Bicycling On-the-Road

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #920 on: 6 Jul 2012, 06:36 pm »
Jeff - I agree with you but if he has a new bike, replacement wheels would be lower on the list than a good saddle, pedals and decent road shoes.   Also, stick tires are often not so hot. This is just my opinion.  Id also get a Garmin 500 before spending mine on new wheels.

Get wheels as a reward for your first 2000 miles or so. That's what I would do. good luck.

Jackman,

Any experience with the Garmin 800?

Online reviews are pretty positive, but I haven't yet pulled the trigger.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #921 on: 6 Jul 2012, 06:42 pm »
I think Levi had a Retul fitting and posted about it somewhere on Audiocircle. A search would turn it up.

Didn't find it via search.

Only saw Jackman post saying a friend did it and thought it was well worth it.

George

AB

« Reply #922 on: 6 Jul 2012, 07:37 pm »
Didn't find it via search.

Only saw Jackman post saying a friend did it and thought it was well worth it.

George

Sorry. I would have sworn it was here. I'll try to remember where I did see it.

jackman

« Reply #923 on: 6 Jul 2012, 07:47 pm »
I have friends who swear by the Retul system. Serotta and I believe Specialized have fit systems as well.  Comfort is critically inportant and a good fitter can work wonders.  Systems like Retul require certification for the fitter so you stand a good chance of getting a consistent fit from one fitter to another.  It's expensive but ususally money well spent.  I have a local guy who did my fitting. He was not certified and did not follow a formal system but he did a great job. After the fit, I rode faster and more comfortable.

Regarding the Garmin, Levi has the 800 and I'm sure he will chime in. That guy has all of the cool toys. He is like Batman!  The 800 has GPS direction functionality and touch screen, color. The 500 is more compact and can display all of the key data but does not have a touch screen or directional gps.  It will tell you where you've gone but will not tell you where to go.

I'm happy with the 500 because I have a Powertap power meter and the Garmin is ant+ compatible. I love it and have owned it for a couple years. 

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #924 on: 6 Jul 2012, 08:07 pm »
Anyone here using Strava?  I signed up last week. . .pretty neat features.

Also, I'm a big fan of iBike.  I currently use the iBike Pro but I'm seriously considering the Dash with power.

Rclark

« Reply #925 on: 6 Jul 2012, 09:45 pm »
 I love blowing past you guys with the fancy gear  :green:... So so satisfying.

that's for jackman, with his old knees, I love everyone else.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #926 on: 6 Jul 2012, 10:26 pm »
I love blowing past you guys with the fancy gear  :green:... So so satisfying.

While listening to your Ncore amps at the same time?   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

George

Rclark

« Reply #927 on: 6 Jul 2012, 10:40 pm »
 Nope, just me. :green: The only sound is WOOOOOOSH!

For some reason the people who get maddest are geared-out women. They can't believe I have the audacity to rip them a new one on my beater. I'm in a t shirt and board shorts, no helmet, clipped in with Shimano's. It's so fun, you have no idea.

I rode past a bike club yesterday, about 15 riders, must have been 20K-30K worth of equipment. I called out, "which one's Lance?"

srb

« Reply #928 on: 6 Jul 2012, 11:24 pm »
I'm in a t shirt and board shorts, no helmet, clipped in with Shimano's. It's so fun, you have no idea.

Certainly not something I would do with 2 square inches of rubber in contact with the road.

I rode past a bike club yesterday, about 15 riders, must have been 20K-30K worth of equipment. I called out, "which one's Lance?"

I'm guessing you end up riding alone most of the time.

Steve

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #929 on: 6 Jul 2012, 11:41 pm »
Nope, just me. :green: The only sound is WOOOOOOSH!

For some reason the people who get maddest are geared-out women. They can't believe I have the audacity to rip them a new one on my beater. I'm in a t shirt and board shorts, no helmet, clipped in with Shimano's. It's so fun, you have no idea.

How old are you?

If my 8 year old son behaved the way you described I would be disappointed with him.  Thankfully, I know he doesn't act like you!

Proud of not wearing a helmet...another great move on your part.

Keep up the good work.   :wink:

George

jackman

« Reply #930 on: 7 Jul 2012, 12:00 am »
Hey Rclark,
I have no doubt most people on this thread could blow by me on a bike these days. My knees are pretty good but that extra 15 lbs I put on in the last year slows me down nicely. 

Honestly, I've never seen anyone blow by my bike group. They are pretty fast and anyone with the ability to blow by them would only be met with admiration.  We're all cyclists doing what we love.  Old, young, fat and thin, we are all riding because it's what we love to do.  I gave up hopes of being the fastest guy a long time ago...but I train to be as fast as I can be.

Once I was wrapping up a brutal 50 or 60 mile ride. I was training intervals and my legs were toast. On my way home, I was taking it easy and a guy on a mountain bike came flying past me. He was standing on the pedals, huffing and puffing.  When he was about fifty yards ahead of me, I sprinted and blasted by him. Gave a big smile as I said, "on your left".  It was a hollow victory because the guy was on a mountainbike, but it was fun.  Smart riders in my group would have let him go.

You will appreciate real cyclists when your chain brakes or when you crash on a solo ride and need assistance.  It's shocking and humbling to see so many people who are willing to go out of their way to help someone they have never formally met. We're all cyclists after all, even us slow guys.

If someone wants to beat me, I'm cool with it. If I'm on the bike, I'm happy. Even when I'm suffering!

Cheers

J

Rclark

« Reply #931 on: 7 Jul 2012, 12:17 am »
 :green:

I dont wear a helmet when I'm on the river trail. No need. Not a car or stoplight in site. For endless miles. Eyes up.

In the city, oh yeah, helmet.

..thinking about joining a group, but no slow people please. And had to razz Jackman a bit.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #932 on: 7 Jul 2012, 12:53 am »
Rclark do you wear a hair net or at least a sweat/summer cap to keep the eyes clear

Rclark

« Reply #933 on: 7 Jul 2012, 01:10 am »
Nope, I wipe it off with my hands. I love it. Cycling is one of the best activities ever.

tybee

« Reply #934 on: 7 Jul 2012, 04:42 pm »
George,

I own a Garmin 800 and really like it.  I am an old geezer (mid 60s) so the larger display and touchscreen are very useful to me, but the 800 has so many features that most of us will never fully utilize.  Like Levi posted a few pages earlier, I can recommend the Bar Fly handlebar mount for Garmins.  The Bar Fly provides more angles for viewing as well as placing the Garmin ahead of your stem which helps my viewing.

I regularly ride 100 -200 miles weekly on hilly routes here in middle Tennessee  with a weekend ride generally of 50 plus miles.  My ridng buddies range in age from 57 -72,  and we can maintain a 20 mile per hour pace for 50 plus miles.  Our 72 year old is amazing for his age.  He loves to lead until he slips below 20 mph, but he can ride at the 20mph pace for several miles before tiring. We also have another gentleman of 69 that rides a Rivendell Rambouillet touring bike on 28 mm tires.  He is a true masher, attacking all of the climbs in 81 to 90 inches of chain and makes it look so easy going over the top.  We have two centuries coming up later this summer, and it would be nice to ride at a 5 hour century pace, something I haven't done in 30 years.  I just returned to serious cycling last year after 25 years of watching my old steel frame bikes collect dust.  Fortunately for me, I found a cycling club that has a membership of 150 with the average age of mid 50s with many competing in triathlons.  There is a large group in this club that really train seriously which has motivted me to get back in shape.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #935 on: 7 Jul 2012, 05:18 pm »
:green:

I dont wear a helmet when I'm on the river trail. No need. Not a car or stoplight in site. For endless miles. Eyes up.

In the city, oh yeah, helmet.

..thinking about joining a group, but no slow people please. And had to razz Jackman a bit.

Landing on your head without a helmet is a serious consideration, regardless of whether you're on a trail or on the road.

jackman

« Reply #936 on: 7 Jul 2012, 05:57 pm »
Tybee,

You are an inspiration.  I am pretty sure most of the big "talkers" can't pull off a legitimate 5 hour century.  It would be fun to see a particularly boastful helmet less chap take a crack at one.  I suspect be would learn some well needed humility.

Congrats and please keep us posted on your continued progress. The best average I've ever achieved on a century was a bit over 18mph.  I'm going to have to train much harder to get to that 5 hour mark.

Cheers

Jack

PS - I encourage anyone who hasn't done it to sign up for a century ride. You will be as impressed with Tybee as I am.

Carl V

« Reply #937 on: 7 Jul 2012, 08:04 pm »
I am mid 50's ride 4-5 week. 20-30 miles rides. 1-2 century's
per year. The Hotter than Hell in Texas is next.
I am impressed with those times Tybee
regardless of the ages in your group...when factoring in the age
WOW! back in the day we never wore helmets, drove without
seatbelts & lived to tell about it. To each his own.

Rclark

« Reply #938 on: 7 Jul 2012, 09:32 pm »
Tybee, that IS impressive.

And Jackman, you are welcome to come ride with me any time. We can talk about humility on the warmup.

jackman

« Reply #939 on: 7 Jul 2012, 09:55 pm »
Tybee, that IS impressive.

And Jackman, you are welcome to come ride with me any time. We can talk about humility on the warmup.

I'll gladly ride with anyone on AC. You won't catch me flapping my gums about how fast I am, regardless of the outcome. 

It's funny but I've never heard a fast guy boast about flying by a group of riders.  The fast guys I know (including my friend who is a time trial racer who raced in the Iron Man world championships last year) are the most modest.  You just might be a rare exception.

I will say one thing - and it's just a hunch because I have no idea how fast you can ride - I bet you are not capable of a sub-five hour century. Don't feel bad, I can't either these days. 

At least I'm not going to hassle you about not wearing a helmet. Guys like you should ONLY ride without a helmet.  Good luck.

I