Favorite brews?

carusoracer

Re: Favorite brews?
« Reply #40 on: 20 Nov 2008, 05:48 pm »
"Weihenstephaner" is one of the best beers I have ever had :drool: Great Choice.

I had a good Italian Beer,birromorettii, also very good.

Standby favorites: Harp, Steinlager, Kalik, Bass, Baltec and Molson Golden.

Hate to say it but I agree with one of the above comments as well, Miller High Life,Ice Cold almost frosty is the best in the summer after cutting the lawn.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2008, 08:25 pm by carusoracer »

RJ

« Reply #41 on: 20 Nov 2008, 06:48 pm »
Two Fav's

#1 Boddington (English Ale)
#2 Wittekerke (Belgian Wheat)

hndaaudio

« Reply #42 on: 22 Nov 2008, 11:42 am »
1) Lindeman's lambic framboise

2) St. sixtus abbey ale

3) Pinkus yellow and green label

The Lindeman's tastes more like (real) fruit flavored champagne.
Both the St. sixtus and the pinkus were off the charts amazing but I have not seen
them for a long time.The pinkus yellow I had is not the same as the one available
here in the states now.If anyone knows of a source stateside please let the group know.
Long time beer drinkers know that most of what we get here in the states is mediocre.
The beer in canada and mexico is much better than the stuff we get here,at least
there are a lot of good microbrewerys to try !

philltubes

« Reply #43 on: 22 Nov 2008, 03:34 pm »
Most anything English.  They ruined Bass Ale, seems about 2 years ago they changed the recipe on the export.  Boddington is good but I prefer Tetley's, the problem is with english beer you can only get a limited selection, they dont sell the good stuff over here.  Whenever I visited my English relatives in Canada we would go to the "Black Dog Pub" and have a choice of around 8 english beers on tap.  I asked my uncle which one I should get, he said "start at the left tap and work your way to the end then settle on the one you like".  Some of the English beers that I like are:

Worthington E
88 Schiling
Double Diamond
Eden Rock
White Horse Ale

Good Summer Beer:  Sierra Nevada,
German:  Wurzburger
Belgium:  Stella and some others

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #44 on: 10 Jun 2009, 11:59 am »
Good English...
There is one type called Carling.
But you HAVE to get it at the pub, out of a barrel, becaue it just does not work on a bottle or box.
I have no Idea why, but Carling really does taste much better in a big barrel. It's like 3 years at least since my last taste of it, but I'm sure this is still the case with it.

I have 3 new types I will taste to day, It's my day off, so I bought 3 for me unknown brews, can't remember what they're called. Will post again tonight with the results of the tasting!!  :lol:

Yo!

Right:

Belgian beer of the name Corsedonk. 7.5% alcohol!!! Quite strong indeed, but not the strongest tonight..
Smooth, slightly yesty and dry and ... hm... no, does not cut it for me.
Pass!
More to come...

Rauch Bier or smoked beer, from Bamberg. 5.1%
"Schlenkerla Smoke Beer.."
Taste: Smoked! Like dried Reindeer heart and smooth Parma ham combined with bitter elements!
Hm... this is the most unusual tasting beer I have ever experienced!!! I like it! 8 out of 10 !!!
Indeed great stuff!

The nex beer has 14 percent alcohol!!! Stay tuned...

From Austria: Eggenberg Brewery, Samiclaus bier!
Sweet, sugary... and a tinge of yeast, no wonder, considering the almost unbeleavable strenght of
this Beer, and it still is only the second strongest lager there  is!
No... utter crap!!!

Oh well, Browerij Het Anker - Gouden Carolus is still the favv!
Imp.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2009, 03:10 pm by Imperial »

BobM

« Reply #45 on: 10 Jun 2009, 12:38 pm »
Speaking of English beers, there's a pub in downtown NYC called the Pound and Pence that has Fullers on tap. I've had Fullers in a bottle but it's not the same beer. Noting like a Fullers porter out of the tap. The bitter is good too.

Unfortunately it's not always easy to stop by for a pint. Hard to justify buying a beer for lunch when your with co-workers who order iced tea.  :nono:

Enjoy,
Bob

funkmonkey

« Reply #46 on: 10 Jun 2009, 06:09 pm »
A few of my favorites (I do like big beers):

Stone - Ruination IPA            -(pricey, but worth it)
Green Flash - West Coast IPA -(big on the finish, tastes a bit like weed (hops closest relative))
Bear Republic - Racer 5 (IPA) -(my goto beer as of late, very hoppy but not overkill)
Stone IPA                            -(my old goto beer)

Celebrator Doppelbock          -(haven't had this one in a while, but was my favorite for many years)
Victory - Golden Monkey        -(pretty tasty triple)
Paulaner - Hefeweizen(Hefe-Weissbier Naturtr?b)    -(my favorite summer brew)
Pyramid - Hefeweizen            -(less expensive than the Paulaner, very nearly as good)

djdube525

« Reply #47 on: 11 Jun 2009, 10:15 pm »
My favorites for the easier to find...
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
Bells Two Hearted Ale
Magic Hat #9 (nice lighter beer)

A couple favs, but a little harder to find locally
Bear Republic Racer 5
Founder's Red Rye (Similar to the Racer 5, but a little better IMNHO)

Now my current all time favorite, although a bit difficult to find (Seasonal)
Bell's Hopslam - Love this stuff...although pricey

turkey

« Reply #48 on: 12 Jun 2009, 03:10 pm »
I have beers I like and beers I don't like, but it would be hard to point to any one as a favorite.

I like pretty much anything from Great Lakes Brewing, and also from Goose Island. I also like a lot of the Sam Adams beers.

I've liked every Belgian beer I've had so far. :)

That reminds me of another beer I like - New Belgium Fat Tire Ale.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #49 on: 12 Jun 2009, 03:41 pm »

For some reason, Fat Tire has never fit my taste. OTOH, their 1554 dark lager is excellent.  :drool:

turkey

« Reply #50 on: 12 Jun 2009, 06:08 pm »

For some reason, Fat Tire has never fit my taste. OTOH, their 1554 dark lager is excellent.  :drool:

I'll have to look for that one and try it.

BobM

« Reply #51 on: 12 Jun 2009, 06:20 pm »
Rauch Bier or smoked beer, from Bamberg. 5.1%
"Schlenkerla Smoke Beer.."
Taste: Smoked! Like dried Reindeer heart and smooth Parma ham combined with bitter elements!
Hm... this is the most unusual tasting beer I have ever experienced!!! I like it! 8 out of 10 !!!
Indeed great stuff!

This is not something that is easily found, that's why I brewed some for myself a few years ago. It's basically an Octoberfest style beer with a smokey nose and slicght smokey flavor. Not enjoyable when it is overdone, but when it is a subtle smoke it is very nice indeed. Think of a mild Islay single malt and you'll understand what I mean.

Bob

timjthomas

« Reply #52 on: 12 Jun 2009, 06:21 pm »
East Side Dark from Lakefront Brewery out of Milwaukee.  Best beer I've ever had!!!

Wayne1

« Reply #53 on: 12 Jun 2009, 06:42 pm »
New Belgium Brewing's Spring seasonal, Mighty Arrow is a really nice brew. Lots of Amarillo and Cascade hops. It is a bit different from their mostly Belgian inspired brews. Their Blue Paddle Pilsener Lager is very clean and refreshing. A fine example of an American brewed, European inspired Pils.

Speaking of Pils, Oskar Blues, of Dale's Pale Ale fame, released their fifth year round brew: Mama's Little Yellow Pils. More of a Czech Pils. Lots of Saaz hops used.

On the more hoppy side of things, Ska Brewing of Durango has come out with Modus Hoperandi.
An IPA with a monster aroma. Available in cans and bottle, this has got to be my new favorite IPA

Boulder Beer Company's Mojo IPA is another great choice for an Amarillo hop fix.

All of the above brews have been in heavy rotation here at Chez Wayne.

If you like smoked brews, you owe it to yourself to find some of Alaskan Brewing Company's Smoked Porter.

It is one of the most award winning beers at the Great American Beer Festival.

I have been getting back into beer judging. For the last two competitions I was lead judge for the smoked beer category. Our calibration beer was Alaskan Smoked Porter for both events.

BobM

« Reply #54 on: 12 Jun 2009, 06:58 pm »
Colorado has to be a mecca for craft brews. Hard to find this stuff on the east coast. We have to rely on Vermont for our craft brews here in NY.  :)

Regalma

« Reply #55 on: 12 Jun 2009, 07:32 pm »
It changes all the time but my favorite at the moment is Sierra Nevada's Southern Hemisphere Fresh Hop Ale, seasonal and only comes in 24 oz bottles.
For a splurge it is hard to beat Stone's Ruination IPA.
Another is Mendocino Brewing's White Hawk IPA
If you can find it German made Lowenbrau is a great lager.

BradJudy

« Reply #56 on: 12 Jun 2009, 07:33 pm »
You're killing me Wayne.  A new New Belgium seasonal and I can't have it!  On the plus side, it looks like New Belgium just picked up a SE distributor (like two weeks ago) and now I can buy 22oz bottles of Fat Tire, 1554 or Mothership Wit.  Unfortunately, they my favorite Trippel is not one of the options at the moment. 

On the plus side, the pubs near me have an impressive selection of micro-brews.  One even has a separate main bar (18 taps of micros) and a Belgian bar (8 more taps of Belgian and Belgian-style). 

I have two new (to me) ones in the fridge - Sam Adams Imperial White and Sam Adams Imperial Double Bock.  Pretty strong in flavor and alcohol content.  I usually like whites, but this is too malty to be a white for me. 

As for a Pils, I was in Prague last fall and even attended a Prague v Pilsen/Plzen hockey game, so I think I'm obligated to like a fresh Czech beer for that category for the moment.  :)

twitch54

« Reply #57 on: 12 Jun 2009, 07:37 pm »
Colorado has to be a mecca for craft brews. Hard to find this stuff on the east coast. We have to rely on Vermont for our craft brews here in NY.  :)

Come on down to SE Pa...Victory Brewing Co , Downingtown, Pa. Always an award winning brew at the various festivals !

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #58 on: 12 Jun 2009, 08:22 pm »
Blandford Fly from Badger breweries is a fab tipple, it has a wonderful zingy ginger taste to it, from the addition of ginger no less  aa!

Nick.

Wayne1

« Reply #59 on: 12 Jun 2009, 08:50 pm »
You're killing me Wayne.  A new New Belgium seasonal and I can't have it!

Here are a couple of New Belgium brews that neither of us can have.

Trippel IPA

The Trip II