For you who are following the LS-6/LS-9 thread on av123 forum...

Brucemck

Danny, thanks .... two more questions ....

What would you do for a center channel if you had 9s to the left and right, and your (amazing!) surrounds to the side and rear?

How would you compare the 9s with OB7s, which is my other leading contender?

Midnite Mick

How would you compare the 9s with OB7s, which is my other leading contender?

I believe this has been discussed earlier in the thread.

Mike

Sean Parque

• http://www.av123.com
New photos are in!  Direct from the brand new factory in Cali, Colombia, here are the latest sample cabinets.  Note the fiishing touches are missing such as the base and the stain/clear coat but you get the idea :)

Sean Parque

One photo of the pair...

Midnite Mick

Very nice.  I like the fact that the drivers don't go right to the floor....I never really understood that.

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

What function do all the rear holes serve?  Is this for ports and what is acheived by having so many?

I must admit I have never heard a line array before.  How do they differ from traditional speakers?  Wouldn't there be a loss of placement of instruments and issues of coherence?

Thank you,
Mike

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Very nice.  I like the fact that the drivers don't go right to the floor....I never really understood that.

The ideal listening height will put you in the middle of the array. The taller it gets the closer it also gets to the floor.

What function do all the rear holes serve?  Is this for ports and what is acheived by having so many?

The holes in the rear are for the ports. They are 2" flared ports from PRP. This many is needed for proper tuning of this box and to keep the load on the woofers consistent. 

I must admit I have never heard a line array before.  How do they differ from traditional speakers?  Wouldn't there be a loss of placement of instruments and issues of coherence?

They sound more real than anything that you've ever heard. Placement of instruments and coherency is excellent. They give you a sound stage with variances in depth, width, and image height depending on the recording.

Midnite Mick

Thanks for the response Danny.

Does floor and ceiling diffraction become more of an issue with these vs. traditional speakers?  Would carpet then be a must?

Mike

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
Floor and ceiling issues are much less of a problem as frequency increases. Higher frequency ranges are limited to the length of the array and will not reflect off of floors and ceilings like a typical point source tweeter will.

As frequency decreases it forms an infinite line and will give you room gain just like and often a little more so, that with typical speakers.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Danny can you give us a little idea where a 6 would fit in as well as a 9, room size etc.  I have a 15' X24' room but with the speakers about 4 to 5 feet off of the short wall and two rows of seating, it puts the first row (the main seating) about 9 feet in front of the speakers.  Now I have always been a guy that felt bigger is better but that may not be the case here.  Would you give us some more insight on the right applications for the 6 vs the 9?  Thanks, Guy

Midnite Mick

Sorry for all the questions but I am a relative Newbie.  If vertical dispersion of high frequencies is basically non-existant, can the same be said regarding the horizontal off-axis performance of the high frequencies as well.

Mike

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
Now I have always been a guy that felt bigger is better but that may not be the case here.  Would you give us some more insight on the right applications for the 6 vs the 9? 

Either will work in your room. Regardless you really shouldn't put a speaker like this (or any other speaker) into an untreated room.  A speaker like these will require a little more attention in that area.

I have also designed a bass management system that will allow some flexibility in dialing in the bottom end or adjusting for your room gain.

If vertical dispersion of high frequencies is basically non-existant, can the same be said regarding the horizontal off-axis performance of the high frequencies as well.

I wouldn't say that it was non-existing vertically. It is great so long as you are within the length of the array (which is a pretty good length).

Horizontally they image great as the 5/8" wide tweeter area has better off axis response than a 3/4" dome tweeter. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Gorgeous work, Danny!  Will that beautiful Onix Rosewood finish be available in those beauties?   :drool:

alotaklipsch

Danny,

how bout a comparison with the Epiphany 12/12's? :duh: :drool:

which do you prefer, and why?

Thanks in advance :thumb:

Brucemck

Danny, what would you suggest for a really great center channel to go with the LS9s?  (I finally broke down and orderd a pair of 9s, yeaahhh!) 

I've got a 39" height limitation (to clear the bottom of the screen), sit approx 11 feet away from the center, and have no diy skills.  I'll have to buy something or have something custom made.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com

To ask Danny to state a side by side comparison is asking a bit much since he designed the Epiphany line for another manufacturer, which is still a current production. It kind of puts him on the spot.

You can be sure it is as good. I would think since he is building upon his knowledge base.

Now the new LS line betters the OB 5 and 7 in some areas and this is what he said about the OB's.

"Overall impressions of the speakers..., I am almost speechless.
Vocals just float in space deep between the speakers as if it were live. Everything is effortless as if there were no load at all on the drivers. This speaker is as good in this area as any speaker I have ever heard. In fact I can't think of any that better it. Even my Epiphany 20/21's come up far short of these speakers in this area.
Imaging is incredible and far exceeds the boundaries of the box. These have a big speaker, or life sized sound to them. "

and

"OB7:

I have had many speakers pass through the doors of GR Research. I have designed new models and product lines for other companies and my own. I have also modified over a hundred different commercial speakers. None have I enjoyed listening to as much as these. "

So there you have it.

The new LS would be utterly world class.

Rocket_trying to save Danny's butt_Ronny

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
What's the approximate release date?  I'm anxious to see pics of them in the Rosewood finish like the Ref 1's I had.

Sean Parque

We are not posting a release date yet due to the number of variables in play still (getting all those drivers here for one...)

We are aiming for a Q1 2007 release however...

Sean

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Any idea when you'll have pics up of the production model?  Any idea when the center will be available?

arthurs

you've seen the protoype photo right Rob?

brj

I knew I should have taken pictures when I was there the other night...

Of course the finish wouldn't have looked at all like the production version.  Rob, you need to get nathanm to combine the proto pic with an image of one of MLS' other gloss rosewood products! :)