Building the ultimate acoustically friendly room - ideas/suggestions?

ctviggen

Very nice, George.  The colors kick butt, too.  I bet the diffuser really helps. 

Hey, do you think that Real Traps can be built into the wall?  I have this dream of building a home theater/multipurpose room, and it would be cool to incorporate the traps right into the wall, particularly if I'd have enough room to build faux walls for the traps and have these walls a few inches from the real walls.  Of course, in the pricey real estate market (even with the recent downturn) in CT, I'll never be able to afford a house that would provide me the opportunity to do this, but I still think about it.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Nice looking room George.  Ethan's diffusors look really slick against the wall color.

I think so too. Good color choice George! :thumb:

Now, if I could just convince George that what he really needs is two more diffusors to line the entire wall. :lol:

--Ethan

Glenn K

Bryan,

> so a centered poly would react differently on each side, refletion paths would be different both in location and in time. <

Could be, but I'm still thinking a QRD will be "more different" at each ear. Not sure. Need to test more. :lol:

I still say a QRD sounds a lot better than a poly. 8)

So, are you now selling polys? :green:

--Ethan

Bryan, debug your phone, I think Ethan is listening in.  :peek: :D

Glenn

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
Ethan!

I sure selling George 2 more diffusors would help the bottom line, but are you not aware that repeating the sequence horizontally leads to lobing problems?  Three is really the limit, and even then it would be better to have one complete sequence 6 feet wide.  All of our models are complete sequence.  We also have inverse sequence, which assists in large spaces.  The proper application of diffusion is a fascinating topic by any means, don't you think?

Allen Rumbaugh

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
Allen,

> are you not aware that repeating the sequence horizontally leads to lobing problems?  Three is really the limit, and even then it would be better to have one complete sequence 6 feet wide. <

That's a new on on me. I was recently in Studio A at the Hit Factory / Criteria in Miami and the entire rear wall was a row of what looked like RPG well diffusors. I've seen the same in many high-end pro studios. Besides, one diffusor six feet wide would be really expensive to ship!

--Ethan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Allen,

> are you not aware that repeating the sequence horizontally leads to lobing problems?  Three is really the limit, and even then it would be better to have one complete sequence 6 feet wide. <

That's a new on on me. I was recently in Studio A at the Hit Factory / Criteria in Miami and the entire rear wall was a row of what looked like RPG well diffusors. I've seen the same in many high-end pro studios. Besides, one diffusor six feet wide would be really expensive to ship!

--Ethan

It had to be freighted which makes it substantially more expensive than UPS but I am happy with the result.  The 6' wide full period panel in the back really does work. 

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
It had to be freighted which makes it substantially more expensive than UPS but I am happy with the result.  The 6' wide full period panel in the back really does work.

Excellent, of course it's the results that matter! :)

--Ethan