Something new that sounds incredible

ebag4

Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #120 on: 24 May 2014, 12:22 am »
This is with 12" servos and 1.5" walls in a "U" frame.  I think I may give this one a shot.  My hope is that the bass is still as great as it is with the "H" frame.  Both servos are shown on one side but they will be on opposite sides.  I may be able to make it a little shorter overall depending on how much overlap I can get with the servos inside the box.

Danny Richie

« Reply #121 on: 24 May 2014, 12:47 am »
Dang, that looks good.

ebag4

« Reply #122 on: 24 May 2014, 01:28 am »
Dang, that looks good.
Thanks.  Not counting the base (which may change to outriggers) it is only 9.75" wide!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #123 on: 24 May 2014, 02:54 am »
I'm thinking about initially using dual non servo 8" subs for the sub towers since I already have some of the X-sub drivers and 300w (into 4 ohms) plate amps. 

Can these drivers be used in an OB "H" frame or should they be in a ported box?

If in a ported box, can the port be on the top like the X-Sub or does it need to be on the bottom?

iamediam

« Reply #124 on: 24 May 2014, 09:12 am »
For the U frame, does the amp need to be mounted right side up, or can it be mounted sideways? Trying to fit it in right side up, I've ended up with a box 32" tall. Mounting it sideways would reduce it about 4" or so, but since the height of the amp is longer than the depth of the box, that section would have to be made deeper. Or could the entire box be made a little deeper?

Also, does the baffle of the MMTMM need to be aligned with the front of the sub box? This makes the wing stick out quite a bit over the 7"x10" footprint. However, pushing it out and to one side - aligning the edge of the short wing with the corner of the box seems to result in a pretty good fit. Would there be any issues with this?

AKLegal

« Reply #125 on: 24 May 2014, 01:04 pm »
For the U frame, does the amp need to be mounted right side up, or can it be mounted sideways? Trying to fit it in right side up, I've ended up with a box 32" tall. Mounting it sideways would reduce it about 4" or so, but since the height of the amp is longer than the depth of the box, that section would have to be made deeper. Or could the entire box be made a little deeper?

I think if height is an issue you could just mount the amp in a separate box.

ebag4

« Reply #126 on: 24 May 2014, 02:04 pm »
You can let the drivers space overlap somewhat, that will reduce the height.

Danny Richie

« Reply #127 on: 24 May 2014, 05:01 pm »
You guys are awesome. Some of those drawings look really good.

AKLegal

« Reply #128 on: 24 May 2014, 05:42 pm »
How much power would the mmtmm section be able to handle?

iamediam

« Reply #129 on: 24 May 2014, 06:35 pm »
I think if height is an issue you could just mount the amp in a separate box.
You can let the drivers space overlap somewhat, that will reduce the height.

Thanks guys. Good suggestions. I'm actually okay with the height. I was more concerned with rigidity since the hole for the amp would take up most of the width of one side. But thinking about it some more, I don't think there's any reason this can't be fixed by just boxing in the amp by making the lower brace solid and adding extra panels.

Danny Richie

« Reply #130 on: 24 May 2014, 07:41 pm »
How much power would the mmtmm section be able to handle?

With the lows filtered away your ears should give way before the drivers do. I wouldn't worry about power handling.

nrenter

« Reply #131 on: 24 May 2014, 08:47 pm »
Personally, I think you'd be better off with a bass module / subwoofer separate from a WWWWWWWWWMMTMM module. A good servo sub can be used with whatever speaker system is place. Plus, it allows you to optimize physical placement of each component separately.

Danny Richie

« Reply #132 on: 24 May 2014, 09:33 pm »
Personally, I think you'd be better off with a bass module / subwoofer separate from a WWWWWWWWWMMTMM module. A good servo sub can be used with whatever speaker system is place. Plus, it allows you to optimize physical placement of each component separately.

Okay, I'll put you down for that model.  :green:

ebag4

« Reply #133 on: 24 May 2014, 10:27 pm »
Danny, do you know when you will have the final price and the flatpacks will be available?

Danny Richie

« Reply #134 on: 25 May 2014, 01:59 am »
Danny, do you know when you will have the final price and the flatpacks will be available?

I am going to get a hold of Ben and see if I can get him to cut the flat packs. He did a great job with the LGK flat packs.

Raiderone

« Reply #135 on: 29 May 2014, 06:15 am »
Hi Danny, I know the theme of this build is the asymetrical open baffle, but what would the same array of drivers sound like in a sealed enclosure?  If feasible this might be an attractive alternative for those without the space for the open baffle and probably the LGKs would extend near 150Hz (?) or so, to make mating with a conventional sub (that most of us already have) easier/simpler.

Danny Richie

« Reply #136 on: 29 May 2014, 03:33 pm »
Hi Danny, I know the theme of this build is the asymetrical open baffle, but what would the same array of drivers sound like in a sealed enclosure?  If feasible this might be an attractive alternative for those without the space for the open baffle and probably the LGKs would extend near 150Hz (?) or so, to make mating with a conventional sub (that most of us already have) easier/simpler.

It's not a bad idea and they will actually extend down to the 70Hz range in a ported enclosure.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #137 on: 29 May 2014, 05:34 pm »
What would be the differences (pros/cons) between using two vs three of the 8" servo drivers in each of two sub enclosures (one for each channel) with the MMTMM module?

Danny Richie

« Reply #138 on: 29 May 2014, 06:17 pm »
What would be the differences (pros/cons) between using two vs three of the 8" servo drivers in each of two sub enclosures (one for each channel) with the MMTMM module?

Output capability will be the difference. You can also make the same open backed stand that we talked about earlier with three woofers and just mount the amp on the ground behind it.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #139 on: 29 May 2014, 08:14 pm »
Is there a type of alignment where three drivers could be used and keep the overall height of the enclosure to approximately 28 inches?

It looks like an H frame would end up being about 31 or 32 inches tall. That height will work if positioned close to the mid/tweeter section but would be too tall to go under it.