Looking for some Visaton plans

SteveRB

Looking for some Visaton plans
« on: 7 Feb 2013, 07:23 pm »
Hello,

I have a pair of Visaton B200's that need a new home. I was hoping that someone had plans for enclosures that I could build. I was hoping along the lines of the discontinued Omega Aperiodic 8.

Thanks

wagnju

SteveRB

Re: Looking for some Visaton plans
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2013, 08:32 pm »
yeah,

I've been all over that site. The box plans have no dimensions and no xo info. I Understand that they have specific commercial interests and I don't want to step on any toes. I'm just looking for a decent 'tried and true' enclosure plan. these drivers were really popular a few years back. I thought it would be pretty simple to find a 'stock' enclosure for them.

I like these drivers and would love to build a small bedroom system around them.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2013, 09:15 pm »
When i do up my B200 i plan on doing something based on the work Joe Rasmussen shows here:

http://www.customanalogue.com/tlcl_speaker.htm

dave
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2013, 11:04 pm by planet10 »

wagnju

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2013, 09:33 pm »
yeah,

I've been all over that site. The box plans have no dimensions and no xo info.  :scratch:

http://www.visaton.de/en/bauvorschlaege/breitband/solo100/bauanleitung.html

There are dimensions (sketch )and XO schematics for each kit . On the right side click on construction and it will show you XO on the bottom and all dimensions you need . Dimensions are all in mm  :green:

SteveRB

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2013, 09:38 pm »
wagnju,

thanks, i really missed all that...

SteveRB

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2013, 09:46 pm »
still,

i'm looking for a smaller footprint... the omega box looks pretty decently sized. Specs say it gets down to 45Hz, which is decent for my smaller room (and similar to the solo50).

Also read that it can be run with a few modifications and no XO... I have lived with the B200's in OB for a couple years with out a XO and I do like the sound. I know it's not perfect, but I find it enjoyable.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2013, 10:17 pm »

SteveRB

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2013, 10:24 pm »
hmmm,

doing a bit more research and detective work. The Omegas are 11" w x 14.5" d x 20" h made with 3/4" material, with a few braces, makes it about 36L. the boxes have 2 scan speak vents. I have no idea as to the details for mounting the driver or the vents.

I did find an Australian who built a similar enclosure but with a rear vent, not Aperiodic. He also used a small circuit; as I mentioned the Omegas have no XO. I'm not sure what the differences in sound would be between the two enclosure versions...

SteveRB

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2013, 10:25 pm »
The A8s were 20" x 11" x 14.5" and used 2 of these: http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/flares/ports/vents/scanspeak-290001-aperiodic-vent-ssv/

Thanks, you posted as I was typing...

Ar the vent locations critical? Driver location critical?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2013, 11:05 pm »
I did find an Australian who built a similar enclosure but with a rear vent, not Aperiodic....

Are you talking about Joe's as linked above? It is aperiodic.

dave

SteveRB

« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2013, 11:07 pm »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2013, 11:32 pm »
Are the vent locations critical? Driver location critical?

Not sure, you usually see the vent mounted the opposite of the driver, ie the driver high and the vents low or vise versa.

I would recommend a search on "aperiodic vent" if you haven't done so already.

FWIW A long time ago I put mine in a 3 cu ft box and while they sounded okay I feel they beg to be used ob and there are a vast number of fullrange drivers that work much, much better in a box.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2013, 11:42 pm »
That one is just weird. Cabinet as auxilury bass radiator. All that work and he didn't bother rebating the driver?

The filter looks like BSC.

dave

SteveRB

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2013, 11:52 pm »

FWIW A long time ago I put mine in a 3 cu ft box and while they sounded okay I feel they beg to be used ob and there are a vast number of fullrange drivers that work much, much better in a box.

I had they OB for a couple years and they worked great. I've moved up a bit since then (GR Research) for my main system. I have the B200's packed away right now... I was looking for a decent enclosure to get these back up and running... I'm pushing for a bedroom system right now. Small room, near field, and low cash investment... nothing is cheaper than using what I already have...

That one is just weird. Cabinet as auxilury bass radiator. All that work and he didn't bother rebating the driver?

Yeah, seemed a bit weird. The guy seems highly thought of in his community and the rest of his system is right up my alley. I'm not too sure if I will go this route -- I'm less interested in a ported version just because of placement in room.

When I build them, I'll probably end up lending them out to friends for fun and conversation.

SteveRB

« Reply #15 on: 8 Feb 2013, 01:15 am »

dave

his design would perform pretty similar to the Hoyt Bedford designs I would think, with the large shallow port...

http://www.hoytbedfordspeakers.com/cabinets.html

http://www.hoytbedfordspeakers.com/type1monitor.html

Perhaps a design with a large vent that could be: open, sealed, or restricted could be interesting...

...or a train wreak.

SteveRB

« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2013, 01:32 am »
OK, please see attached first draft of my enclosure. After getting a few pointers from Louis at Omega, I have drafted this based on the Omega A8 dimensions.

The driver will be run without any crossover -- the driver had a phase plug from Planet 10.

See attached link for reviewed finished speakers:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine3/system.html

I was hoping to have a couple people more educated then myself to chime in on the basic design. I'd hate to make an obvious rookie error. I won't be starting this project until March, so no rush. The basic enclosure has a 2-ply front baffle for strength and screw depth. The driver is recessed into the front baffle. There is a single H-Brace with holes mounted below the centre of the enclosure. The vents are evenly spaced on the rear.

Thanks again for looking.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2013, 01:48 am »
OK, please see attached first draft of my enclosure. After getting a few pointers from Louis at Omega, I have drafted this based on the Omega A8 dimensions.

The driver will be run without any crossover -- the driver had a phase plug from Planet 10.

See attached link for reviewed finished speakers:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine3/system.html

I was hoping to have a couple people more educated then myself to chime in on the basic design. I'd hate to make an obvious rookie error. I won't be starting this project until March, so no rush. The basic enclosure has a 2-ply front baffle for strength and screw depth. The driver is recessed into the front baffle. There is a single H-Brace with holes mounted below the centre of the enclosure. The vents are evenly spaced on the rear.

Thanks again for looking.

This speaker use a similar aperiodic project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anGQEQ7JB1c
Or looks to be the very same.

SteveRB

« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2013, 01:58 am »
This speaker use a similar aperiodic project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anGQEQ7JB1c
Or looks to be the very same.

I checked out those speakers. the plans are linked above. His design is an open vent at the back not Aperiodic. Interestingly though, the surface area of the opening on his design and on the A8 (2x vents) are nearly the same!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2013, 02:34 am »
Looks aperiodic to me, on time 1:34 to 1:38 you see the holes are covered inside with a white foam.
What call my attention is this video is it is very well made and even the room is decorated to favor the equips.
It looks a audio shop not a home.