Who makes amps with Class A bias?

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: Who makes amps with Class A bias?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2014, 03:23 am »
Thanks, I just can't let an important topic like this be misrepresented.

Davey

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2014, 03:38 am »
Who's misrepresenting it?  :)

You're including push-pull configurations in the Class A category as well as single-ended.  I don't have a problem with that, although it was a later development.  My main contention is that amplifiers that have the ability to transition into A/B operation are not really Class A.  That is a misrepresentation......IMHO.

The OP didn't mention anything about Class A/B operation in his query.

No worries.

Dave.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2014, 03:53 am »
I know that Parasound Halo amps provide the first ~20wpc in Class A power, what other companies/models do this?  Thanks!

I have a Parasound Halo A21 and it runs in Class A for the first 8 wpc not the first 20 watts.  My Pass X250 runs in Class A for the first 20wpc and it runs really hot.  It along with my BAT tube preamp heat up my 17x17x10 room in no time.

Vincent Audio runs in Class A for about the first 10wpc.  Van Alstine claims that their 600R runs in Class A for the first 20watts.  There are many others.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2014, 04:11 am »

My main contention is that amplifiers that have the ability to transition into A/B operation are not really Class A.  That is a misrepresentation......IMHO.

No worries.

Dave.

I think you try to draw a distinction between full class-a (se)and part class-a(pp)... :green:

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 27 Jun 2014, 04:33 am »
Your definition of class A applies only to single ended amplifiers. These were the first amplifier ever made and with tubes of course, starting with the De Forest Audion in 1906. Virtually every tube table radio has a class A single ended output stage. Car radios of the 1950's, 60's and into the 70's had a single ended transistor, class A output stage consisting of one power transistor. The car radio makers were right on top of power transistors because it simplified the power amp of the radio enormously. If is quite common to find the name DELCO or Motorola on early power transistors in and out of car radios. The output transistor was prevalent for many years while the rest of the ratio was still tubed.

When we get to push-pull the definition changes. In a push-pull amplifier class A is defined by having the transistor that is going toward cutoff never completely cutting off. Whether made with tubes or transistors the definition is the same.

I believe Nelson Pass is the inventor, or first made popular, the notion of sliding class A where the bias level follows the signal and attempts to keep the transistor going toward cutoff from cutting off. This was in the early 1970s at Threshold. I recall the amp, it was big with a lovely large meter on the front.

Finding out where a class AB amp leaves class A is very easy. Take the idle current (typically 50-100 mA), square it and divide by the load impedance. For a generous example lets use 100 mA which is typical of a cool running AB 100 watt amplifier. That works out to 0.08 watts peak, 0.04 watts RMS for the class A region. The power dissipated is 0.1 amps x the total rail of 100 volts turns out to be 10 watts per channel. The amp runs warm, imagine the heat if you raise the bias to 5 amps required for full class A operation. If the temp rise on the heat sinks is say 2 or 5 degrees while dissipating 10 watts it will be 50 times higher dissipating 500 watts. OUCH! Class A amps need lots and lots of heat sinks. This is why big ones are so rare.

You would have to run 1 amp of idle to get 8 watts peak class A power. In a 100 watt amp that would dissipate 100 watts and need a lot of heat sinking.

+1  :thumb:

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jun 2014, 05:35 am »

You're including push-pull configurations in the Class A category as well as single-ended.  I don't have a problem with that, although it was a later development.  My main contention is that amplifiers that have the ability to transition into A/B operation are not really Class A.  That is a misrepresentation......IMHO.

No worries.

Dave.

Your statement: "In my opinion, the definition of Class A has gotten a little squishy through the years.  In my book only devices that are constantly biased exactly halfway between cutoff and saturation (or the equivalent in valves) can be considered Class "A"." This is only true for single ended. Did you read my post carefully?

Of course we are taking about Push pull amps here, aren't we.

JackD201

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jun 2014, 01:10 pm »
I would love to hear these Valvet E1-R monoblocks someday : http://www.highend-electronics.com/img/Productinfo_VALVET-E1r.pdf

They are Class A, single ended, and use only one power transistor in the output stage. This seems like the cleanest/clearest way to go if you have efficient speakers.

I wonder why more companies don't offer this kind of product in the solid state market. Why should low power single ended amps be limited to triodes and pentodes?  :scratch:

+1 on that.

I guess 10wpc isn't enough power for the vast majority of speakers out there. I've played with the E1 with Von Schweikert DB-99 SEs. Extremely pure tone and very, very holographic. The designer of the E1 used to produce horn speakers but he's put that part of his business on hold. The A3 is one of the most natural SS amps I've had the privilege of owning. At 50wpc it can drive most anything. Inner detail is likewise excellent with these, the E1's big brothers. A client of mine uses his A3s on Avantgarde Trios.

In Europe there're a lot of people using SS with horns. I witnessed the same in Tokyo when I attended the IASJ Tokyo Audio Show last year.

RDavidson

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jun 2014, 01:23 pm »

No worries.

Dave.

Dave, you're right. Several in this thread, including myself, concluded that the OP was enquiring about push-pull class A amps. This thread started as a bit of an off-shoot of another thread regarding amps for home theater (also started by the same OP), when someone in that thread mentioned A/B amps that switch to class A. Hope this helps clear the air.

Davey

« Reply #28 on: 27 Jun 2014, 01:48 pm »
Dave, you're right. Several in this thread, including myself, concluded that the OP was enquiring about push-pull class A amps. This thread started as a bit of an off-shoot of another thread regarding amps for home theater (also started by the same OP), when someone in that thread mentioned A/B amps that switch to class A. Hope this helps clear the air.

Thanks for that context.  I missed that other thread.

Cheers,

Dave.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #29 on: 27 Jun 2014, 01:52 pm »
Well, the discussion makes a little more sense to me now. I didn't see that home theater thread either. I agree with Dave fundamentally about class A. It's either running in class A or it isn't.  Let's see if we can get some more "pure class A" solid state recommendations though. I remember a company called Bedini who used to make a 10 watt solid state amp. That was a good sounding amp back in the day. But I guess only having 10 watts of solid state power on tap is just not going to cut it these days. We need more efficient speakers IMO, not bigger amplifiers. Oh well, I am feeling like a dinosaur too.  :D

I guess 10wpc isn't enough power for the vast majority of speakers out there. I've played with the E1 with Von Schweikert DB-99 SEs. Extremely pure tone and very, very holographic. The designer of the E1 used to produce horn speakers but he's put that part of his business on hold. The A3 is one of the most natural SS amps I've had the privilege of owning. At 50wpc it can drive most anything. Inner detail is likewise excellent with these, the E1's big brothers. A client of mine uses his A3s on Avantgarde Trios.

In Europe there're a lot of people using SS with horns. I witnessed the same in Tokyo when I attended the IASJ Tokyo Audio Show last year.

Hey, thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that. Yeah, maybe low power solid state will eventually (re)gain more popularity in America. I only have 8 watts/ch at my house, and it is plenty loud for me. I don't really understand why anyone would need more than 25 watts per channel these days (tube or solid state) but to each his own.

Back to the class A recommendations .........

RDavidson

« Reply #30 on: 27 Jun 2014, 02:02 pm »
Thanks for that context.  I missed that other thread.

Cheers,

Dave.

No problem. I think the OP unknowingly opened a deeper discussion than intended.....which is cool, because he, and I'm sure several others following along, learned a little something or perhaps have a new / renewed perspective on the definition of Class A solid state (and its variations). Again, big thanks to Roger for keeping the train on the correct track.

Here's that other thread in case anyone wants to follow it also.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126810.msg1339296#new

RDavidson

« Reply #31 on: 27 Jun 2014, 02:17 pm »
I agree with Dave fundamentally about class A. It's either running in class A or it isn't.  Let's see if we can get some more "pure class A" solid state recommendations though.

Rather than get back into the semantics and individual's definitions of Class A, perhaps we should refer to the the two Class A topologies by their true names : Single Ended Class A & Push Pull Class A

Yeah, I understand your definition doesn't include Push Pull Class A, but we can't just disregard it, especially in light of all info that has been exchanged here.

So, regarding SE Class A, I believe Musical Fidelity once produced a small hand full of these amps. I once owned a Musical Fidelity A2, not to be confused with the more known XA-2 or later A3. The A2 ran quite warm and also had quite warm sound, but lacked a bit of drive. I had Paradigm Studio 20 v2's at that time too. Perhaps something higher efficiency would've been a better match, but I was still quite green to the hobby and was just on the fringe of learning about system synergy.

Davey

« Reply #32 on: 27 Jun 2014, 02:20 pm »
Googling of course reveals MUCH information on this topic.  :)  I don't find any particular issue with the generic Wikipedia entry and feel it explains the biasing configuration pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_A_amplifier#Class_A

Dave.

RDavidson

« Reply #33 on: 27 Jun 2014, 02:27 pm »
Nope. Never mind. The Musical Fidelity A2 was not Single Ended.........and thinking about it more, it couldn't possibly be either. With 25 watts into 8 ohms, it would've needed MUCH more heat sinking........like the Pass Aleph 3 (30 watts SE Class A) of the same time frame.

DTB300

« Reply #34 on: 27 Jun 2014, 02:43 pm »
Plinius SA-102 and SA-103....and possibly other modes in their lineup I forgot about...

These amps have a toggle switch so the end user can decide when to run in Class A or run in A/B.   

RDavidson

« Reply #35 on: 27 Jun 2014, 03:06 pm »
Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe at least some GAS amps (Ampzilla) are SE Class A.

Davey

« Reply #36 on: 27 Jun 2014, 03:19 pm »
I'm not positive about all of them, but the original Ampzilla from the mid-seventies was not single-ended.  I had one....much fun to fiddle with.  :)

Dave.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #37 on: 27 Jun 2014, 03:42 pm »

Yeah, I understand your definition doesn't include Push Pull Class A

All I meant to say was class A is Class A. Class A refers to the quiescent current and operating bias point of the device under test. In this case a transistor (solid state). You can have single device, single ended class A, or multiple device parallel single ended Class A, or multiple device push pull class A. But it's either class A or not.  If the devices are biased into class A in the amplifier, then the amplifier is running in class A.

If it is not, then it is not. It has nothing to do with how many watts, pushpull, or single ended.

Why not recommend an amp that runs in class A instead of debate the theory?

RDavidson

« Reply #38 on: 27 Jun 2014, 05:15 pm »
All I meant to say was class A is Class A. Class A refers to the quiescent current and operating bias point of the device under test. In this case a transistor (solid state). You can have single device, single ended class A, or multiple device parallel single ended Class A, or multiple device push pull class A. But it's either class A or not.  If the devices are biased into class A in the amplifier, then the amplifier is running in class A.

If it is not, then it is not. It has nothing to do with how many watts, pushpull, or single ended.

Why not recommend an amp that runs in class A instead of debate the theory?

A) Dude, calm down. I obviously misinterpreted your statement about what constitutes "pure" Class A. It was vague to me and left a lot on the table about what you meant. So, thanks for the explanation.

B) I provided several examples already. I'm not trying to debate theory. I'm trying to stop all the "Well my personal definition of Class A is....." I care only about the true / "pure" definition currently in writing, which includes different methodologies / topologies, whether single ended, push-pull or whatever in an effort to get all relevant info on the table. I am not all knowing on the topic, so if I mistakenly attempted categorizing Class A solid state into just 2 barrels out of 4, it was an honest mistake.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #39 on: 27 Jun 2014, 06:14 pm »
RDavidson,

First, my apologies to you. I am not upset or un-calm. You threw me with your comment about my "personal definition" of Class A. I don't think there is a personal definition of Class A. It just is or is not Class A. That's how I understand it anyway.

Apologies to the group as well.
QE