New Naksa Amplifier! Quick Initial Impression......

Audioclyde

Re: New Naksa Amplifier! Quick Initial Impression......
« Reply #340 on: 3 Oct 2010, 02:22 am »
Thanks Johnny; I'm in Tulsa, OK.  I will check into it further.

AKSA

« Reply #341 on: 3 Oct 2010, 04:21 am »
Thanks John,

That's very kind of you.  The truth is, by the time we send the case, the trafo, and the labor charge it is so much easier to do the work Stateside and save heaps of money for Randy.

I much appreciate the kindness of people in our community, it's a privilege to know you guys,

Cheers,

Hugh

Johnny

« Reply #342 on: 3 Oct 2010, 02:24 pm »
Hi Geaten,
Can you recommend some particularly well recorded reference cd's for classical?
I've been getting back into Classical, especially late 20th century "modern" composers, and have had the pleasure of attending some stellar concert performances. Comapring the live experience to that delivered in my listening room has been quite favorable  :wink:
Cheers,
John

Hello Bill

I've look at the Killer dac forum, very informative, seeing few photos and some texts, it's a TDA1541A non-oversampling dac using a passive IV/ resistor and tube output and very best parts aviable.

If I've read it correctly, there is few mod version of this dac
and the parts qualities play a big role in it's sound qualities ?

Have you try it at home on classical orchestral music with the Naksa ?

It would be interesting if Hugh could try this dac with the Naksa and Soraya, with some various music including classical orchestral music.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Johnny

« Reply #343 on: 3 Oct 2010, 02:31 pm »

Sounds good.
If you decide to go for it, we can source the bits stateside, and shipping the amp to Tulsa is not an issue.
Cheers,
John

Thanks Johnny; I'm in Tulsa, OK.  I will check into it further.

bhobba

« Reply #344 on: 4 Oct 2010, 02:00 am »
Hi Hugh and All

I am now listening to my Tranquility DAC through a little Redgum amp for various reasons while my NAKSA is being checked out by some guys over in Perth.  I actually prefer the Tranquility DAC and the Redgum to the Wyed For Sound DAC I used previosly and the NAKSA.  I conjecture that's because the NAKSA is very transparent so the flaws in the DAC were revealed.

This is something I have not heard much about with the NAKSA.  Just how do you guys rate its transparency?  Mike thought it may tame the WFS but it didn't.  Because of that I rate the NAKSA as transparent as just about anything out there. I know Hugh designed it to sound like a transparent SET so it should be transparent.  What do people think?

Thanks
Bill

AKSA

« Reply #345 on: 4 Oct 2010, 02:17 am »
Gee, Bill,

Is this an interesting question!!

Truth is, what audiophiles often rate as transparent is anything but technically.

They will say, and subjectively I agree, that the single ended triode, a really good one, is the most transparent thing out there.  Yet, when you measure them, you see that they have about 2% THD, most of it H2, H3 and H4.  This is in fact very coloured, but it's clearly what many - not all - really like.

This points up that whatever THD is measuring, it's likely not transparency.

Sorry, just muddied the waters....

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #346 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:03 am »
Well I have to say to my ears the NAKSA is just as transparent as Mikes reference Macs.  So I think there is zero doubt its transparency is up there.  But it did have a non fatiguing relaxing quality possibly due to its distortion profile.  The little Redgum is also pretty transparent but you know you are listening to a transistor amp - you don't relax into the music as much - well actually you do when fed with the Tranquility but I know that DAC was designed to emulate a transparent SET.  Thats why I can only imagine how much better the DAC is will be when feeding the NAKSA.  Can hardly wait.

Thanks
Bill

gaetan8888

« Reply #347 on: 4 Oct 2010, 06:04 am »
Hi Gaetan,
Can you recommend some particularly well recorded reference cd's for classical?
I've been getting back into Classical, especially late 20th century "modern" composers, and have had the pleasure of attending some stellar concert performances. Comapring the live experience to that delivered in my listening room has been quite favorable  :wink:
Cheers,
John

Hello John

I use mostly old vinyl record, but some of the best classical recording CD 's come mostly from Naim record, Chesky, Earato, Fidelio.

Bye

Gaetan

gaetan8888

« Reply #348 on: 4 Oct 2010, 06:24 am »
Gee, Bill,

Is this an interesting question!!

Truth is, what audiophiles often rate as transparent is anything but technically.

They will say, and subjectively I agree, that the single ended triode, a really good one, is the most transparent thing out there.  Yet, when you measure them, you see that they have about 2% THD, most of it H2, H3 and H4.  This is in fact very coloured, but it's clearly what many - not all - really like.

This points up that whatever THD is measuring, it's likely not transparency.

Sorry, just muddied the waters....

Hugh

Hello Hugh

Interesting and very truth, you can have an amp with .0002 % thd but sounding with a mist like a cloud, and you have amps with 10 times more thd who sound transparent like cystal glass.

For sure in the reasons for transparency is the type of thd (to much of high frequencies thd harmonics will kill the transparency, etc.. ), the ratio of negative feedback, for mosfet amps they need a minimum of bias, the quality of filtering of the power supply, etc...

But there still some audio engineers who say that amps with same thd measurement will sound same...

Bye

Gaetan

bhobba

« Reply #349 on: 4 Oct 2010, 07:40 am »
I use mostly old vinyl record, but some of the best classical recording CD 's come mostly from Naim record, Chesky, Earato, Fidelio.

If you like vinyl then you really must hear the Tranquility and Mike Lenehans new DAC the PDX.  They really do sound analogue like.  Once we have sorted them out up here in Brissy I will be sending them around Aus for people to hear.  Where do you live Gaetan so we can ensure you can get a listen to them.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2010, 08:51 am by bhobba »

AKSA

« Reply #350 on: 4 Oct 2010, 07:44 am »
Bill,

That might be tricky, Gaetan is north of Montreal, it's pretty nice of you if you send it to Canada.....  but I can vouch for the fact he is an honest, loyal and committed audiophile and completely trustworthy!!

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #351 on: 4 Oct 2010, 08:48 am »
That might be tricky, Gaelan is north of Montreal, it's pretty nice of you if you send it to Canada.....  but I can vouch for the fact he is an honest, loyal and committed audiophile and completely trustworthy!!

Actually that's probably OK as far as the PDX goes.  I was thinking of sending one over to Lonewolfy (Chris) for guys in the US to check out.  Could easily send it to Gaetan first to check out.  Since he is in Canada he should be able to avail himself of Eric Hiders free tryout offer of the Tranquility:
http://www.dbaudiolabs.com/

But I suggest he tries their new signature version - it is supposed to be quite a bit better and Eric has a special on it at the moment as a newly released product.  However you need to be into computer audio since it only has a USB input and is really sensitive to what you feed it.  You need to be into it enough to get a MAC Mini as your source and trick it out with what Eric suggests.  But if you do you have a transport up there with the very best at any cost.

Thanks
Bill

Johnny

« Reply #352 on: 5 Oct 2010, 12:30 am »
Thanks Geaten,
I have lots of old vinyl but only a few really good classical discs.
I'll look at the catalogs you suggest.
Best,
John

Hello John

Bye

Gaetan

AKSA

« Reply #353 on: 7 Oct 2010, 02:45 am »
Bill,

You sent your NAKSA 70 to WA (that's West Oz, not Pacific North West!!) and these guys are very serious about their sound.  Any response from Mario at this stage, or too early?

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #354 on: 7 Oct 2010, 04:22 am »
You sent your NAKSA 70 to WA (that's West Oz, not Pacific North West!!) and these guys are very serious about their sound.  Any response from Mario at this stage, or too early?

I know Mike sent it to them Monday (I use Mike to send stuff because he gets discounted freight).  I don't think it has arrived yet.  And they are indeed very serious about their sound.

Will certainly keep you updated.

Thanks
Bill

AKSA

« Reply #355 on: 7 Oct 2010, 04:57 am »
Thanks Bill!

We'll wait and see......   :shh:

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #356 on: 7 Oct 2010, 10:53 am »
Thanks Bill! We'll wait and see......   :shh:

Mario and the guys are all evidently set but are waiting to get a pre amp.  I don't think they will be waiting long but if any Perth based guys who may be reading this can help out please drop a line to Mario:
http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=6

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #357 on: 16 Oct 2010, 04:38 am »
The Perth guys have started posting their impressions of the NAKSA.  Check it out:
http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php?topic=12.30

Thanks
Bill

AKSA

« Reply #358 on: 16 Oct 2010, 06:49 am »
Hmmm, thanks Bill, pretty good I think.....

Aertex also has one, a LF100 Mark II (the 2007-8 Soraya, in fact) and really likes it.  Hopefully he too will share it around a bit.

Thanks again for your kindness, Bill, I believe this gesture makes a huge difference.....

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #359 on: 16 Oct 2010, 07:37 am »
Hi Hugh and All

Don't worry Mario really likes it. I was just chatting to him on the phone and he is flabbergasted an amp priced like this can sound so good. It blows away pretty much every other SS he has heard - he named quite a few brands NAD, Rotel etc etc - but in particular did mention a $6K job a certain Hi Fi retailer in Perth was touting.  Evidently the vendor was particularly proud of it but after hearing the NAKSA Mario wanted to put them side by side and say - here is how it should be done - or words to that effect anyway - Mario does have a colorful turn of phrase.  However Mario is a died in the wool home brew valve guy into modifying his own amps to get the sound he likes.  Within 20 minutes of hearing his current valve amp he had the soldering iron out modifying it, changing valves and tweaking it.  From someone of that bent his praise of the NAKSA means a lot.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2010, 09:08 am by bhobba »