« Reply #520 on: 12 Apr 2011, 03:18 am »
Hey Phil,

How's the Tour of Battenkill? 

I recently registered for Tour of the Battenkill...complete insanity... :duh:

http://www.tourofthebattenkill.com/

JoshK

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #521 on: 21 Apr 2011, 04:42 pm »
I have a on-road shorts question.  Do you guys all wear plum smugglers?  Integral or seperate chamois? 

I'd really like to find some shorts that aren't quite plum smugglers but less baggy than MTB shorts (what I wear now) for riding on the road.  Any ideas?

sandbagger

« Reply #522 on: 21 Apr 2011, 04:55 pm »
I dont wear shorts  :o

Bibs, and once you do, you wont ever go back to wearing shorts.  I have never seen or used seprate chamois, doesnt sound like a good idea either.  Stay away from the thick gell(jello) ones as they a bad news.

as far as regular shorts with chamois, have you seen Pearl Izumi Rev Shorts or something like that?

I have a on-road shorts question.  Do you guys all wear plum smugglers?  Integral or seperate chamois? 

I'd really like to find some shorts that aren't quite plum smugglers but less baggy than MTB shorts (what I wear now) for riding on the road.  Any ideas?

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #523 on: 21 Apr 2011, 05:28 pm »
I dont wear shorts  :o

Bibs, and once you do, you wont ever go back to wearing shorts.

+1

JoshK

« Reply #524 on: 21 Apr 2011, 05:43 pm »
Any favorites among bibshorts?   Although I still can't see me wearing plum smugglers

AB

« Reply #525 on: 21 Apr 2011, 06:02 pm »
What do you mean by "plum smugglers"?  8)

IMO you'll need to try on bibs before you commit. I suppose this is true for shorts too but with bibs you have sizing differences between manufacturers that can ruin your bib "experience".

I'm 6' and weigh 155 and have trouble with certain/most bibs having too short straps. So to get the shorts right I need to go with a M size but often this means the straps are too short and I end up with the wedgy thing happening. L sizes means good strap length but too large in the shorts. So I have had to modify a few pairs' straps to get the length I need.

Shorts work for me in the warmer months. I can overheat in bibs.

JoshK

« Reply #526 on: 21 Apr 2011, 06:09 pm »
aka Lycra...looks like your smuggling plums.

jackman

« Reply #527 on: 21 Apr 2011, 07:43 pm »
You mean nut-hugger shorts?  Hee, hee...

I second the suggestion for bibs. I like the Performance Ultra II bibs. They have a waffle weave and the material is not as snug or revealing as some shorts.  If you ride with a group, most serious riders wear form fitting clothing.

I like bibs because the waistband stays in place and you do t have to co stately adjust them like shorts. Also, the Ultra II bibs have a nice comforfable chamois. Oh, they are also relatively inexpensive.  Remember to wear your jersey outside your bibs dint tuck it in!

You get used to the tight fit after a while. It's just a bit strange at first.

LadyDog

« Reply #528 on: 22 Apr 2011, 02:58 am »
Plum smugglers; made me chuckle.

I'm a bit of the opposite, like shorts much better than bibs.  Guess that is why they say to each their own.

Dating myself a bit, but back in the days Nike used to make some great shorts.  They had some mild padding in them, but were not mountain bike long.  Kind of like a tennis short with a chamois.

Will see what I can find for you, but thought Izumi, Descente, or one of those manufactures still made something like that.

jackman

« Reply #529 on: 24 Apr 2011, 02:30 pm »
Jeff, you are probably skinny and don't need bibs!  Bibs are great for guys with a bit of a gut.  They keep your pants up really well.  If you are tall or have a large torso, they may not fit properly.  If not, they are awesome!  Whenever I wear shorts I am reminded of how much I love bibs!

Here is my Garmin data from today. My power numbers are not impressive but getting better.  It was a recovery ride from yesterday's 41 mile ride.  Actually faster today but there was no wind so I was not working as hard.  Also, yesterday was a solo ride (just me and another guy) and I did not have a chance to draft.  Drafted quite a bit today and was able to keep up with the group much better than yesterday. 

Happy Easter everyone!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81194778

LadyDog

« Reply #530 on: 24 Apr 2011, 02:38 pm »
Back at ya Jack.  And Hapy Easter to the rest too.

Yes I must admit when I tried bibs years ago there was not a tire around my mid section.  Now that there is a pretty substantial one due to my lack of dedication this past winter(year), maybe I should give them a try again.

Stay safe out there.

Levi

« Reply #531 on: 24 Apr 2011, 07:57 pm »
I like Bibs shorts and always wear them specially on long rides.

Zipp 303 or 404 ?  Upgrade bug just can't take my mind of those wheelsets.    :thumb:

LadyDog

« Reply #532 on: 25 Apr 2011, 12:09 am »
Levi,
Guess I would say some of it may based on the intent, but of those two, got to go with the 303's.  While I think there are others out there that are on par(maybe even better), the 303's are a "great" all-around wheel.

Levi

« Reply #533 on: 25 Apr 2011, 12:16 am »
Thanks.  Its a tough decision as I cannot buy both.

jackman

« Reply #534 on: 25 Apr 2011, 01:17 am »
Lots of guys in my cycling group have 404's and one guy has 303's.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.  The guy with the 303's (coincidentally) just damaged his rim.  He has a very nice Wilier Cento Uno with full SRAM Red.  I didn't know he had 303's until I found out they were busted.  Always thought they were 404's.  Zipp is a great company and they make all of their stuff in Indianapolis, IN (even though they are now owned by SRAM). 

I'd also suggest looking at ENVE (formerly EDGE) wheels.  Their stuff (bars, wheels, forks, etc) is beautiful and I hope to have one of their forks one of these days.  Their 1.0 weighs 250g and is very cool looking.  Their stuff is made in Utau. 

Levi

« Reply #535 on: 25 Apr 2011, 03:19 am »
Good info there Jack.  Thanks!

jackman

« Reply #536 on: 25 Apr 2011, 11:15 am »
Good info there Jack.  Thanks!

Thanks, I forgot to mention the new Firecrest Zipp design (wider, different shape) is supposed to be more durable, more aero, stiffer and better handling.  My friend rides on HED aluminum rims with the new wide design and swears by them.  The wider tire profile is also supposed to give you lower rollig resistance and better ride quality.

Zipp makes awesome wheels and I was not trying to imply the 303 is less durable than the 404, this is not the case.  I believe Paris Roubaix was won on 303's last year.  Good CF rims are expensive but I understant why people who can afford them use them. 

I fall into the group of people who can't afford them at the moment.  Also, I'm not fast enough to really benefit anyway so it's a non-factor.  Someday...

Levi

« Reply #537 on: 25 Apr 2011, 03:39 pm »
If you really want one, you will try to afford it. My 30mm Zipp 101 is not aero enough but is great when there are gusty winds. The 88/188 hubs made me fell in love with Zipp wheels.  It reminds me of my Industry Nine hubs.

To each his own. What's next...powermeter!   :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #538 on: 25 Apr 2011, 04:05 pm »
If you really want one, you will try to afford it. My 30mm Zipp 101 is not aero enough but is great when there are gusty winds. The 88/188 hubs made me fell in love with Zipp wheels.  It reminds me of my Industry Nine hubs.

I should have said, I have too many other priorities at the moment (wife wants to re-do some rooms in our house and I'm trying to limit my major purchases until I have a good idea as to how much this is going to cost me!).  Also, I could not get a Powertap wheelset and CF wheels so I chose the PT set.  The PT really helps shed light on your fitness level and how hard you are working (improving or not) on a ride by providing a true objective measure - watts.  Until I get stronger and more fit, I don't deserve better gear.

There are lots of CF wheels in my group but the guys with Zipps seem to be the happiest.  I'm surprised there aren't more closeouts on the older non-Firecrest versions.  Those are still expensive! 

jonwb

« Reply #539 on: 25 Apr 2011, 04:45 pm »
Until I get stronger and more fit, I don't deserve better gear.

Amen brother! LOL