The NBA

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
The NBA
« on: 14 May 2010, 03:05 am »
As pleased as I am that the defending world champion Los Angeles Lakers are also the #1 seed in the Western Conference Finals this year, that's not the point of this post.

The point is the NBA.  :thumb:

Having said that, how about them Boston Celtics? While not accustomed to liking Boston; Wow! :o   What a great defensive performance to take out LeBron, Shaq and Co.

Boston didn't just win this series... They beat Cleveland.

So who do you think is going on to the Finals? Who do you pick to take it all?

Hoping for a Lakers-Boston rematch,
Jerry

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: The NBA
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2010, 04:08 am »
Me too!  Although I'd like to see a different outcome this time. :eyebrows:  Still, any of the four teams playing now would make fine champions.  It looks to be a great finish.  My hope is to see the Laker's beat the Celtics in six or seven and win the title, but we'll see.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2010, 02:14 pm »
I'm for the real old guys, Nash and Hill, in this one :thumb:  Nothing could be sweeter than sending them away with a championship into the Sunset. 

But, the overall height disadvantage against the Laker's in the next-to-last series of the season (90 games after it began), as much as the Kobe-effect, will likely be too large a wall to overcome.

John

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2010, 04:09 am »
:o WOW - we got ourselves a series now  :thumb:

Phoenix 115, LA Lakers 106

Game 5 coming - tied at 2-all

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2010, 04:13 am »
Tell you the truth, even though I thought the Lakers would steal one on the road, I don't really think this changes the outcome.  Obviously you gotta give the Suns their due but I still think the Lakers will finish them in 6 at the outside.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2010, 04:58 am »
Okay, I understand that no NBA team has ever come back from a 3-0 series defecit to win a series.

Has any team ever tied it up at 3-3, on the opponent's home court?

Darned if I can find the answer.  :duh:

Go Lakers,
Jerry

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2010, 05:25 am »
They've both become series! :lol:  Assuming that L.A. still pulls it out, as I think they will, the Celtics won't have as much time to rest and get healthy as they might have.  Not that either one is assured, of course.  But seeing the Suns win at home doesn't surprise me that much.  I still think it's the Lakers to lose.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2010, 01:20 pm »
Glad to see both teams show some fight, especially the Magic.  Is Vince Carter garbage or what?  A fine player but just is not made of winners material, too mentally fragile I guess.

Both the Magic and the Sun's lived by the three and most likely they will die by the three.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2010, 03:12 pm »
Is Vince Carter garbage or what?  A fine player but just is not made of winners material, too mentally fragile I guess.

Well, not garbage (not with those kinda' hops)...but, a talented player not nearly tough enough to take any team to the top.  Ditto for Richard Jefferson (now with the Spurs).

I am a long suffering Nets fan...I saw both these guys in action (or, inaction as it were :() for a few years.  JKidd and Kenyon Martin made those guys series finalists a few years ago...Carter and Jefferson were role player/posers.

John

launche

« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2010, 04:50 pm »
Yes he is very athletic but I have to say garbage, his play has been garbage.  I didn't want to use that word but it felt appropriate.  I bet Howard thinks he's garbag too.  Howard was having a block party the last game and defensively was perfect.  He walk to the bench and Carter gave him a big long hug and spoke in his ear.  I was thinking forget the hug how about you give him some help.  He's the 2nd best player on their team playing like he should be at the end of the bench (Which to the coach's credit is where he's putting him now).  In the series he's avg. 13 points, 3 Rebs, 2 TO a game and shooting 35%. In the two games the Magic won he scored 3 & 8 points.  Hopefully his time is coming soon to contribute, may be next game will be his time to shine but clearly they can win without him and I'd expect him to be traded next season if they don't.  They are going nowhere with creambuffs like Carter and Lewis, Howard and Nelson have to carry this team and I think they finally realized that.

I thought Jefferson was a steal for the Spurs, was a dud.  I guess it just goes to show how good Jason Kidd is/was.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2010, 06:15 pm »
They are going nowhere with creambuffs like Carter and Lewis, Howard and Nelson have to carry this team and I think they finally realized that.
Yup, Jameer Nelson and Dwight Howard are the warriors on this year's Magic team.

I thought Jefferson was a steal for the Spurs, was a dud.  I guess it just goes to show how good Jason Kidd is/was.
Kidd was indeed that good.  The Nets never won before his arrival or since he left. He's very slow now, but so court savvy he still is good to have most of the time for the Mavs.

Yeah, fortunately for Spurs fans Richard Jefferson was a 3rd or 4th option on offense (after Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker).  I think they mostly brought him in for his supposed defensive prowess with the retirement of Bruce Bowen.  I always thought he was too much of a pussy to play tough defense, myself :roll:

If DuJuan Blair of the Spurs gets and stays healthy...he may be a standout and rebounder like Charles Barkley was.  His continued development will mitigate the Jefferson addition to the fine print. That wide body dude has god-given rebounding and middle-clogging talents :thumb:

John

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2010, 01:10 am »
Has any team ever tied it up at 3-3, on the opponent's home court?

Darned if I can find the answer.  :duh:

I found the answer.  :thumb:

The only NBA team to ever come back from a 3-0 series lead and force a game seven is the 1994 Denver Nuggets, playing against the Utah Jazz. However, Denver won the third game at Denver, not at Utah. (Utah won game 7.)

Orlando is in uncharted territory. No NBA team has ever been down 3-0 and won on an opponnent's home court to force game 7.

While I am pulling for a Lakers/Celtics Finals rematch, I hope Orlando spanks Boston in game 6!  :eyebrows:

Go Lakers,
Jerry

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2010, 03:39 am »
Wow, under a minute to go and L.A. is barely hanging on at home! :o  Maybe this ain't gonna be a gimme after all...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2010, 03:39 am »
Yikes!  Tied with 3 seconds left! :eyebrows:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2010, 03:44 am »
Holy Crap!!!  :o      What a great game!!!  :thumb:

Go Lakers!!!

I Love LA,
Jerry

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2010, 03:45 am »
Holy crap!  The Lakers dodged a big bullet!  And maybe put the Suns behind the eight ball.

launche

« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2010, 03:53 am »
Box out or go get the ball like you want it.
A fine example of the thin thread that seperates champions from the contenders.  Gotta give it to the Lakers players they want it and that extra effort has won them 2 or 3 games at the buzzer in the playoffs.
This is one reason I love sports, it's so dynamic.  One minute you're the worst and the next you're the hero and vice versa.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2010, 01:38 pm by launche »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2010, 04:00 am »
2 Conference Final Series with both the Lakers and the Celtics up 3-2. Anyone up for game 6?  :hyper:

Cheers,
Robin

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2010, 01:36 am »
Jeeze; did Nate Robinson eat four or five boxes of Wheaties before the game, or what?  :o

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: The NBA Finals start thursday, June 3 on ABC
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2010, 08:23 am »
The Boston Celtics will be going for their 18th Championship banner starting with game 1 on ABC this thursday, june 3 @ 9pm est.  :bounce:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 29 May 2010, 06:04 pm by satfrat »