Seating Distance from LS.

kingdeezie

Re: Seating Distance from LS.
« Reply #20 on: 18 Aug 2011, 06:07 pm »
Skiman, we did have a running joke going on about that! Sadly, I never did get the LS-9, but I am glad I opted for the LS-6s before AV123 went down.

Shortly after that, my wife and I had out son, and I got moved into this really small room that I am in now. The LS9s would have probably not have worked at all.

Thank you for the offer, however I do not live in Denver, I am on the east coast.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2011, 06:33 pm »
Sometimes the best thing you can do when you have an issue like this is to start swapping out gear to find the source of the problem. It's fun too.   :D

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #22 on: 18 Aug 2011, 08:11 pm »
Here are some quick pictures I took with the sh*tty iPhone 4 Camera.

The picture of the chairs is the listening position. Obviously I know that it is bad that I am right against the rear wall. I have no options here.

Im 90% sure the problem is the rear wall comb filtering.

*Scotty*

« Reply #23 on: 18 Aug 2011, 09:59 pm »
kingdeezi,just as an experiment try playing back a wave file loaded onto a flash drive by plugging the flash drive directly into USB port on the DAC. Do not engage up-sampling, just play it back as a 16/44.1 wave file. Some of the grunge might go away.
Scotty

*Scotty*

« Reply #24 on: 18 Aug 2011, 10:19 pm »
kingdeezi,it is very hard to tell how far away your listening position is from the LS6s from the picture.
If you can you might try moving your sectional a foot or two off the rear wall. You almost have to be sitting right in the middle of a major standing wave zone.
 When you sit in the middle of standing wave like this it screws up everything big time. The imaging is destroyed and the entire reproduced spectrum sounds grungy/muffled and indistinct.
The clarity you paid for is not present and nothing you do to the equipment will solve this problem.
Scotty
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2011, 11:49 pm by *Scotty* »

kingdeezie

« Reply #25 on: 18 Aug 2011, 10:53 pm »
So there is no way to fix this problem?

If I can't move away from the rear wall I am completely screwed forever here?

kingdeezie

« Reply #26 on: 18 Aug 2011, 10:54 pm »

Is there any way to fix this issue with treatment?

*Scotty*

« Reply #27 on: 18 Aug 2011, 11:43 pm »
Yes. In other words you are partially screwed as long as you have to have your system in a room this small.
The wave-lengths at the problematic frequencies are so long,on the order of 10ft. to 55ft. in the case of 20Hz,that no passive room treatment that will fit in your room will do any good at all.
Scotty

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 19 Aug 2011, 01:43 am »
Your room is no different than the 13 by 19 foot room we had at RMAF with LS-6's and we dialed it in very well. We were heavy on treatment though.

tesseract

« Reply #29 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:38 am »

Agreed. The back wall is the most obvious place to start. A 4 or 6x24x48" thick absorption panel attached horizontally behind the LP would be the easiest and least expensive thing to try first.

sch

« Reply #30 on: 19 Aug 2011, 06:30 pm »
Hello, My room is about the same size and required a lot of acoustic treatment to "tame it", trial and error is my method because I don't have any other!! :green:
As in this case, my listening position puts my sofa right against the back wall.
Please check the photos:

sch

« Reply #31 on: 19 Aug 2011, 06:34 pm »
Now, the back wall:

sch

« Reply #32 on: 19 Aug 2011, 06:38 pm »
One thing is for sure, the listening position in my case was not the optimal, having the back wall there. The only solution was acoustic treatment.
Even the ceiling in my case was treated.
All acoustic elements were "home made" following the bunch of DIY web pages around.
Just to clarify if there is a problem with certain channel, cable, etc., wouldn't be a good idea to listen to the speakers in "mono", one channel at a time? If one sounds "better" or with more clarity, then some clues might appear.
just my 0,000002 cents

kingdeezie

« Reply #33 on: 21 Aug 2011, 04:03 am »
I just saw all this now SCH! Thank you for your input here. Are rooms looks very similar. I am assuming at this point you are happy with the sound you are getting?

If so that is great! It gives me some hope!

I ordered some GIK diffusers and a couple of GIK Monster Panels to get started. I am not handy enough to build much of anything that would look decent. You stuff looks great.

I'll go slow and see where that gets me.

sch

« Reply #34 on: 22 Aug 2011, 05:33 pm »
Yes, I'm really happy with the sound!! :thumb:
Good luck and keep us posted!!

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 23 Aug 2011, 02:39 am »
Hey Santiago,

Your last post (number 34) made post number 30,000 in my circle.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

A big thank you to everyone for making this circle so successful and such a fun place to be part of.

THANKS EVRYONE!

mlbrand

« Reply #36 on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:08 am »
I've got my LS6's in a mid size room (18'x19'), and my acoustic treatment project I did a few years ago really made them shine. I put DIY tri-traps in 3 corners, 48"x24"x4" panels behind each speaker, and three 48"x24"x4" panels on the back walls. Interestingly, I tried treatment panels on the front wall (between mains, behind center channel) and it deadened the mid's and high's a little too much, same for the first reflection points, so I took them down. The tri-traps, behind the speakers, and back wall spots did the job. I have carpeted floor and a lot of furniture, so that may be why treating the other spots wasn't necessary. Plus, my D2 has a really good auto EQ (ARC) system that manages the bass very well.

sch

« Reply #37 on: 23 Aug 2011, 03:52 pm »
Hey Santiago,

Your last post (number 34) made post number 30,000 in my circle.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

A big thank you to everyone for making this circle so successful and such a fun place to be part of.

THANKS EVRYONE!

WOW!!! and my prize is?? ? :green: (Hint: please don't make it an empty cabinet, I still have a bunch around here  :nono:)
Congrats Danny!!!
Santiago

kingdeezie

« Reply #38 on: 26 Aug 2011, 03:10 pm »
So I ordered some Monster Traps from GIK, just a couple to do a little bit at a time, and I hung them yesterday directly behind the speakers, and move the speakers back a little bit.

The sound got significantly smoother, but I think I still have some work to do. I listened to Norah Jones' Shoot The Moon off of Come Away With Me, and it just doesn't sound right.

Norah's voice sounds a touch brittle and is almost out of focus is the only way I can describe it.

I am assuming I may just need to keep treating, especially now the side wall reflection points perhaps.

We shall see.

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 26 Aug 2011, 03:34 pm »
For a room of that size, those speakers look pretty far apart. Try moving them in.