Introducing the upcoming Signature 30.2 (long, and detailed)...

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
All,

As promised, I am posting as many details of the upcoming Signature 30.2 as I have available.  Because all these details contain over the maximum allow post length, I am breaking it up into two posts (this one, immediately followed by the other).  :P

Let me begin with describing what has changed the most with the Signature 30.2… the SOUND!  :singing:

Here are the goals that I set out to achieve in terms of sonic improvements:

a) A warmer, and more seductive sound signature
b) Greater dimensionality
c) Added bass weight
d) Sweeter top end
e) Richer tone, without sacrificing any PRaT

Simply put, I wanted to obtain an even more musical and more SET-like sound in the midrange and top-end, and a weightier “push-pull” sound in the bass. 

Lovers of tone and musicality (lovers of what a well-designed tube amp can do) will LOVE the new sound that the Signature 30.2 offers compared to the Signature 30.  However, just like the Signature 30, the Signature 30.2 ventures into territories that SETs simply can’t compete in such as the ability to drive less efficient speakers (power!), ultra-black background (going off-the-grid with SLA battery power), dynamics, bass control and articulation, etc.  8)

Obtaining the new sound of the Signature 30.2 has been an extremely long and time-consuming process that has been going on for many months. :banghead:  I can’t begin to tell you all how many times I have swapped in different parts, different values of parts, going back and forth listening to many different test tracks, going back and forth with measuring equipment, and even with different speakers.  I refused to be satisfied with results that were only slightly noticeable, or results that did not meet ALL of the goals listed above that I was chasing long and hard for.  I realized that to get the results that I was looking for, I would not only have to change certain critical parts used in the Signature 30, but also the design of the input and output stages. 

Signature 30.2 Amplifier Board

The amplifier board in the Signature 30.2 has been heavily modified in order to reach the sonic goals that I have mentioned above.  Here are some of the changes:

1) New output filter design that uses all new, higher-quality components as well as all new filtering characteristics.

2) The new output filter components are now hard-wired together (point-to-point) and have the speaker output cables also hard-wired to them, thus bypassing the traces in the printed circuit board for an even shorter, cleaner signal path.

3) New PIO (paper-in-oil) input capacitors of an even higher-end grade

4) Modified input stage design, which also features higher quality parts such as resistors, dc offset pots, etc.

The Signature 30.2 and The SMART Module

The next major goal of the Signature 30.2 (following the sonic enhancements) was to make the use of the SLA battery power fool-proof  :nono:.  I am very excited to announce a new Red Wine Audio innovation that will be featured in ALL of our “off-the-grid” sealed lead-acid battery powered products and modifications going forward –

The Red Wine Audio SMART module! (SLA battery Monitoring and Auto Recharge circuiT)   

This is a small circuit board (approx 2” x 3”) that will take the place of the mechanical On/Charge toggle switch that has been used in all of our existing products. 

As detailed below, the SMART module will eliminate the concern of accidentally leaving your SLA battery powered RWA product ON and forgetting to charge it (which results in significantly reduced battery life or even ending the life of the battery, as SLA batteries do NOT like to be deeply discharged).   

Here are the detailed features of the new Red Wine Audio SMART Module:

1) Instead of using a mechanical switch to connect the SLA battery power to the load, the SMART module uses a high-current MOSFET (controlled by a small integrated circuit) to connect the SLA battery power to the load.  The battery charger is also connected to the SLA battery via a pair of high-current MOSFETs that switch on/off both Charger + and Charger GND connections.

When the product is ON and running off of the SLA battery power, both the Charger + and  Charger GND MOSFETs are OFF, so the charger is completely disconnected from the SLA battery.  This isolates the battery when the product is on and prevents any ground-loops with other mains-powered audio equipment (e.g. powered subwoofers) when charging.

2) When the product is turned ON, the battery voltage is constantly being monitored via an integrated circuit on the SMART module.  Once the battery voltage drops to a set threshold (this is set by Red Wine Audio at the factory for a 12V or 24V system), the battery will immediately be disconnected from the load (i.e., the load MOSFET turns OFF) and connected to the SLA Auto Battery Charger via a pair of the same type of MOSFETs that switch both the Charger + and Charger GND terminals to the SLA battery to begin the charge process automatically. 

3) Turning ON the Red Wine Audio product that features the SMART module is simply done by pressing a momentary switch (see Signature 30.2 Front Panel details below).  Turning OFF of the product that features the SMART module (i.e., removing the load from the battery and starting the battery charge process) is simply done by pressing and holding down the momentary switch for 1 to 2 seconds, OR as mentioned above, if the battery voltage drops to the set threshold limit while the product is left ON it will automatically turn OFF and begin the charging process.  If the charger is not connected, the SMART module will still remove the battery from the load to prevent the battery from becoming deeply discharged. 

4) When ON or OFF, the power consumption of the SMART module is extremely
low, so it draws virtually no power from the batteries.

5) The SMART module offers superb current flow from the battery to the load, as well as much enhanced reliability.  This is because that compared to the mechanical switches used in all our past designs, the high-current MOSFETs used in the SMART module feature lower turn-on resistance (in the very low milli-ohm range), and these MOSFETs do not have mechanical switch contacts that wear out and degrade over time. 

6) The SMART module will be available towards the end of next month (September) and the first new Red Wine Audio product that will feature it will be the Signature 30.2

Signature 30.2 SLA Battery Charger

We will also be using a special battery charger that has been modified to work flawlessly with the SMART module, and that offers improvements to previous battery chargers that we have used in the past:

1) Output of 24V, 2A.  This will charge 4X faster than the standard charger that was included with the Signature 30.  :hyper:  This new charger will be controlled by the SMART module.

2) This new charger also features a beefy, aluminum XLR plug for a very secure connection to the Signature 30.2 (see rear panel details below).

3) This new charger also features an IEC mains power jack, and universal input voltage so it can work anywhere in the world (100 – 240Vac, 50/60Hz).  No special “overseas” charger will be required.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Signature 30.2 Aesthetic Changes…Front Panel and Rear Panel:

While greatly refined sound quality and fool-proof SLA battery powered operation were our primary goals of the Signature 30.2, another design goal was to refine the built quality and aesthetics of the enclosure used.  Below are details of the changes to the front and rear panels:

Signature 30.2 Front Panel:

1) The new front panel design that will be machined out of 0.50” thick solid aluminum (as opposed to the Signature 30’s 0.1875” thick front panel). 

2) The new front panel will feature a smoother, higher-quality finish than the Signature 30.

3) It will be black anodized and laser etched.  The location and size of the text will be different (See "concept photo" below).

4) The four socket-head machine screws that were visible on the Signature 30 front panel will not be on the Signature 30.2 front panel.  We decided to have the screws attached from behind the front panel for a cleaner, more refined appearance.

5) We will be using a more elegant looking knob that will be machined aluminum and will feature a satin-silver finish (shiny black anodized version of this knob is available upon special request for a “black stealth” front panel appearance  :green:).

6) A round, black-anodized NON-mechanical "touch sensing" switch will be built into the new front panel design on the left side (mount flush with the front panel for a seamless look).  A beautiful red LED will also be built into this switch and will be located above the center of the switch.  When you touch the switch to turn on the product, the red LED above your finger will turn ON and glow a smooth, gorgeous red color.  When you touch and hold down the switch for 1 to 2 seconds to turn OFF the product, the red LED above your finger will turn OFF so you'll know that the product has been turned OFF. 

7) A small remote control sensor window will be machined into the front panel for the Signature 30.2 version that will include a volume control (see options below).

Signature 30.2 Rear Panel:

1) The Signature 30.2 will also feature a completely redesigned rear panel.  In order to minimize the signal paths to the RCA jacks and speaker posts, we will be locating the RCA jacks on one side and the speaker posts on the other side.  There will no longer be an ON/Charge toggle switch on the rear panel as we are using a special touch-sensing switch to turn on the new SMART module, and this switch will be built into the front panel (see above).

2) The speaker binding posts will be upgraded to much higher quality Vampire posts.

3) The RCA jacks used will also be made by Vampire

4) A new charger jack will be used.  It will be a female XLR jack to be used with a new 24V charger (as described above).

5) All jacks on the new rear panel will be labeled with laser etching

Signature 30.2 Pricing and Options

The Signature 30.2 will be available in two different configurations:

1) “Integrated Version” ($2500.00) with built-in precision stepped attenuator volume control by Goldpoint (www.goldpt.com) AND remote control unit.

2) “Power Amp Version” ($2100.00) will have no volume control and will require the use of an active preamp (e.g. The Isabella!  :wink:) or passive preamp before it.  The front panel will not be machined for the volume control knob or remote control sensor window, but otherwise will look identical to the Integrated Version of the Signature 30.2.  There will be an option for higher gain (32dB... great for use with passive preamps or for the version with the built-in passive stepped attenuator volume control) and lower gain (24dB... great for those who are using active preamps with a lot of gain, or for those who have high-efficiency speakers and don't need as much gain).

Upgrade options for Signature 30 owners to convert to the Signature 30.2

I consider it very important to offer upgrade options to all my loyal Signature 30 customers.  This way, they will not be forced to sell their Signature 30 in order to obtain a Signature 30.2.  I also realize that for some, the only upgrade to their Signature 30 that they are interested in is obtaining the new Signature 30.2 sound, OR, they just do not have the budget to go "all-the-way" at this time to a Signature 30.2.  As a result, I am offering two upgrade options for Signature 30 customers (no matter if you purchased your Signature 30 from Red Wine Audio, a Red Wine Audio dealer, or on the used market).

1) “The Partial Upgrade” – This will consist of performing ALL of the changes to the amplifier board to convert it to the new Signature 30.2 amplifier, as well as the new hard-wiring of the speaker outputs directly to the point-to-point wired new output filter components.  This upgrade also includes the installation of the new input signal capacitors.  After this upgrade, your Signature 30 will sound identical to the new Signature 30.2.  This upgrade service will cost $500.00 + return shipping

2) “The Complete Upgrade” – This consists of the following:

a) New front and rear panel installation along with the new knob, posts, jacks, etc.
b) SMART module installation
c) Amplifier board upgrades

After The Complete Upgrade, your Signature 30 will be fully converted to the Signature 30.2… They will look identical, sound identical, and have identical features.  This upgrade service will cost $1000.00 + return shipping. 

NOTE: All the Signature 30 units came with a high-quality, precision stepped-attenuator volume control.  With the Full Upgrade, you have the choice of having your Signature 30 converted into a Signature 30.2 power amp (with no volume control) or Signature 30.2 with volume control.  For an extra $300 ($1300 total), I can convert it to a Signature 30.2 with the remote volume control.  In other words, you are not forced to purchase the remote volume control if you send in your Signature 30 for the Signature 30.2 Full Upgrade Package.

Replacement of batteries -- With either upgrade package listed above, we will also offer you the option of having your batteries replaced.  Add $75.

Availability of the new Signature 30.2 and upgrade services

1) We anticipate the start production of the Signature 30.2 in early-October of this year (just weeks away!).  Please keep in mind that there is always the chance of delays in getting parts from our vendors, but even if there was an unexpected delay, it should not be substantial. 

2) Regarding upgrades, The Partial Upgrade will be able to be performed in approx 2 weeks (mid-September).  The Complete Upgrade will not be available until the time we going into production of the Signature 30.2 (see above).

Pictured above is just a “concept photo” of the Siganture 30.2 that shows an Adobe Photoshopped Signature 30 that has been made to look similar to what the new Signature 30.2 will look like.  Please keep in mind that the actual Signature 30.2 will look much better (especially the touch-sensitive power switch), but we won’t be able to take pictures of it until we have all the parts to start production.  I hope to be able to post a rear-panel concept photo soon as well...

Closing Comments:

First and foremost, I want to thank all my Red Wine Audio customers (past, present, and future) for your continued interest and support! :beer: 

We have grown in the last two years we have been in business and promise to continue to offer our customers new and innovative products with totally unique and unmatched sound quality, build quality, value, as well as customer service. 

With regards to the Signature 30.2, we believe that it will set a new standard in its price class and win over many music lovers who make the effort to experience it (and the 30-day trial policy will still hold)... assuming that 30 very clean watts RMS per channel will suite their needs. 

Please stay tuned for details of the upcoming Signature 70.2s (which will be very similar to the Signature 30.2, but a Monoblock version that offers twice the maximum output current) and The Isabella.  aa

Thanks again,

Vinnie Rossi
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2007, 02:31 pm by Vinnie R. »

slwiser

Vinnie

I still think you need a on-off switch or some way to reset the system when the internal brain glitches other than unplugging the unit.

Otherwise the whole setup looks like a real winner.  The Isabella will allow for more flexibility for some. This is a great ideal. 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Vinnie

I still think you need a on-off switch or some way to reset the system when the internal brain glitches other than unplugging the unit.

Otherwise the whole setup looks like a real winner.  The Isabella will allow for more flexibility for some. This is a great ideal. 

Hi slwiser,

Thanks for your post!

I do not wish to add a mechanical switch to the power path, and one does not need to wait for the "internal brain" (a.k.a. SMART module) to shut down... you can simply use the power button on the front panel to turn OFF instead of waiting for the battery voltage to reach its threshold (and this is recommend).  No need for concern about glitches... this design is rock solid!  :weights:

Otherwise the whole setup looks like a real winner.  The Isabella will allow for more flexibility for some. This is a great idea

Thanks... I haven't posted details of the Isabella yet, but they will come soon and will be very cool  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Thanks again,

Vinnie

Toka

:bowdown:

Can't add anything more than that...

Zero

Can't wait to get my ear on this Vinnie. That image will be Puuurfect for Sept. 26th.

Congrats and once again - cheers to better sound!

marklivia

Vin, if a guy already has the remote volume, does it still cost a grand to upgrade? Doesn't seem quite fair :bawl:

studley

Vinnie
Assuming there will also be an upgrade option to 70.2 for 70 owners, will I have to send my amps to you in the US or will I be able to get the upgrade done in the UK by Angelsound?

Cheers
ian

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Vin, if a guy already has the remote volume, does it still cost a grand to upgrade? Doesn't seem quite fair :bawl:

Hi Mark,

I apologize for not clarifying... If you already have the remote volume control, the Full Package upgrade is $1000.00.  If you don't have a remote option and would like it to be added during the upgrade process, this will add $300.00 to the cost (just like it does with the Signature 30 models).

You can also get the Full Package upgrade to the "Power Amp Version," where I would remove the volume control from your Signature 30 and use the new Signature 30.2 front panel that does not have the holes drilled for the volume control and remote sensor.  However, the cost says the same. 

Also, once the Signature 30.2 is in production, the Signature 30 will be discontinued.

Vinnie
Assuming there will also be an upgrade option to 70.2 for 70 owners, will I have to send my amps to you in the US or will I be able to get the upgrade done in the UK by Angelsound?

Cheers
ian

Hi Ian,

Yes, there WILL be an upgrade option for the Signature 70 owners to convert to the Signature 70.2 and the details and options will be similar.  This will be posted soon as well.  The Signature 70 will have to be sent to Red Wine Audio for the upgrade.

Best regards,

Vinnie

OrJazzM

Hi Vinnie, what will be the lead times for the upgrades?  I'm hoping not more than a week  :green:
Also will the footers also be upgraded?  Mine seem to fall off anytime I have to move the amp :(

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Hi Vinnie, what will be the lead times for the upgrades?  I'm hoping not more than a week  :green:
Also will the footers also be upgraded?  Mine seem to fall off anytime I have to move the amp :(

Hi OrJazzM,

Yes, I anticipate being able to carry out the upgrade within a week from when I receive your unit.

The footers have also been upgraded (thanks for reminding me) to ones with a larger diameter and taller (to lift the unit a little higher up), and they are much more sturdy and won't come loose on ya!  :)

Even if you go with the Partial Upgrade, I can install the new feet for you because they are a lot better and all units should have them.

-Vinnie

acd483

• www.anthonydumville.com
Vinnie,

When will you post all the relevant technical specs on the 30.2? Specifically, frequency response, distortion, etc.

Actually, I'd love to see a raw data comparison of the 30 v. 30.2

P.S. It's your decision, but from a graphic designer's point of view the typography on the front plate is overwhelming
your simplistic look. I would scale it back, the owner knows what he's bought and doesn't need to be reminded every time
he looks at it!

jrebman

P.S. It's your decision, but from a graphic designer's point of view the typography on the front plate is overwhelming
your simplistic look. I would scale it back, the owner knows what he's bought and doesn't need to be reminded every time
he looks at it!

Have to say I agree with this -- even if I can't see it.  Many friends who have seen the 70s have asked why it says all that on the front -- and "what does it mean" :D

-- Jim

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor

he looks at it!

Have to say I agree with this -- even if I can't see it.  Many friends who have seen the 70s have asked why it says all that on the front -- and "what does it mean" :D

-- Jim

Hi Jim,

No problem... Centered above the volume control is says "Red Wine Audio" and centered below the volume control it says "Signature 30.2" and that is it... no other text. 

Hi acd483,

The text "Red Wine Audio" will be a little smaller that what is shown.  I really like the new look of the front panel and don't find the typography to be overwhelming at all, but I understand that this is a matter of taste  :wink:

When will you post all the relevant technical specs on the 30.2? Specifically, frequency response, distortion, etc.

Actually, I'd love to see a raw data comparison of the 30 v. 30.2

While I don't plan on posting any detailed graphs that show FR and distortion characteristics, I will post specifications on the upcoming Signature 30.2 webpage in a similar fashion to the current Signature 30 website.

Right off the bat, here is what I know:

Power output - 30 watts per channel into 8-ohms at THD+N of 0.04%
Input impedance (with volume control) - 20k
Input impedance (without volume control) - approx. 100k
Input sensitivity - approx. 0.5Vrms
DC offset voltage - hand tuned to no larger than +/- 5mV
Battery power - 24V, 5Ah (two 12V 5Ah SLAs in series)
Battery charger - 24V, 2A.  Input voltage 100 - 240Vac, 50/60Hz with IEC input jack
Dimenions and weight - to be determined ... similar dimesions to the Signature 30, and a little more weight

The rest of the story can be told by listening  :banana piano:

Best regards,

Vinnie

jrebman

Vinnie,

Cool.  Sounds great, and I'm sure it "sounds" great too.

-- Jim

ndpjr

Vinnie,
   Even more of an SET sound with 30 watts. That sounds great. The Signature-30 sounds wonderful as it is, but with the SMART module and even more SET sound I will definitely send my Sig-30 in for the complete upgrade. You never disappoint.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Vinnie,
   Even more of an SET sound with 30 watts. That sounds great. The Signature-30 sounds wonderful as it is, but with the SMART module and even more SET sound I will definitely send my Sig-30 in for the complete upgrade. You never disappoint.

Hi ndpjr,

Thanks for your post... I PROMISE you that you'll LOVE the sound of the Signature 30.2 and I can't wait t upgrade ya and hear your impressions  :D

Thanks again,

Vinnie

studley

Vinnie

Many people think (me included) that passive TVC "preamps" are superior to other volume controls, including the DACT.  Therefore I would think that going for the power amp version, thereby removing the DACT from the signal path, and replacing it with a TVC would, in itself, be an upgrade.   Any experience or thoughts on this?

Regards
Ian

acd483

• www.anthonydumville.com
While I don't plan on posting any detailed graphs that show FR and distortion characteristics, I will post specifications on the upcoming Signature 30.2 webpage in a similar fashion to the current Signature 30 website.

Right off the bat, here is what I know:

Power output - 30 watts per channel into 8-ohms at THD+N of 0.04%
Input impedance (with volume control) - 20k
Input impedance (without volume control) - approx. 100k
Input sensitivity - approx. 0.5Vrms
DC offset voltage - hand tuned to no larger than +/- 5mV
Battery power - 24V, 5Ah (two 12V 5Ah SLAs in series)
Battery charger - 24V, 2A.  Input voltage 100 - 240Vac, 50/60Hz with IEC input jack
Dimenions and weight - to be determined ... similar dimesions to the Signature 30, and a little more weight

The rest of the story can be told by listening  :banana piano:

Best regards,

Vinnie

I can't see why you wouldn't. I very much would want to know how the data points to sonic
differences between the two. Quite frankly Vinnie, distortion graphs and FR are par for the course,
especially when charging $2500.

macrojack

• Restricted
The designer needs measurements. The buyer only needs to listen. If it sounds good to you, listen and enjoy.
I can't imagine that any graph would substitute for, or enhance, that experience.

After all, do you need a recipe to enjoy a meal?