The 10 Worst Foods you eat everyday

geezer

Re: The 10 Worst Foods you eat everyday
« Reply #100 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:27 pm »
Do you have Celiac disease? Isn't it heriditary? An autoimmune disease.

I don't have celiac disease. I avoid wheat (and close relations) for the same reason that I avoid potatoes, tomatoes, dairy, and a few other foods, because they cause me to bloat, and sometimes lead to excess phlegm, especially in winter. (The bloating raises my blood pressure.)

Folsom

« Reply #101 on: 11 Nov 2011, 05:00 am »
Please read up all you can about Syndrome X. Mercola.com is the best place for that. paleodiet.com is a must read also. The low-fat diet over the last 30 years is the root of so many of our illnesses today.

What type of fats matters just as much as not separating yourself from fats. Everyone needs Omega 3's in much higher numbers than we consume. Not everyone can digest saturated fat.

Mercola, I think sucks. He has a lot of scientifically insulting information and rips off the Blood Type Diet regularly even though he publicly criticizes it.

The Paleo diet is not that spot on either. For many, many people they do need a vegetable and meat diet, primarily. For other people it is a death sentance. There have been numerous people promoting the concept that have died of colon cancer (Type A blood people). Besides it is actually way too strict and lacking scientific support. The idea "makes sense" but frankly no research shows direct support for the puritanical approach. Here is a quote from Dr. D'Adamo who supports that some people need a very high protein, high meat diet, while others need lack there of in red meat, etc... to put some facts and science behind it....

"Most Paleolithic proponents are living in a romanticized delusion. Almost all of most recent ancestors, just about all around the world, ate less protein that we do, not more. Most vegetables and fruits eaten by paleolithic dieters were originally loaded with phytotoxins that those terrible grain-drunk neolithic idiots were actually smart enough to hybridize out of the wild type strains. "

The reality is that the Paleo diet is like a version of Atkins. Atkins worked phenomenal for a lot of people. However it was way more strict than necessary; just like the Paleo. It is not always about no grains, but often the right grains (some people, like Tyson, feel better with none). This is no different than people that just believe eating organic is the answer, there is not a lot of supporting research showing it matters as much as specific foods. Funny enough the GMO process moves lectins (the offending part of food that people have problems with) to new food, so the potential for them to become harmful is great. The leading lectin doctor in the world was chased out of the USA - now resides in UK - by Monsanto, when he warned about the potential for lectin potential in GMO potatoes.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #102 on: 11 Nov 2011, 12:28 pm »
Historically however cheese has been ever present in our diets.

Cheese has only been present, at the most, since men started domesticating animals about 12000 years ago.  Grain was probably integrated into the diet around the same time, maybe a little earlier as there was grain to be had in the wild.  Homo sapiens has been around about 200 000 years . 

Perhaps some people integrated the new foods and diets easily.  Perhaps others are just well adapted to it...

OzarkTom

« Reply #103 on: 11 Nov 2011, 12:47 pm »
If Mercola sucks, he sure has been a huge help in getting my diabetes turned around for the last 7 years. And I do it without any drugs, just diet.

Just in today from Mercola, several videos from MSM on:

Feast Like a Caveman and Watch the Pounds Melt Away

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/11/paleo-goes-mainstream-cbs-news-reports.aspx?e_cid=20111111_DNL_art_1

Dr. Athins was right. But before him, there was Weston A. Price in the 1930's, and before him was William Banting back in the 1860's. The paleo diet is the healthiest for most people walking this earth. That is the diet we actually inherited from our caveman ancestors, not the present diet.

geezer

« Reply #104 on: 11 Nov 2011, 04:10 pm »
I first heard of the 'paleo' diet only a few months ago. When I looked it up I found it is virtually the same as what I have been eating for about the last 20 years (except I do eat brown rice occasionally). I can confirm, in my case, it keeps me slim without any calorie counting or portion control, and it keeps my blood pressure, as well as all my numbers (cholesterol etc.) in the ideal ranges. And this with no need of drugs.

Folsom

« Reply #105 on: 11 Nov 2011, 08:02 pm »
  Cheese has only been present, at the most, since men started domesticating animals about 12000 years ago.  Grain was probably integrated into the diet around the same time, maybe a little earlier as there was grain to be had in the wild.  Homo sapiens has been around about 200 000 years . 

Perhaps some people integrated the new foods and diets easily.  Perhaps others are just well adapted to it...

I don't remember typing that, nor do I agree with it. I edited that post. Perhaps I meant something else and changed thoughts midway through the sentence or something.

Folsom

« Reply #106 on: 11 Nov 2011, 08:12 pm »
If Mercola sucks, he sure has been a huge help in getting my diabetes turned around for the last 7 years. And I do it without any drugs, just diet.

Just in today from Mercola, several videos from MSM on:

Feast Like a Caveman and Watch the Pounds Melt Away

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/11/paleo-goes-mainstream-cbs-news-reports.aspx?e_cid=20111111_DNL_art_1

Dr. Athins was right. But before him, there was Weston A. Price in the 1930's, and before him was William Banting back in the 1860's. The paleo diet is the healthiest for most people walking this earth. That is the diet we actually inherited from our caveman ancestors, not the present diet.

The Paleo diet gives me dark little stools that indicate blood, or straight up bleeding and I lose muscle extensively, not fat. Those results are very normal It doesn't work for everyone because everyone is different, however you have half to 65% of the population that will mostly do well with it.

Seriously a lot of people have died from colon cancer that tried to follow variations on the Paleo, Atkins, Price, anything along the lines of a lot meat including red. It's not for everyone. Plus how on earth could you account for all of the extradionarily healthy vegetarians and vegans? There are as many failing vegetarians and vegans as there are failing PAP's. (Paleo, Atkins, Price)

Mercola is not entirely non-nonsensical but as I said I don't appreciate his total misunderstanding and insulting take on, say, cancer, or ripping off other people. 7 year for diabetes? I don't know your condition but that seems like forever to me. Remission within a year is not abnormal for a lot of people. I am glad however that you are getting around the symptoms. 

geezer

« Reply #107 on: 11 Nov 2011, 08:32 pm »
The Paleo diet gives me dark little stools that indicate blood, or straight up bleeding and I lose muscle extensively, not fat. Those results are very normal It doesn't work for everyone because everyone is different, however you have half to 65% of the population that will mostly do well with it.

Seriously a lot of people have died from colon cancer that tried to follow variations on the Paleo, Atkins, Price, anything along the lines of a lot meat including red. It's not for everyone. Plus how on earth could you account for all of the extradionarily healthy vegetarians and vegans? There are as many failing vegetarians and vegans as there are failing PAP's. (Paleo, Atkins, Price)

Mercola is not entirely non-nonsensical but as I said I don't appreciate his total misunderstanding and insulting take on, say, cancer, or ripping off other people. 7 year for diabetes? I don't know your condition but that seems like forever to me. Remission within a year is not abnormal for a lot of people. I am glad however that you are getting around the symptoms.

Are you saying that the paleo diet encourages eating lots of  meat? I thought it was the other way around.

Folsom

« Reply #108 on: 11 Nov 2011, 09:25 pm »
Yes it does. The Paleo diet is based on eating meat (all forms), vegetables, and fruit. I don't know that the frequency is recommended to be really high, but it still equates to quiet a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

ctviggen

« Reply #109 on: 11 Nov 2011, 09:58 pm »
Not everyone can digest saturated fat.

What?  What evidence of that is there?  I have read many, many books in this area and have never seen such a ludicrous statement.  This is no evidence I know of indicating there is anyone on the planet who cannot digest saturated fat.

ctviggen

« Reply #110 on: 11 Nov 2011, 10:00 pm »
Yes it does. The Paleo diet is based on eating meat (all forms), vegetables, and fruit. I don't know that the frequency is recommended to be really high, but it still equates to quiet a bit.

Low carbohydrate diets have lots of evidence for them and very little evidence against them.  I recommend reading the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307272702

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #111 on: 11 Nov 2011, 10:07 pm »
I don't remember typing that, nor do I agree with it. I edited that post. Perhaps I meant something else and changed thoughts midway through the sentence or something.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #112 on: 11 Nov 2011, 10:17 pm »

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307272702

"Why we get fat".  ...There are those like myself.  When I quit smoking 40 cigarettes a day I gained 5 lbs, which I lost in the next 6 months.  I don't think I could gain 10 lbs if I had to to save my life...

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #113 on: 11 Nov 2011, 10:45 pm »

Folsom

« Reply #114 on: 11 Nov 2011, 11:24 pm »
ctviggen you are seeing things in extremes. No one means ultimatums unless the state them.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7449139

People of blood group A have their enzyme that digests saturated fat (breaks it down into a form that does not contribute to cardiovascular disease and digestive upset) neutralized by their bodily fluids that carry. This is surely one of the reason they have a good correlation cardiovascular disease. On the other hand blood group O has an abundance. When they eat a lot of red meat on the Paleo diet it is no surprise they do well.

By the way only 10-15% of people with cardiovascular disease benefit from reduced saturated fat. It wold make sense that they would be Type A blood, where as blood type O do not have the association because they can actually break down the saturated fat. B can as well, but not to the same extent.

Also you are vastly confusing the idea of protein differences, carbohydrate exclusion, carbohydrate restriction, and carbohydrate choices. Not eating a high meat diet does not mean you eat a high carbohydrate diet, or all types of carbohydrates. In fact many Type A blood while unable to properly digest saturated fats, are best off without a high carbohydrate diet for reasons of blood sugar just like everyone else. There are however people who require more because of high metabolism and lower rates of absorption. That can be a draw back though because it can mean not functioning well without eating all the time. Typically the better nutrition is, the more Type A blood people will be born healthier, have less problems in first have of life, and need to eat less.

And an anecdote from me... the times I lost the most weight, the fastest, was when I went off a higher protein, normal or abstinent carbohydrate diet (high school later years), and ate as much as I could with the exclusion of HFCS, red meat with little poultry. I ate tremendous amounts of food at the time. I did much lighter exercise than at other times as well. The weight flew off me then.

tesseract

« Reply #115 on: 11 Nov 2011, 11:44 pm »
There are lots of studies out now that has found, just cut out the grains and sugar. That:

lowers your cholesterol
lowers your blood pressure
lowers the risk of diabetes
lowers the risk of heart disease
lowers the risk of Alzheimers
lowers your risk of cancer
lowers your chance of tooth decay

Insulin resistence is caused by grains and sugar, we eat way too much of it. This results in Inflammation of the body, which causes nearly all of the modern day diseases that Americans are experiencing today. The low fat diet, the USDA food pyramid, has been one of the biggest reasons. Turn the food pyramid upside down, then you have the diet right. That is more like the paleo diet, which is becoming more and more popular.

This.

tesseract

« Reply #116 on: 11 Nov 2011, 11:48 pm »
I'm going to McDonald's and having a McRib. Ha!
http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/home.html

Thanks!! I worked my ass off this month, and finally get a full two day weekend. Don't feel like cooking, I am going to grab two of these and a 6 pack.   :bounce:

I know... grains and sugar.

Æ

« Reply #117 on: 11 Nov 2011, 11:57 pm »
Thanks!! I worked my ass off this month, and finally get a full two day weekend. Don't feel like cooking, I am going to grab two of these and a 6 pack.

CHEERS! or Bon Appetit. :thumb:

I'm having a good day today. Just sold my little tube amp to a guy on CRAIGSLIST, exactly for the price I was asking.

Folsom

« Reply #118 on: 12 Nov 2011, 12:43 am »
This.

Avoidance prevents a lot of problems but the innocent idea neglects healing and promoting optimum health in many ways too. You can nourish your body in ways that send disease into remission and achieve health like you have perhaps never known by eating foods that are good specifically for you. It often can be more important than what you feel better not eating.

Lets talk about some remarkable good foods to eat in another topic sometime.

OzarkTom

« Reply #119 on: 12 Nov 2011, 12:57 am »
"Why we get fat".  ...There are those like myself.  When I quit smoking 40 cigarettes a day I gained 5 lbs, which I lost in the next 6 months.  I don't think I could gain 10 lbs if I had to to save my life...

And if you don't want to buy this book by Gary Taubes, here is a good article by Gary to read.

What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html