I had a bad accident yesterday.

JakeJ

Re: I had a bad accident yesterday.
« Reply #60 on: 25 Apr 2013, 05:41 am »
I feel your pain.  I separated my left shoulder mountain biking in the Cascades, oh, like 18 years ago.  In 2011 I tore the rotator cuff in my right shoulder lifting a transmission by myself.  My body got older but my brain didn't.  Washington is too far from Texas so I'll just have to wish you well and pray for a speedy and complete recovery.

Rclark

« Reply #61 on: 25 Apr 2013, 06:02 am »
Sorry to hear about your accident Danny, and I hope you get better extremely soon.

brj

« Reply #62 on: 25 Apr 2013, 06:46 am »
Glad to hear that all of your tendons and ligaments are intact, Danny!

Quote from: Danny Richie
I still have popping in the joint and bad pain at the end of the collar bone. So the MRI may have missed something.

The bone projection that extends over the top of your shoulder from your shoulder blade (scapula) is called the acromion process.  This is connected to the end of your collar bone (clavicle) by a cartilage pad called the acromioclavicular joint.  Tearing the AC joint is commonly referred to as a separated shoulder.

Arthrograms are typically better than MRIs at visualizing cartilage and similar tissue, though MRIs tend to be better at visualizing soft tissue.

You might want to Google shoulder separations ahead of talking to the ortho on the chance that it's a relevant topic of conversation.

Danny Richie

« Reply #63 on: 25 Apr 2013, 11:54 am »
Thanks Brian.

Danny Richie

« Reply #64 on: 25 Apr 2013, 03:14 pm »
You were right on the money Brian.

I have a level 1 shoulder separation in the AC joint. No surgery will be needed. It will take a long time to heal though.  :(   And everything from my collar bone to my deltoid muscle is bruised and retaining some fluid. Once the swelling and fluid levels drop then the popping around in that area should go away too.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #65 on: 25 Apr 2013, 03:25 pm »
No surgery sounds like a good thing.  Sounds like you are going to heal up ok, just over a longer period of time than you might have hoped. 
I had hoped to be at LSAF, but I won't be able to make it this year.  Let Gary do all the lifting this time.... just talked to him and he's feeling great. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #66 on: 25 Apr 2013, 08:07 pm »
Consdiering how bad it could have been,  that is great news Danny.
Good luck with recovery, hopefully  it won't ake too long

-jay

THROWBACK

« Reply #67 on: 25 Apr 2013, 09:50 pm »
See? I was right! "You're young and will heal quickly."

I'm happy it was not more serious.

Danny Richie

« Reply #68 on: 25 Apr 2013, 10:18 pm »
See? I was right! "You're young and will heal quickly."

I'm happy it was not more serious.

Me too man, and thanks.

chip

« Reply #69 on: 25 Apr 2013, 11:29 pm »
I am typing one handed again and it is slow going.

Yesterday in my first soccer game I was taken down hard from behind by the goal keeper. He hit me hard enough to knock my feet head high. I landed hard on my shoulder.

The good news is that the X-rays showed no broken bones. The bad news is that the damage is in the joint or ligaments. If I move wrong there are serious clunking noises and pops in the joint.

Pain level is a 1 or 2 if I am not moving and the shoulder is still. Pain level if I move wrong or in any way flex muscles in the shoulder is an 8 or a 9. Sometimes it feels like I am being stabbed.

Now I need to get in to see a surgeon and get a MRI.

Soccer is rough. Last weekend at our game one of the guys on our team had the wind knocked out of him after the goalie from the other team decked him. No card nothing which was BS.

Get better soon!

Skiman

« Reply #70 on: 25 Apr 2013, 11:42 pm »
I'm a little late to this party, but I thought I'd add my two cents worth. A few years ago, I suddendly discovered that I was unable to raise my right arm above horizontal at my shoulder level. No pain, but it felt blocked. Well, it was. It was diagnosed as a shoulder impingement, and can happen for no reason. One cortisone shot, and extensive physical therapy has brought back at least 90% range of motion in my shoulder. While my injury was nothing compared to what happened to you, I just want to emphasize the importance of proper physical therapy as you recover, especially in the shoulder area. Just like speaker designers, there are good and bad physical therapists. Good ones really know what they're doing, and can make all the difference. Hope you get better soon. Oh, by the way, I broke my leg as a kid playing soccer, though it was what was called a green stick fracture.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #71 on: 26 Apr 2013, 12:17 am »
 :thumb:  Once that front delt gets back in line, a little PT to get the strength back and you'll be good to go to keep  that drag car going in a straight line!   :icon_twisted:

I had hoped to be at LSAF, but I won't be able to make it this year.  Let Gary do all the lifting this time.... just talked to him and he's feeling great. 

I'm sorry to hear you won't be able to make it.  I will have to catch up to you the next (next) time around.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #72 on: 26 Apr 2013, 02:26 am »
So glad to hear that you don't need surgery Danny. Take care and recover quickly!

rockdrummer

« Reply #73 on: 26 Apr 2013, 03:15 am »
Glad it is looking up for your injury.  It is tough working through those things. 

Hope it heals quickly.

Ben

brj

« Reply #74 on: 26 Apr 2013, 06:22 pm »
Quote from: Danny Richie
I have a level 1 shoulder separation in the AC joint. No surgery will be needed. It will take a long time to heal though.  :(   And everything from my collar bone to my deltoid muscle is bruised and retaining some fluid. Once the swelling and fluid levels drop then the popping around in that area should go away too.

Glad to hear that it was only a type 1 separation!  Better not to have it at all, of course, but that's about the best you could have hoped for otherwise.  I'm amazed at how many shoulder injuries I've run into lately, although mountain biking and rock/ice climbing are the primary causes in my area.

Heal fast!