Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server

smargo

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server
« Reply #260 on: 7 May 2014, 03:14 am »
Thanks to ted_ b for turning me on to this awesome site - I can download to my hearts content to the sony player (You can also explore everyone in the world that provides hirez downloaded music)

http://www.findhdmusic.com/albums/search?q=&fmt_dsd=1

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #261 on: 7 May 2014, 03:20 am »
Yeah, and we're working with them to include NativeDSD.com too.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #262 on: 7 May 2014, 10:30 pm »
Thanks to ted_ b for turning me on to this awesome site - I can download to my hearts content to the sony player (You can also explore everyone in the world that provides hirez downloaded music)

http://www.findhdmusic.com/albums/search?q=&fmt_dsd=1

Cool - thanks, guys!

Any sites have free High Res PCM and/or DSD downloads? (that are
both good performances and good SQ)?

wisnon

« Reply #263 on: 8 May 2014, 09:25 am »

Rob50

« Reply #264 on: 8 May 2014, 06:31 pm »
Hi guys,

I received the HAP-S1, earlier today. ( Couldn't buy the HAP-Z1ES. ) Which, at this moment in time, I'm glad I didn't, thanks to the ridiculous, poorly explained HAP Transfer softwear !!
At this moment in time, I have my "computer" showing in the list, if I click to add anything else in the list like "libraries", it doesn't add.
I clicked manual transfer, and it showed 10.000 + files. ( I'll be retirement age, by the time that's transferred !! ) Is it possible to add individual files / albums, from JRiver, ( for instance. ) If so can anyone advise, please ?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #265 on: 8 May 2014, 09:29 pm »

Gzerro

« Reply #266 on: 8 May 2014, 10:48 pm »
Hi guys,

I received the HAP-S1, earlier today. ( Couldn't buy the HAP-Z1ES. ) Which, at this moment in time, I'm glad I didn't, thanks to the ridiculous, poorly explained HAP Transfer softwear !!
At this moment in time, I have my "computer" showing in the list, if I click to add anything else in the list like "libraries", it doesn't add.
I clicked manual transfer, and it showed 10.000 + files. ( I'll be retirement age, by the time that's transferred !! ) Is it possible to add individual files / albums, from JRiver, ( for instance. ) If so can anyone advise, please ?

Rob,

Congratz on the new player. I understand your frustration. The software cannot selectively synchronize, but for a workaround here is what I did:

1) Make a new directory called "HAPZ Music"
2) Set the Transfer Software to Sync to the new "HAPZ Music" folder.
2) Make a 2nd new directory called "Music to Transfer"
3) Copy everything from your music library/JRiver/iTunes etc. into the "Music to Transfer" folder.
4) Move a small number of folders at a time from "Music to Transfer" to the "HAPZ Music" directory. Moving the files instead of copying allows you to keep track of what has already been moved onto the player.

This puts you in control of what transfers, and lets you use your new player as you want during the day. I found I could transfer about 1,500 CD resolution files each night and it would be done by the time I got home from work the next day (by wireless).

The good news is once the transfer is done, you don't really need to mess with the software. The player will automatically synchronize anything new you add to the library.

Good luck.

Tom

peterlim8

« Reply #267 on: 9 May 2014, 01:00 am »
Apart from Gzerro,

read #158 http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/sony-hap-z1es-has-arrived-19079/index7.html

You don't have to use the HAP Transfer software for file transfer, just copy the source from HDD to Sony directly, i.e. Copy-and-paste the entire "Music to Transfer" folder to Sony.

Rob50

« Reply #268 on: 9 May 2014, 07:05 am »
Thank you, Tom & Peter, for your help / advice.

I'll briefly explain, I suffer from severe M.E. / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which affects "cognitive" function, i.e. the simplest of instructions, can be complex !!
I've never even put my music into folders. ( Even without the M.E. I don't think I would be very computer literate !! ? )
I'll try & follow what you suggest, and click the link also. Thanks for help....I'm 50 now....with a bit of luck, I might be able to give some sonic feedback, by the time I'm 55 !!!  :lol:

Rob50

« Reply #269 on: 9 May 2014, 07:19 am »
...just to add....great start to the day !....player not showing in HAP Transfer ?? I'm connected wirelessly...pressed the WPS, but nothing !!
I'm already so tired, through lack of sleep, so it looks like today is going to be even more frustrating than yesterday !!

Update : Panic over for now....player showing on softwear.....now to try and get my head around the transfer issue !!

smargo

« Reply #270 on: 9 May 2014, 03:22 pm »
so - for all those that want to know - i have approx 1,344 songs on the sony (just internal storage)

with a mix of all sample rates and compressions - id say 75% are not compressed at all -          15% dsd -   .5% dsd x2          40% = 192/24  and 96/24 and 48/24 and 88/24 and 44/24 (in alac - flac - wav - but mostly aiff)              and 44% - 44/16 (mostly aiff)

i have used approx 91 gigabytes

and have approx 823 gigabytes free

OzarkTom

« Reply #271 on: 9 May 2014, 06:15 pm »
I need to upload more music but I find I listen to the internet radio 80 percent of the time. The Internet Radio was worth the price of admission for me.

bwillcox

« Reply #272 on: 24 Jun 2014, 04:24 pm »
I've had my HAP-Z1ES for a couple of months now and have been having hang problems with it since day one. I initially attempted to transfer all 34,000+ tracks (flac) and it would periodically hang, usually after 30 minutes to a couple of hours. Once it finally completed with the transfer then it hung almost constantly.

Giving up on this approach, I decided to try transferring only a few hundred or so tracks at a time. Also, I only placed about 1500 on the Sony box. That was much better, and I can get the Sony to play tracks now, but it still will eventually hang (requiring pressing the power button for about 15 seconds to get it to power off). Most of the time it will hang within an hour or two of operation, though occasionally it hangs sooner (30 minutes). When it hangs it usually stops in the middle of playing a track and none of the controls on the front panel work (excepting for the power button when held down for a while).

So far, after powering it off, I can then power it back on immediately and it will then run ok again till the next hang.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? I'm trying to understand if this is a fundamental problem with the device, or if mine is somehow broken.

Steven Stone

« Reply #273 on: 26 Jun 2014, 03:24 pm »
Hello Bill - Are you using Wifi or Ethernet connection? If WiFi try a direct Ethernet connection from computer with music files to the HAP. If this eliminates the problem, your Wifi needs to be a more robust signal. I have a 100 ft long cable I keep around for initial music file installation, yes it's ugly running across the floor while it's in the system but after a day a of heavy lifting file transfer was done and I haven't had to use it since then.

bwillcox

« Reply #274 on: 27 Jun 2014, 08:14 pm »
I'm hardwired (GIGe). I don't really think it has anything to do with my ethernet connection as it will hang just as often when only playing tracks as well. It seems to be simply a function of turning it on and using it.

I do have a fairly complex home network (lots of systems/devices on it) so I may have more network traffic than most.

Steven Stone

« Reply #275 on: 28 Jun 2014, 03:32 pm »
If the music hangs up while playing, and the music is on the HAP's hard drive, the problem is not Wifi or Ethernet, but something else, something I've never experienced with my HAP after almost six month's of regular use. If the music that hangs up is from the Internet tuner section, the problem is still, most likely, network traffic interference or slow-down. Again, I've had "Hi-def" video streaming to Direct TV at the same time as listening to Internet radio through the HAP with no issues and I have only basic Centurylink service.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #276 on: 28 Jun 2014, 03:49 pm »
I just ordered one from Sony.  :green:

Can't wait!

OzarkTom

« Reply #277 on: 28 Jun 2014, 04:32 pm »
If the music hangs up while playing, and the music is on the HAP's hard drive, the problem is not Wifi or Ethernet, but something else, something I've never experienced with my HAP after almost six month's of regular use. If the music that hangs up is from the Internet tuner section, the problem is still, most likely, network traffic interference or slow-down. Again, I've had "Hi-def" video streaming to Direct TV at the same time as listening to Internet radio through the HAP with no issues and I have only basic Centurylink service.

My friends Sony keeps un-synchronizing with his IPad. He is starting to wonder if he has a lemon.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #278 on: 28 Jun 2014, 05:15 pm »
I don't want to hear anything about lemons right now Tom!  :icon_twisted:   :lol:

OzarkTom

« Reply #279 on: 28 Jun 2014, 05:41 pm »
I don't want to hear anything about lemons right now Tom!  :icon_twisted:   :lol:

No problem on mine.  :thumb:

I am really enjoying mine, it has me spoiled.