Beacon Two Preamplifier & LH-1 Cable tour: Impressions & Reviews

Mariusz

Mariusz

Hi,

How does Beacon 2 compare with your custom preamp ?

Scary close.  :wink:
I could easily live with it.
Differences in bass, air and buddy were most noticeable.  Beacon Two might not exactly have the same weight, body or  air around the notes but it can match it with speed, transparency and dynamics.  But it's hard to say how it will sound in your system? IMO, synergy is very important.  And like with most tube gear, tube selection can greatly influence the sound characteristics of any component. 
Beacon came with NOS RCA 6SN7 tubes which are pretty standard (sound-wise) and inexpensive tube.  My preamp uses Raytheons all around. 

Mariusz

Anand

I do not know crap about circuit design and I could not help you with figuring out details about my preamp. But I'll be happy to post some pics of its guts if it is OK with Blair. 
As to circuitry in Beacon Two.
I am sure Blair can answer that. 
It was an interesting compareson  between these  completely different designs.   :thumb:

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
Thanks Mariusz, well explained.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Hello all-

The Beacon Two uses a Single Ended Parallel (SEP) tube configuration. Both triodes are combined to make one large triode. The result is a high performance circuit that uses very few parts. I won't get into too many specifics.  Wink2

It is a well thought out design and performs the way it does because there are so few components. I've always been one of those people to look at something made with 100 components and say, "That can possibly be improved upon and at the same time be made with 25 components". Remember, fewer components dramatically improves longevity by decreasing the probability of failure. A nice perk!

Your present photos are very good, extreme closeups are not required or necessary. Thanks for asking!

Your review is very well thought out. Thanks!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Hello all-

The Beacon Two uses a Single Ended Parallel (SEP) tube configuration. Both triodes are combined to make one large triode. The result is a high performance circuit that uses very few parts. I won't get into too many specifics.  Wink2

It is a well thought out design and performs the way it does because there are so few components. I've always been one of those people to look at something made with 100 components and say, "That can possibly be improved upon and at the same time be made with 25 components". Remember, fewer components dramatically improves longevity by decreasing the probability of failure. A nice perk!

Very, very cool!

And Mariusz, I'll ask you offline since its not exactly pertinent to the review!

Thanks!

Anand.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
A word about frequency response: This preamp was designed to be flat from 20-20,000hz. No part of the spectrum is accented or attenuated.

Forgot something: The power supply does not use a choke. It uses resistor coupling. A choke is not necessary with this design nor would it improve anything- that is why I do not offer it as an upgrade.

What kind of upgrades would the audience and reviewers like to see? Keep in mind the price point when adding bells & whistles.  The standard configuration uses all high quality components that would be difficult to upgrade or to justify the cost of doing so. Regardless, suggestions are welcome. In fact, many cosmetic upgrades were due to the opinions of AC members!  :thumb:

Mariusz

1st of all - Thank You Blair for this opportunity
2nd - it was a pleasure and worthy experience
3th - you certainly deserve more exposure. Your stuff sounds awefuly good.

No close up pics of Beacon - I was thinking of snapping few pics of my own preamp to show the differences in design and complexity. 
But I can certainly send my preamp's details via PM to whoever is interested.

As in most cases
this review is flawed ....... just like any other review (amateur or professional)
But it should give anyone an idea of what to expect from Niteshade Audio Beacon Two preamp. 

I can not help you if you like more salt or pepper in your food but I can tell you that Beacon isn't overcooked or undercooked but (for my taste) it is just right.
(Beacon is great, just add Eggs and Coffee)
Mariusz

poseidonsvoice

(Beacon is great, just add Eggs and Coffee)
Mariusz

:lol: You can always tell us what brand of eggs and coffee you like....especially since several million eggs at the moment are on a recall... :lol:

AC'ers want to get ultimate enjoyment out of their Beacons...

Anand.

poseidonsvoice

A word about frequency response: This preamp was designed to be flat from 20-20,000hz. No part of the spectrum is accented or attenuated.

Yes, but not sure what you mean by that. Most *modern* linestage preamps are designed to be flat in that range. In fact, most extend far beyond that range, even those with tube topologies.

Forgot something: The power supply does not use a choke. It uses resistor coupling. A choke is not necessary with this design nor would it improve anything- that is why I do not offer it as an upgrade.

My bad, I realized after posting that there wasn't a power transformer on top of the enclosure, so obviously the fella within the enclosure was a HV transformer.

What kind of upgrades would the audience and reviewers like to see? Keep in mind the price point when adding bells & whistles.  The standard configuration uses all high quality components that would be difficult to upgrade or to justify the cost of doing so. Regardless, suggestions are welcome. In fact, many cosmetic upgrades were due to the opinions of AC members!  :thumb:

Well, that is difficult to answer only because you have already said that the standard unit uses 'high quality components' and that it is 'difficult to upgrade or to justify the cost.' I think the second part is the crux of the argument especially being a manufacturer. Is that more expensive coupling capacitor really worth it? Especially after the markup? I believe different topologies will respond to tweaking differently and the only way to tell is to build, listen, measure and repeat. You seem to have already done that. All you've got left now is the looks! And I think it looks fine, if you are into 1950's industrial art  :thumb: Fully wooden enclosures are a cool option as well but $$$...

Anand.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
The response is wider than 20-20,000hz, but I guarantee flatness within that range. It is flat before and after that to guarantee the audible range is in spec.

I'm VERY big on circuit upgrades, but not component upgrades. A circuit is designed so that all components work perfectly together. As a result, I see no reason to modify things. It takes allot of time and money to determine what works best together to eliminate the need for upgrades.

The circuit is perfected in my mind, so this model doesn't offer any circuit upgrades. In the future, a transformer coupled output for the retail line may be seen and that will offer several more options. 

You're right about the wood enclosure: It would be very expensive due to being outsourced. I am working on an aluminum faceplate for an aesthetic option.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Re: Beacon Two Preamplifier & LH-1 Cable tour
« Reply #51 on: 4 Sep 2010, 11:31 am »
Let us know when you get her hooked up!

Future reviewers on this list: When you get the preamp, please tell us when it has been received. It is a formality, but it sets up a time reference so the next person will know approximately when the review begins and will end.

The tour schedule is on the first page.

Thank You Blair for including me on this tour. 
Looking forward to it. 

Ritchie

dangerbird

Great review and pics,,can anyone update me/us on the disposition of the pre? Reason I ask,I was hoping to have it in time for an audio fest held each year and demo it in my rig for the group(Sept 10-20th). Just curious,,and thanks again sir for allowing us to have this opportunity.

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
Hi guys

My very deeply apologizes to every one for not let you guys know,that Polish mail man deliver Preamp at this Thursday.Then my other costume build Preamp was little lost in space and time,so I did spend all Friday to looking for him.Well,good thing about that is that I will do not need to much to explain more about unit,because Mariusz complete review.I will throw some my thoughts and pictures,but after so many systems and fifteen years working with Mariusz I did found out that we have very close taste for lot of things.I will for sure make some pictures also I have nice interconnect cables for testing from two deferent companies.Let me know if is anybody interested in shot down the best.(but that will be only all in my opinion and that is something with my personal taste)                         Cheers Ritchie

dangerbird

Hey-- have fun--post some pic's and initial impresions if you get an opportunity--thanks,and have fun,,eh,, I said that didn't I  8)

Mariusz

:lol: You can always tell us what brand of eggs and coffee you like....especially since several million eggs at the moment are on a recall... :lol:

AC'ers want to get ultimate enjoyment out of their Beacons...

Anand.

True, there are reports of some questionable eggs but there is nothing wrong with this chick.
But keep in mind that my lab and instruments might not be up to government standards.  :wink:

I also noticed your understandable inquiry about upgrade possibilities. 
It certainly is a valid point.  Circuit is so simple with very few component parts that it should be (IMO) fairly easy to experiment and hear various parts swap influence the sound.
But that's something to think about for those more advance tweakers.  Regular guy who is looking for plug&play solution doesn't have to worry about it,......because it will make him smile as soon as it is taken out of the box.   

In my evaluation, I tried to keep the  balance and price ratio between all components.
Amps were purchased (used) for around the price of Beacon preamp. CD is around 6-7 hundred. Speakers ? Let's say that drivers cost around $400 a pair. My total cost for speakers was around $425 but........ If I used some really fancy hook-up wire and exotic veneer and binding posts, we could easily be looking at 2Gs :duh: :lol: 

poseidonsvoice

I also noticed your understandable inquiry about upgrade possibilities. 
It certainly is a valid point.  Circuit is so simple with very few component parts that it should be (IMO) fairly easy to experiment and hear various parts swap influence the sound.
But that's something to think about for those more advance tweakers.  Regular guy who is looking for plug&play solution doesn't have to worry about it,......because it will make him smile as soon as it is taken out of the box.   

I never started a thread regarding upgrade possibilities. Only Blair did. So I answered and reasoned that there are infinite ways to upgrade from a component parts standpoint and that decision was left to the designer. Of course any component upgrades should only be done after you are happy with the performance of the circuit. Any advice regarding circuit upgrades cannot be given, since the only thing we know about the circuit is that it is a single ended parallel design. Without a schematic, one cannot comment about "circuit upgrades." Blair states that the circuit is perfected however, he wanted advice regarding 'upgrades' but warned that bells and whistles would increase the price. About the only thing I can think of is a remote as a bell & whistle type of upgrade and of course a wooden enclosure.

Best,
Anand.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Sorry about that- the whole upgrade thing was my fault. First I ask for suggestions then state it doesn't require upgrades.  :duh:

After the tour, we may see a pattern of things to improve.  :D

Looks like the tour is going to have a slightly different route for Dangerbird. Ritchie, you'll have to get the Beacon Two & LH-1's over to Dangerbird so he can have it for their group meeting. I think it will work out fine if you can ship it on or before the 13th. I'll provide the shipping address. After that, the schedule will go according to the list.

dangerbird

Guys-- I'm leaving on the 10th-- so if it does not work out,thats how it goes,, no worries,, I'll be back on the 20th--thanks

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Oh! You'll need it by the 8th or 9th. I thought people were coming to your place. I will get back to you. He may have to ship it early and then you ship it back to him. I will pay the extra shipping expense for the added trip. I don't want it to miss your meeting or to cheat someone of their time. Let me see what can be done.

Guys-- I'm leaving on the 10th-- so if it does not work out,thats how it goes,, no worries,, I'll be back on the 20th--thanks