Re: Adding REL subwoofer to 2B—LP

SHXMD

« on: 18 Oct 2023, 03:36 pm »
Hello all!

Received my updated 2B—LP from Bryston and it sounds great with a pair of Magnapan LRS+.

Unfortunately going to need to add a subwoofer (I knew it was a possibility).

Will add a REL Tzero MKIII or T/5x as need a little help in the 40-75 Hz region.

I wanted to check with the experts here to make sure wiring the sub to the R & L speaker outputs was acceptable on the same line output as the active speaker cables. Particularly with the dual mono amp configuration.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.

S

Phil A

« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2023, 06:49 pm »
The Rel manuals (I have Rels for over 20 years) have hook-up instructions and it should work fine. Keep in mind everyone’s room is different (as far as speaker response) and bass frequencies sun so you want to set the Rel crossover just below where your mains drip off. So I’d advise measuring. Studio Six Digital makes an app for a smart phone or tablet (believe they have a free version too) and a mic with a calibration file can be bought at Parts Express (model IMM-6) for around $21

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2023, 07:58 pm »
Here is the App I was referring to - https://www.studiosixdigital.com/audiotools-modules-2/     The RTA, along with pink noise (there are places to download it) along with a mic for a tablet or smart phone (e.g. https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/1117/imm-6-idevice-calibrated-measurement-microphone) is helpful in measuring the response at the listening position.

SHXMD

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2023, 02:09 am »
Hello and thanks for your responses!

I was going to follow the REL recommendations/videos but I wanted reconfirmation that I was not going to short the Amp. The wrapped wires are very close. Nonetheless I did follow the Recs and nothing blew up or caught on fire.

I then tried to sync the woofer and became frustrated after following the excellent advice of both REL and PS audio.

However, the Ear, Nose and Throat doctor suggested that with both my Eustachian tubes shut and one eardrum not working that I might wait till my allergies come under control.

Cannot wait so I will follow your suggestions so I can SEE the results. Down the next rabbit hole!

All of the necessary components are enroute I think-under 100 dollars so cannot complain.

One last question. The tool’s software suggests it has a pink noise generator to do sweeps. Is this correct? And is it adequate? (You suggested downloading off Internet)

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to respond!

S

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2023, 03:18 pm »
There's plenty of places to download pink noise (and of course how one plays it back is dependent on their system - e.g. file playback vs. disc playback) -

https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_pinknoise.php

https://www.arcaudio.com/post/pink-noise-test-track

among many others

SHXMD

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2023, 04:04 pm »
Hello!

Checking back as your advise so far has been excellent .

First synched the sub using the REL method but not satisfied.
Second used the Paul McGowan method and liked the result.

Then set-up testing gear using method proscribed with Tidal Pink noise generator.
Curve overall looked great which is not surprising since really near field. The only real problem was a 60hz bump.

Adjusted REL in all parameters and then realized bump coming from somewhere else.

Turned  sequentially sub/stereo/video-shut down room. 60 hz still present.. Go to garage gone.
Located source as audible hum coming from refrigerator which is adjacent to family room and stereo.

Room treatment will not fly with wife.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks again!

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2023, 02:22 am »
Curve overall looked great which is not surprising since really near field. The only real problem was a 60hz bump.

Adjusted REL in all parameters and then realized bump coming from somewhere else.

Turned  sequentially sub/stereo/video-shut down room. 60 hz still present.. Go to garage gone.
Located source as audible hum coming from refrigerator which is adjacent to family room and stereo.

Room treatment will not fly with wife.

Any further thoughts?

Try the DiversiTech E.V.A. Anti-Vibration Pad before buying a new refridgerator

Around $1.00 each, available everywhere

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140958.msg1502596#msg1502596

SHXMD

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2023, 04:27 am »
Very interesting response.

Not sure if hum is vibration or motor.

Will pull out refrig to clean and assess origin.

Will turn off to finalize origin.

The refrigerator should be on rollers (very small area) so will probably not be able to use these without metal plate.

Thanks for the information. Will buy them for stereo anyway!

Happy Holidays!