BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

Napalm

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #580 on: 22 Feb 2013, 12:01 am »
HI James,

Today received my BHA replacement, and this unit behaves differently form the former at power-up. The former had the power-led light red and when fully charged turned green, as all my other amps do (power, and pre-amp). This new BHA is green instantly though, did Bryston change the circuits in anyway to allow for this?

Marius

Enhanced capacitors with faster charge time  :wink:

Napalm

« Reply #581 on: 22 Feb 2013, 12:01 am »
------------------------

Marius

« Reply #582 on: 22 Feb 2013, 06:53 am »
Hi Tony,

No external power supply on the BHA. Was only a short wait , say half a second maybe, but enough to get the trusty feeling I was used to.... Then the little click, and green it was.

Marius

Hi Marius,

My BHA-1 also goes to green instantly at power on which is what the owner's manual says it does.  If you were using an external power supply and the power supply was on and BHA-1 was off the LED would be red.

Tony

RLL1

« Reply #583 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:26 pm »
HI James,

Today received my BHA replacement, and this unit behaves differently form the former at power-up. The former had the power-led light red and when fully charged turned green, as all my other amps do (power, and pre-amp). This new BHA is green instantly though, did Bryston change the circuits in anyway to allow for this?

Marius

My BHA-1 goes red to green in the same manner as my 7BSST2's. However, the duration of the red indicator is less than that of the power amps.

Rick

veloceleste

« Reply #584 on: 22 Feb 2013, 08:08 pm »
Mine goes instantly to green.
HI James,

Marius

Maxvla

« Reply #585 on: 23 Feb 2013, 09:59 am »
Interesting. My BHA-1 has a dark blue LED. It goes from off to on without changing colors in about 1/2 of a second after flipping the switch. Mine is serial #2.

jtinto

« Reply #586 on: 23 Feb 2013, 10:59 pm »
Mine goes instantly to green.

Same here
I've only seen the LED as green :D

OgOgilby

« Reply #587 on: 24 Feb 2013, 02:39 am »
Interesting. My BHA-1 has a dark blue LED. It goes from off to on without changing colors in about 1/2 of a second after flipping the switch. Mine is serial #2.

Same here. Goes from off to blue with no red in between.

Marius

« Reply #588 on: 6 Mar 2013, 06:50 pm »
Hi James,

Strange  and unexpected as it may seem, the most missed feature of the BHa1 in my setting is the remote volume/mute control... The br2 would do fine!
Is there any chance Bryston is going to update the BhA with this option?

Marius

BrysTony

« Reply #589 on: 6 Mar 2013, 07:09 pm »
Hi James,

Strange  and unexpected as it may seem, the most missed feature of the BHa1 in my setting is the remote volume/mute control... The br2 would do fine!
Is there any chance Bryston is going to update the BhA with this option?

Marius

+1 on that.  Remote volume control is greatly missed due to the different volumes of CDs.

Tony

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #590 on: 6 Mar 2013, 11:06 pm »
+2.   A lack of remote control volume is IMO a great failing of almost all headphone amps.   It seems like manufacturers assume that I want to sit right next to my headphone rig.  I don't.  So Grace m902/m903 becomes one of my only options.  If Bryston starts including a remote volume,  I will buy BHA-1  almost immediately (if funds allow :duh:)

tomsenko

« Reply #591 on: 7 Mar 2013, 08:41 am »
+2.   A lack of remote control volume is IMO a great failing of almost all headphone amps.   It seems like manufacturers assume that I want to sit right next to my headphone rig.  I don't.  So Grace m902/m903 becomes one of my only options.  If Bryston starts including a remote volume,  I will buy BHA-1  almost immediately (if funds allow :duh:)
The same goes for me. I want to use it as a regular preamp as well, but no remote is a no-no for me.

lycia

« Reply #592 on: 7 Mar 2013, 11:00 pm »
I am on the cusp of buying a BHA-1x (no inbuilt power supply as I already have an MPS-2 with my BP-26) but the absence of the remote control facility is a problem.

mkaiser

« Reply #593 on: 8 Mar 2013, 07:37 pm »
I am on the cusp of buying a BHA-1x (no inbuilt power supply as I already have an MPS-2 with my BP-26) but the absence of the remote control facility is a problem.

I would think twice about the no internal power supply as resale will be nearly zero. Think about it, you will be limited to sell it to people that have an MPS2 only.  :scratch:

mkaiser

« Reply #594 on: 8 Mar 2013, 07:41 pm »
Hi James,
Is there a way to have the gain reduced on the BHA? The reason I ask is because the volume is very sensitive on mine. If 7am on the dial is no volume then at 8-830 it is very loud. This is with listening through speakers. My 4B gain is at the lowest setting.

Thanks, Mark

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #595 on: 8 Mar 2013, 08:00 pm »
Hi James,
Is there a way to have the gain reduced on the BHA? The reason I ask is because the volume is very sensitive on mine. If 7am on the dial is no volume then at 8-830 it is very loud. This is with listening through speakers. My 4B gain is at the lowest setting.

Thanks, Mark

Yes we can - email Mike - mpickett@bryston.com

mkaiser

« Reply #596 on: 8 Mar 2013, 09:04 pm »
Yes we can - email Mike - mpickett@bryston.com

Great, thanks James.

hardwarenick

« Reply #597 on: 10 Mar 2013, 10:29 am »
Hi All,

Just signed up to post after having lurked for a while in the lead-up to my purchase of the BHA-1 a month ago.

I've found an issue similar to that described by Vipers and Marius a few pages back. Emailed James on the 2nd of March and have followed up once since, with no response received. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and if Vipers/Marius read this, did you get anywhere in investigating or speaking to James/Bryston about this issue?

Re my issue, details of my email sent to James on March 2nd below.

Hi James,

Just stumbled upon something random with my amp which seems to be what a few others have found too.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=iaat7supes1ddms77uaavbe483&topic=104028.msg1160641#msg1160641

This concerns a strange lack of linear volume increase on the knob.

Following the previous email re hearing some very faint music at 0%, when I was experimenting tonight by turning my DAC volume down and bumping my amp volume up, I found that the sound increased to about 80-90% max volume with the knob turned up till around 9/10 o'clock. Turning past this point yielded virtually no perceptible gain in volume until approximately 4o'clock. From approximately 4 to 5 o'clock the amp then boosted it's volume audibly.

Why is this happening and is it normal?

In normal usage, whereby my DAC is at max volume, I've never faced this issue as I've only ever needed to go to 8-9o'clock on the amp for more than sufficient volume.

Thanks,
Nick

hardwarenick

« Reply #598 on: 10 Mar 2013, 10:32 pm »
On a more random/administration note, why is this thread not stickied like the other Bryston product threads?

Blackstone

« Reply #599 on: 12 Mar 2013, 08:20 am »
So I read somewhere that James has added a pair of HD800s to his personal collection. How do they stack against the PS1000 with the BHA-1, I wonder...  :icon_surprised: