X3's are here! Unboxing, setup and Initial listening impressions

titaniumheads and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. Read 5081 times.

Tyson

Hit 500 hours today and wow that was a pretty major change.  Looking back, I noticed major changes at 100 hours, 200 hours and now 500 hours. 

DBT AUDIO

Hit 500 hours today and wow that was a pretty major change.  Looking back, I noticed major changes at 100 hours, 200 hours and now 500 hours.
Tyson, how in the world are you able to get 500 hours on your X3s so fast?  My system is setup in the family at this time and I wish I could run my system for long periods of time for break in.  If I lived by myself, I would run the system as long as I needed to.  However, the plan is to finish my basement next year and I'll have a dedicated room to play music all night!

Tyson

Tyson, how in the world are you able to get 500 hours on your X3s so fast?  My system is setup in the family at this time and I wish I could run my system for long periods of time for break in.  If I lived by myself, I would run the system as long as I needed to.  However, the plan is to finish my basement next year and I'll have a dedicated room to play music all night!

I've rotated through so much gear over the years that I'm quite the professional at burn in now, haha.  I'm single so that helps too :P.  But at night I'll put on pink noise at a medium-low level, then during the day I'll play music and/or send 40-30hz bass sweeps through the speakers so the drivers get some movement. 

DBT AUDIO

I've rotated through so much gear over the years that I'm quite the professional at burn in now, haha.  I'm single so that helps too :P.  But at night I'll put on pink noise at a medium-low level, then during the day I'll play music and/or send 40-30hz bass sweeps through the speakers so the drivers get some movement.
Ah ha!  I see…. I do have a burn in cd I purchased last year that I like to use as well.  What burn in cd are you using?

mkrawcz

Are we close to a detailed Tyson review and comparison to the Super7s?

Tyson

Ah ha!  I see…. I do have a burn in cd I purchased last year that I like to use as well.  What burn in cd are you using?

Might be the best title I’ve seen all year.  Haha!!

Are we close to a detailed Tyson review and comparison to the Super7s?

Well every time I think I have a handle on the X3’s, they go and change on me!  I’ll give it another couple weeks and then do a full review.

DBT AUDIO

Might be the best title I’ve seen all year.  Haha!!

Well every time I think I have a handle on the X3’s, they go and change on me!  I’ll give it another couple weeks and then do a full review.
I can’t listen to music when I’m not really in the mood, especially when I’m tired.  When I force myself to listen to music, it can seem bright and too loud and that’s with the volume at my desired listening levels.  However, I had some good and bad days with my X5s during the break in period.  Some days they sounded astonishing, some days I thought, “what happened?”  They are my favorite speakers I’ve had in my house thus far!

atlvalet

I have a set of Vandy 3A Sigs and subs, but just heard some Emerald Physics speakers.

Man, I can only assume the X3's are even better.

Donovan84

As mentioned by others here, the X3s will sound suddenly magical one day when they’re broken in. I’m amazed at mine every time I listen to music. The bass is spectacular, as is the overall soundstage. Clayton really knows how to produce a superlative speaker.

Do you use your X3’s for everyday listening with TV programming? If yes, assuming they sound good for this purpose? I’m in a similar situation, I don’t have a dedicated music only room. Anyone else using their Spatial Audio speakers in a dual duty purpose?

Onadifferentnote

A word to the wise, having a dedicated listening room has its advantages, setting up your room to meet the best possible sound possible.  The possible disadvantages. spending more time with the stereo than the family/Wife.  I went down that road and had the best room I could lust for, but a couple years later sold the perfect room and the new house it was in, due to a divorce.  Funny, when I was single, I didn't listen to much music.  Had to sell the system to rebuild my life as divorce was also expensive.

In my new marriage, I always put the emphasis on my wife and kids and my X-3's sound great in my family room and my toddler dances to the music as its her room too.  Is it the perfect room, no, but it still sounds fantastic and my amazing wife likes the acoustical panels i got for the walls.  Your mileage in your situation may vary and this probably doesn't apply to you, but I am sure some in this hobby may have priorities out of alignment (like I did) and if this saves one marriage my post is worth it. A balanced life is the best sounding system I could want. Lessons learned from my audio journey.  Peace and happiness wishes for all in this holiday season.

abomwell

Sage advice! Everything in moderation.

Tyson

A word to the wise, having a dedicated listening room has its advantages, setting up your room to meet the best possible sound possible.  The possible disadvantages. spending more time with the stereo than the family/Wife.  I went down that road and had the best room I could lust for, but a couple years later sold the perfect room and the new house it was in, due to a divorce.  Funny, when I was single, I didn't listen to much music.  Had to sell the system to rebuild my life as divorce was also expensive.

In my new marriage, I always put the emphasis on my wife and kids and my X-3's sound great in my family room and my toddler dances to the music as its her room too.  Is it the perfect room, no, but it still sounds fantastic and my amazing wife likes the acoustical panels i got for the walls.  Your mileage in your situation may vary and this probably doesn't apply to you, but I am sure some in this hobby may have priorities out of alignment (like I did) and if this saves one marriage my post is worth it. A balanced life is the best sounding system I could want. Lessons learned from my audio journey.  Peace and happiness wishes for all in this holiday season.

We had a nice HT setup when I was married, and we used it all together as a family for the most part.  No stereo equipment anywhere else because those rooms were for other family stuff (and is where we spent most of our time).  And she left me anyway.  So, now I'm single and have 2 very nice setups, one in the living room and one in the HT/basement. 

After 23 years of marriage to the one person I truly trusted and thought would always have my back, I've learned to never trust a woman.  That's what my ex taught me.  I don't see how anyone ever gets married again after stuff like this.

Desertpilot

• Retired
Tyson, enjoy what you have going right now.  At an unexpected moment relationships happen.  I've owned a plane for many years.  Sage advice to me was get the plane first and then the wife.  This worked out for me.  The plane is gone now (sweet memories) and the wife remains (LOL).  So, get your system right to where you want it while you are single.

Marcus