grid, RWA SB2 as transport, RWA Isabella pre-amp, RWA Sig 30 or 70 power amp...

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
Vinnie:
When do you find time to sleep? I, myself, am now racked with guilt what with all the idle hours I have.
As for your 'final' look, with the small lettering, its great the way it is. Now all I have to do is agonize over which upgrade path to take  :scratch:: as usual, I want it all.

nonoise

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Vinnie:
When do you find time to sleep? I, myself, am now racked with guilt what with all the idle hours I have.
As for your 'final' look, with the small lettering, its great the way it is. Now all I have to do is agonize over which upgrade path to take  :scratch:: as usual, I want it all.

nonoise

Hey Nonoise,

There is a lot of my plate, but I still make sure that I spend time with Isabella (my baby daughter, not the upcoming product  :green:) and wife, but when they are asleep, I'm working away through the night and early morning hours! :whip:

Ho yes, me likey too, built in USB tube NOS DAC with multiple input and remote volume control, all battery powered, could be that one could go completely off the grid, RWA SB2 as transport, RWA Isabella pre-amp, RWA Sig 30 or 70 power amp...

Hi LP,

That's the vision and I'm going to make it a reality soon enough. 

Vinnie knows I'm only razzing him (I hope), and I'm a real admirer of his designs and products and have nothing but respect for all his work.

Thanks, Jim.  Yes, I know you're razzing me  :P

That said,  I'm going to look into possibly doing a battery supply for the Bellari phono stage.  I'm not sure what the current draw on this is, but it uses a 12-18vdc power supply (currently from a wall wart), so I'm sure a high quality regulated AC supply that switches over to SLA operation (a la RWA Squeezeboxs) may be very practical here.

I'm sure you can feed it from an SLA.  An enclosure can be built with a 12V SMART module installed as well  :wink:

Hey, Vinnie....what power cords will you recommend with the new version??   

Hi Alan,

The invisible kind  :lol:

I see fatherhood has not slowed you down Vinnie....all the detail's sound very good so far...nice !!!!

Hi Chris,

Of course not... I just sleep less now and burn the candle at three ends!  :o  :icon_lol:
Thanks for the positive feedback on the new designs.

Cheers!

Vinnie

chckr

That said,  I'm going to look into possibly doing a battery supply for the Bellari phono stage.

Jrebman,

I have a Bellari now so I'd be interested in what you find out.  Don't use it much with the Sig-30 though as it adds lots of noise and hum, totally counter to the RWA sound of blackness.  :duh:  Not sure if this is totally due to the Bellari, my turntable is pretty old and need of update.   It's an old Harman-Kardon T-60 with a Shure V15 cartridge and the Bellari doesn't have quite enough gain and really needs to be turned up with the Sig-30.  Presumably batteries could reduce the hum and noise but all of it?  Guess we're a bit off topic but follow up with another post if you chase down the battery path for the Bellari.

Vinnie, good luck on your upcoming busy production schedule.   Don't forget to leave time for plenty of bedtime stories!    8)

eril

What will the voltage gain be on 30.2, 70.2
« Reply #49 on: 6 Sep 2007, 07:32 am »
And what will be the input impedance?

Thanks
Eril

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Re: What will the voltage gain be on 30.2, 70.2
« Reply #50 on: 6 Sep 2007, 12:45 pm »
And what will be the input impedance?

Thanks
Eril

Hi Eril,

The version with the volume control will be 20k input impedance.

The version without the volume control is approx 100k input impedance.

Best regards,

Vinnie

miklorsmith

Any custom options for gain in the non-volume-controlled version?  Us hi-eff guys don't need as much.   :D

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Any custom options for gain in the non-volume-controlled version?  Us hi-eff guys don't need as much.   :D

Hi miklorsmith,

I am going to offer the power amp version with an option for higher gain (32dB... great for use with passive preamps or for the version with the built-in passive stepped attenuator volume control) and lower gain (24dB... great for those who are using active preamps with a lot of gain, or for those who have high-efficiency speakers and don't need as much gain).

This will be the case for both the 30.2 and 70.2 models...

Thanks for your post,

Vinnie

spostva

• The Music Never Stopped
Vinnie,
How 'bout modding the Omega/Sig 30?
I guess the "partial mod" would be the ticket.
Mike
 :drool:
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2007, 07:22 pm by spostva »

onemug

Vinnie,
Mike

I asked Vinnie about this exact thing a few days ago. Yes the partial can be done to the "wood bodied" Omega/Sig 30. He is not sure if there is enough room inside for the "smart module". He'll have to get one first.

Flashman

• Devialet Expert 220 Pro and Vivd Oval 1.5s
Vinnie,

I don't think this has been asked: how would the 30.2 compare to the current 70?  Reason I ask is that I have a 30 and a buddy of mine has a pair of 70s, so for me it could be decent real-world test of the upgrades.  We might be talking apples and oranges here but thought I would test the water, so to speak.

all best, Michael

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Vinnie,
Mike

I asked Vinnie about this exact thing a few days ago. Yes the partial can be done to the "wood bodied" Omega/Sig 30. He is not sure if there is enough room inside for the "smart module". He'll have to get one first.

Yes, I can DEFINITELY do the partial upgrade for the Omega Sig 30 and can *probably* do the SMART module upgrade, but the push-button switch for it would be in the same location as the toggle switch for the Omega Sig 30 because I can't drill out the front of the wood enclosure (well, I could, but it wouldn't be pretty  :oops:).  Of course, since you wouldn't be getting the new front and rear panels with the Omega Sig 30 full upgrade, it would be less than $1000.... probably more like $850.

Vinnie,

I don't think this has been asked: how would the 30.2 compare to the current 70?  Reason I ask is that I have a 30 and a buddy of mine has a pair of 70s, so for me it could be decent real-world test of the upgrades.  We might be talking apples and oranges here but thought I would test the water, so to speak.

all best, Michael

Good question!  I have to say that the 30.2 is better sounding than the 70s (although the 70s will offer more power into 4-ohm), but the upcoming 70.2s beat out the 30.2, even with an 8-ohm load (due to the added benefits of monoblock operation).

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
UPDATE:

I have all the parts in stock to perform the "Partial Update" on Signature 30 units. :hyper:

Now is a great time to send in your Signature 30 if you are interested in this upgrade, as production of the Signature 30.2 as well as the "Full Upgrade" service to Signature 30s in on schedule for late September / early October and this will affect lead-times for the upgrade. 

Right now, my turn-around time for the partial upgrade is approx. only 1 week!  8)   

Just to recap:

“The Partial Upgrade” – This will consist of performing ALL of the changes to the amplifier board to convert it to the new Signature 30.2 amplifier, as well as the new hard-wiring of the speaker outputs directly to the point-to-point wired new output filter components.  This upgrade also includes the installation of the new input signal capacitors.  After this upgrade, your Signature 30 will sound identical to the new Signature 30.2.  This upgrade service will cost $500.00 + return shipping

Here are the goals that I set out to achieve in terms of sonic improvements:

a) A warmer, and more seductive sound signature
b) Greater dimensionality
c) Added bass weight
d) Sweeter top end
e) Richer tone, without sacrificing any PRaT

Simply put, I wanted to obtain an even more musical and more SET-like sound in the midrange and top-end, and a weightier “push-pull” sound in the bass. 

Lovers of tone and musicality (lovers of what a well-designed tube amp can do) will LOVE the new sound that the Signature 30.2 offers compared to the Signature 30.  However, just like the Signature 30, the Signature 30.2 ventures into territories that SETs simply can’t compete in such as the ability to drive less efficient speakers (power!), ultra-black background (going off-the-grid with SLA battery power), dynamics, bass control and articulation, etc. 

Thanks again,

Vinnie

spostva

• The Music Never Stopped
Vinnie,
Should batteries be left in the amp when shipped to you for updates?
 :dunno:
Thanks,
Mike

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Vinnie,
Should batteries be left in the amp when shipped to you for updates?
 :dunno:
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, this is fine.

Best regards,

Vinnie