New Naksa Amplifier! Quick Initial Impression......

bhobba

Re: New Naksa Amplifier! Quick Initial Impression......
« Reply #220 on: 21 Aug 2010, 08:17 am »
I've just sold a complete amp (not something I like to do, too time consuming, but unavoidable with certain locals!), and here are two photographs of the interior, so people can see what needs to be done to get a module up and running.  It's not a big job;  getting a NAKSA up and running is quite straightforward.

Nice work Hugh.  Would that be my amp by any chance?

Thanks
Bill

AKSA

« Reply #221 on: 21 Aug 2010, 08:24 am »
Hi Bill,

That one was for another Bill, Bill Lees, who's just left!!  Yours is also complete, now resplendent with its new badge (which you also see on the display amp!) and yours is ready to go out on Monday!

I will email you tomorrow am!

Chris,

Many thanks for your encouragement!  I try to keep it visually simple and make up for it with good design.  Anything which looks simple is usually anything but...

Cheers,

Hugh

rysake

« Reply #222 on: 23 Aug 2010, 07:40 am »
Hi Hugh,

I am new here. I am quite interested and impressed by your Naksa. Congratulation! Can you explain more the details about the plug AND PLAY modules, what exactly works I need to be done after received the package? What I need to buy afterward eg. like transformers, etc.?

Cheers,

Ron

AKSA

« Reply #223 on: 23 Aug 2010, 07:45 am »
Hi Ron,

Thank you for your post - I invite you to take a look here at my website, where all your questions are explained in detail!

http://www.aksaonline.com/products/products_NAKSA70.html

This explains precisely what you get, and what you need, to put together a working power amplifier.

Hope this helps   :thumb:

Hugh

rysake

« Reply #224 on: 23 Aug 2010, 08:09 am »
Hi Ron,

Thank you for your post - I invite you to take a look here at my website, where all your questions are explained in detail!

http://www.aksaonline.com/products/products_NAKSA70.html

This explains precisely what you get, and what you need, to put together a working power amplifier.

Hope this helps   :thumb:

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Thanks. In fact I read it below. But I am stupid in this area.

Sorry to ask again. I am now considering to buy the NAKSA 70, what
shall I need to build it or you have a fully built/tested stereo power
amp with integrated power supply?

If I purchase the full version, what I need to assemble the NAKSA 70,
I really weak in handle  soldering works? Shall I need to soldering the transformer.

Cause I am afraid I cannot handle with the kit.

Please advise.

thanks

Ron

AKSA

« Reply #225 on: 23 Aug 2010, 08:35 am »
Hi Ron,

You will need Transformer (300VA, 2 x 30Vac secondaries), case (2U racking is fine), speaker binding posts (Superior Electric NP31 are very good), a 5A mains switch, a mains IEC power entry module, and a small amount of wire.

Nothing more.

HOWEVER, if you have never worked with electricity before, and have no access to someone with experience who can check your work, I would not recommend you buy this amplifier.

I am prepared to build a complete amplifier, but not prepared to ship it overseas.  If you are in Australia, OK, I am happy to do it, but otherwise, no, because the shipping overseas is very expensive, typically $AUD250 to Europe, perhaps more.

I'm sorry, options are not strong, as I'm a sole trader and my labour and time is limited.  Assembly of the completed, tested modules is not well remunerated and I must stay with my core business.

Look around your area, find someone with electrical experience who can follow the instructions, then we can talk!

Cheers,

Hugh

rysake

« Reply #226 on: 23 Aug 2010, 08:48 am »
Thanks for your prompt reply Hugh!

Fortunately , I am staying in Hong Kong these days. And I have an experience of shipping more than 10kg by DHL from the States to Hong Kong , it cost me 160 usd. i believe your work and as well as the shipping will be less from Australia to Hong Kong.

Finally , I noted your very busy and would seek your help to make one for me if possible.

Thank you very much.

Ron

PJR

« Reply #227 on: 23 Aug 2010, 11:52 am »
Hi all

This is not quite on topic, but can any of our Australia-based members suggest a reasonably inexpensive way of sending an amplifier (4 unit rack mount type case, weight 23kg) to the UK. A chap in London is interested an Elektor Crescendo MOSFET power amp that has been displaced by Hugh's creations (curse you, Hugh!), but one quote I got was for AU $545.00 - and the bid for the Crescendo is AU $275.00 !!!
Regards, Peter Roberts

AKSA

« Reply #228 on: 23 Aug 2010, 11:00 pm »
Peter,

I have never found anything cheaper than Australia Post - and their max is just 20 Kg.

Another option you could explore is to find someone who works for an airline (or is a traveller and could take it excess baggage), and have them take it on board as private luggage.  Airline workers normally get between 50-75% discount on the standard air rate, which is pretty good, excess baggage for travellers could be a little more pricey however.

It makes international trade on cheaper items particularly tricky, and drives you towards container/ship freight, which is very cheap.  If you were moving a 20 foot container from Beijing to LA, for example, cost would be around $US500, which is dirt cheap per Kg, as you realise!

Hugh

Jens

« Reply #229 on: 24 Aug 2010, 07:07 pm »
Hi Hugh,

The NAKSA 70 is just one heck of an amp!

After my initial impressions, posted earlier here, I have been through a number of my old CDs, and each time I have listened to a well-known track, I have heard details that simply were not there before :singing:

I have come to the conclusion that Dark Arts must be involved here :lol:
The NAKSA renders music with such clarity and palpability that over and over again - on good recordings - you more or less feel you're inside the recording :drool:

Hugh, I don't know what kind of wizardry you have performed to get this amp to sound like this, but whatever you've done, it's a damn good job :green:

This amp is simply enchanted! :eyebrows:

Cheers,

Jens

AKSA

« Reply #230 on: 24 Aug 2010, 10:09 pm »
Aha, Jens!!

This is mucus to my snares!!  (aka 'music to my ears'!)

Thank you very much for your comment, I'm really happy today, Effendi...... :banana piano:

You want to know how I did it?  I can't really answer you, but I can give you some idea of the principles!

The NAKSA was based on the following observations:

1.  The most musical amps are single ended triodes.  They have many faults but they are intensely musical and image wonderfully.
2.  Resolution seems to come from a lesser rather than a greater number of components.
3.  Even order distortion is less discordant, or more harmonious, than odd order distortion.
4.  Symmetrical waveform distortion looks great on a CRO but leads to odd order distortion.
5.  Global feedback tends to cost image depth, and should be reduced where possible by using nested feedback.
6.  Quasi complementary output stages sound very musical.
7.  Abrupt phase changes with frequency seem to utterly destroy imaging accuracy.
8.  Some of the best amps in the world use the most primitive topologies, much sneered at by the cognoscenti.  They measure badly, but sound wonderful.  I resolved to do something that measured well AND sounded good.

All this was packaged into a compact pcb with an integrated supply along with my obsession for low parts count to produce the NAKSA.  From caffeine-inspired beginnings the total development time of this amp was less than four months, something of a record for me.   :icon_twisted:

While the NAKSA 70 is very successful sonically, I'm still working away at the 100 watt version, it's a tough nut to crack, but we'll get there.....   :scratch:

Cheers,

Hugh

Jens

« Reply #231 on: 25 Aug 2010, 10:52 am »
Aha, Jens!!

This is mucus to my snares!!  (aka 'music to my ears'!)

Thank you very much for your comment, I'm really happy today, Effendi...... :banana piano:

You want to know how I did it?  I can't really answer you, but I can give you some idea of the principles!

The NAKSA was based on the following observations:

1.  The most musical amps are single ended triodes.  They have many faults but they are intensely musical and image wonderfully.
2.  Resolution seems to come from a lesser rather than a greater number of components.
3.  Even order distortion is less discordant, or more harmonious, than odd order distortion.
4.  Symmetrical waveform distortion looks great on a CRO but leads to odd order distortion.
5.  Global feedback tends to cost image depth, and should be reduced where possible by using nested feedback.
6.  Quasi complementary output stages sound very musical.
7.  Abrupt phase changes with frequency seem to utterly destroy imaging accuracy.
8.  Some of the best amps in the world use the most primitive topologies, much sneered at by the cognoscenti.  They measure badly, but sound wonderful.  I resolved to do something that measured well AND sounded good.

All this was packaged into a compact pcb with an integrated supply along with my obsession for low parts count to produce the NAKSA.  From caffeine-inspired beginnings the total development time of this amp was less than four months, something of a record for me.   :icon_twisted:

While the NAKSA 70 is very successful sonically, I'm still working away at the 100 watt version, it's a tough nut to crack, but we'll get there.....   :scratch:

Cheers,

Hugh

Ahaaaaa! Magic through caffeine ..... :rotflmao:

P.S. Keep up the good work on the NAKSA 100!

Cheers,

Jens

AKSA

« Reply #232 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:58 am »
Folks,

Now that I've had a suitable self-adhesive badge made for the NAKSA 70, I've been able to mail one out to each and every NAKSA owner, so expect a simple envelope within a few days with a letter and a great badge inside!!

Think of it - new technology, great badge, DIY assembly skills - and brand awareness!!   :lol:

Thank you all for your patience, and for not even mentioning the delay on the badge, I never forget my customers...... :wink:

Cheers,

Hugh
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2010, 03:20 am by AKSA »

bhobba

« Reply #233 on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:44 am »
Hi All

My NAKSA will be delivered to Mike at Lehehan Audio on the Gold Coast today - it may even have have arrived by now.  If you are up that way pop in for a listen.  Check out Mikes new ML3's while you are there - they impressed the hell out of me so much I ordered the signature version.

Thanks
Bill

AKSA

« Reply #234 on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:41 am »
Bill,

This is good - soon Mike can fire it up and have a good listen, I think it will be more than surprising for him.  This is literally a SS amp with all the usual strengths but which sounds more like a tube amp, so this could be a first for Mike.   :thumb:

And for you, Sir, and for you.......   :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #235 on: 30 Aug 2010, 07:05 am »
This is good - soon Mike can fire it up and have a good listen, I think it will be more than surprising for him.  This is literally a SS amp with all the usual strengths but which sounds more like a tube amp, so this could be a first for Mike.   :thumb:
And for you, Sir, and for you.......   :lol:

I hope he has a chance to fire it up but Mike has to fit it in between his speaker building.  Will be going down Friday at the latest to take my WFS and we will definitely get a chance to hear it then.  And after the DAC shootout Saturday we will probably get the chance then as well.

Thanks
Bill

EdwardWest

New Naksa Amplifier! Assembly Question
« Reply #236 on: 31 Aug 2010, 09:50 pm »

Hugh,

I am curious why you seem to put the NASKA module in the case backwards?  :?

I count eleven wires running around / over the heat sink, and one going straight to the front panel.  It seems to lack the elegance in the wiring that I would expect from someone, such as yourself, who sweats all the details.

Best Regards,
Edward

P.S. It has been a LONG time since we've had a chat - perhaps I'd better rectify that!

AKSA

« Reply #237 on: 31 Aug 2010, 10:13 pm »
Hi Ed!!

Thanks for dropping in, great to see you - and yes, we MUST chat, I will email you, set up a Skype!   :D

Thanks for the 'sweat out the details', high praise coming from you in the aviation/machine tool industry!

I wanted to put the heatsink between the trafo and the modules for induced noise reasons, and that meant putting the heatsink fins in the middle.  I could have arranged the modules to face the back, and this would have meant inputs/outputs would have faced the right direction, BUT THEN the adjustments, very easily performed by simply removing the front panel and folding it over, would have been much more difficult.

Like all these issues it was a compromise, of course, and the lesser of evils appeared to me to be the way I've done it.  Of course, you realise the best way only after you've done it wrong, that's the human condition, but in this case, looking back, I've had no regrets so I suspect it's OK!!

Greetings to you and your family in Seattle, Ed, might actually be in WA this time next year!

Cheers,

Hugh

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #238 on: 1 Sep 2010, 04:06 am »
Greetings to you and your family in Seattle, Ed, might actually be in WA this time next year!

Hugh,

If you get that far, do come up and visit if you can spare a day or so... we are only a stone's throw from Ed's

dave

AKSA

« Reply #239 on: 1 Sep 2010, 08:40 am »
Why, thank you Dave!!

I'm going to Vancouver too to meet up with Colin, so I'll be straddling the border.......

Hugh