Speaker selection advise

chgolatin2

Speaker selection advise
« on: 11 Oct 2009, 09:07 pm »
Getting the new JD 10 from Jolida, need a good pair of Bookshelf or monitor speakers my price range is below the $500 for them.  The amp is rated at 10WPC tubes of course, the minimum recommendation is an 88db for better performance I need something in the 90+db.

Thanks!

Wayner

Re: Speaker selection advise
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2009, 09:36 pm »
How about the SEAS LOKI kit from Madisound for about your price range. You'd have to do some assemby and soldering, but I think it could be done in one evening. Or a pair of Paradigm Atoms? Unless you can find something used.

Wayner  :D

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2009, 10:10 pm »
You could find a pair of used av123 x-cs speakers, about 90db sensitivity at 8 ohm, for less than 500.

My friend bought 3 in a nice palisander rosa finish for 450 delivered about 3 weeks ago.

-Tony

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2009, 10:42 pm »
If you can live with limited bottom end extension, Mike Dzurko at ACI has a B stock pair of Emerald XL's right now in the satin finish for $450.

Bryan

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2009, 10:48 pm »
I may be considered biased, but i'd suggest building yourself a set of Fonkens... <$250 (+ your effort) with stock drivers < $150 more with full zoot FE127eN. If you don't want to build have a look at Bob Brine's offerings. http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/

dave

ltr317

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2009, 02:14 am »
I would also recommend the ACI Emeralds, but with the limited ouput of the Jolida JD 10, it would not be a good match.  I think the HSU HB-1 monitors, with its 92 db sensitivity would be a better match, and it costs less than $300 per pair for the satin finish.  Btw, I was talking to the Jolida guys at this year's RMAF, and they claim the JD 10 puts out about 12 watts.  It's still not a powerhouse though. 

Mariusz

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2009, 02:47 am »
If you can DIY go with dave's recommendation.
If interested, I can also send you "step by step" instructions on fun and inexpensive project using inexpensive drivers.
P.S
I would look for speakers with sensitivity well above 90db with this amp.

Mariusz :thumb:

chgolatin2

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2009, 03:52 am »
Thanks for all the help, the ACI with a 86db would not be a good match, good price though.  Mariouz, I can use you help however I am not a full DIY type of guy so I will need some help...

HSU speakers?  I dont know much about them to judge them.

Mortsnets

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2009, 04:05 am »
used in your price range:
Rega R1 90db
Audio Note AX-2 90db
Sound Dynamics RTS-3 89db
Triangle Titus
JMLab Focal Chorus
Coincident Triumph

ltr317

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2009, 04:15 am »

HSU speakers?  I dont know much about them to judge them.

Well, you wanted advice on inexpensive, efficient speakers and I suggested one that meets those requirements.  It's up to you whether you want to find out more about them. 

Mariusz

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2009, 04:26 am »
I will try to take some pictures of what I have in mind tomorrow and post it.
If you like the idea, I can try to help you build it.
As to the cost of this DIY project, it all depends on your DIY skills, tools and material choice.
It is quite simple and you should have it mostly finished over one weekend.
Drivers that I am using with these are Audio Nirvana 'Super 6' cast frame ($148/pr).
Material for the box is 1.5" butcher block on sell from IKEA (ask for damaged stock - new might be pricey) and some plywood.
Hopefully you have someone with the table saw, router or skillsaw to make the cuts for you.
If not, any wood shop guy can do it for a nice bottle of Scotch. :lol:
My boxes are as small as possible (32.75" high, 9 1/16" wide & 6.75" deep) - reason? They will go to my daughter's room which has some space limitations.
All in all, very nice sounding speakers. I really enjoy it.
If that is not what you are looking for, I have a spare pair of Omega 8" drivers which you can build around.

Best

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2009, 10:55 am »
An easy good efficiency DIY speaker project is using Fostex FE127 extended range drivers (as Planet 10 recommends) in Parts Express pre-built cabinets.  The drivers don't use a crossover and Fostex has recommended port/cabinet sizes for ported designs.  The cabinets have a removable baffle (front) that you can buy replacements for if you cut the port/driver holes wrong.

Even easier, buy Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE speakers ($368/pair shipping included from ascendacoustics.com).  These are small 2-way standmounts that sound great.  I use mine for front left/right channels in my HT system and love them.  Note that the standard finish isn't much to look at, but you're paying for whats on the inside.

Scott F.

« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2009, 11:36 am »
This might sound a little strange but you might consider a pair of JBL 4410 studio monitors. These are a traditional 3 way with a 10" woofer in a ported cabinet. The sensitivity is 91db and crossover points are 800hz and 4.5k. If you look at the impedance plot for the speakers they are fairly benign maxing out at about 25 ohms at about 55hz and no less than about 6 ohms at around 10k. These can be found on eBay fairly regularly for between $200 to $400.

I recently bought a pair of these to use up in my woodshop. I'm driving them with a Rotel 981 amp/970 pre and the sound is more than impressive. Pretty even top to bottom, highs are decent and not too spitty considering the titanium tweeter mated to less than great solid state gear. Bass is nice and tight and well extended for a big room. The mids are reasonably clean and resolving.

I suspect these would be quite a good match to the little JoLida.  In fact, the JBLs sound good enough that I'm seriously thinking about rescuing them from my barn and finding a replacement for them so they can see more time in one of my systems down in the house.

JBL 4410 spec sheet
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4410.pdf

....just my $.02

bigjppop

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2009, 12:00 pm »
I haven't had a chance to listen yet (and I REALLY hate talking about things I haven't heard personally) but have you heard much about Tekton speakers?

Check the following link:

http://www.tektondesign.com/loudspeakers.htm

I am hoping to demo some next month but from everything I've read about them, they might be just what you're looking for.

2gumby2

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2009, 12:05 pm »
I recommend the One Pi from Pi Speakers  www.pispeakers.com  I have the Two Pi Tower and they are great speakers for the money and very tube friendly.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2009, 10:43 pm »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2009, 11:09 pm »
You could probably find a set of used Omegas with the 4.5" hemp driver, or call Louis to see what kind of demos or one-offs he's got around. I think they would be a good match for your amp and sound better than most other single driver high-efficiency speakers, IMO.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2009, 07:27 pm »
Yes, the 2 Pi is a pretty good sounding, efficient speaker.  As I recall the tower version can be built from standard width MDF shelving, so little cutting is needed.  This would be very inexpensive, but would leave you with ugly cabinets or the challenge of somehow finishing them.

Mariusz

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2009, 03:08 am »
Here is what I had in mind.
Speakers aren't finished yet but you get the idea.
I check the price of butcher block at IKEA - 72"X23"X1.5"  list price($159). That should be enough to make one pair.

Mariusz

« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2009, 03:13 am »
But away, I am driving them with 2.5 watts and it is plenty.
Depending on your room size, these shouldn't need a sub in smaller to mid-size rooms.

Best